My thoughts on Abiogenesis.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2012, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 04:31 PM by Atothetheist.)
My thoughts on Abiogenesis.
Hi all, seeing as I bored to hell, I thought I would share my thoughts on abiogenesis. Now, I am just a naive little boy giving my little ideas (that haven't been submitted to shit).

So, let me tell you how this all started:

I was in my Biology Honors class, and we were talking about how Cells are the SMALLEST LIVING things and how we are made up of them. Now, here I was, writing up my notes when a small Idea egged me on... If Cells are the smallest living things, then the things they are made up of aren't LIVING. That means all of their organelles, or any part of them aren't made up of anything living.

Now, this may not be something that might apply, but I was thinking. "If nonliving things make up a living thing, then why can't living things COME from nonliving things If under the right circumstances?

Like, Imagine if the Cell was so simple, it only had the BARE neccessities to survive in its environment, and reproduce, that the things that it was made up from could be easily created due to the natural processes. That, in my view, COULD have been one of the ways a simple cell could have arised. Then this idea prompted me to ask a question "It must have been a really simple cell, why wouldn't it have needed movement, or maybe even defense mechanisms?" Well, this idea was fixed up pretty quickly.

It wouldn't NEED movement if the food source was plenty, seeing as no other living thing could steal it from them. It also wouldn't need defenses because it was the first.

Now, you might ask "How could the Cell harvest the potential food, it would need the right digestive system to survive. Well, given enough time, and enough chances, evolution will happen, and a Cell will be able to digest and thrive.

I asked my teacher about this, and he said, it COULD happen.

Is there any thoughts, or am I completely wrong in my idea of how the first cell COULD have developed?

Also, I would to thank you guys for the responses in advance.

I was using cell in a different meaning, what I was going for was "Smallest living thing" so that's what I meant by "Cell."

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2012, 04:14 PM
RE: My thoughts on Abiogenesis.
I am made up of atoms. Atoms are not living. Therefore, I am not alive.
Perfect William Lane Craig reasoning.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
18-09-2012, 04:16 PM
(18-09-2012 04:14 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 04:08 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Hi all, seeing as I bored to hell, I thought I would share my thoughts on abiogenesis. Now, I am just a naive little boy giving my little ideas (that haven't been submitted to shit).

I was in my Biology Honors class, and we were talking about how Cells are the SMALLEST LIVING things and how we are made up of them. Now, here I was, writing up my notes when a small Idea egged me on... If Cells are the smallest living things, then the things they are made up of aren't LIVING. That means all of their organelles, or any part of them aren't made up of anything living.

Now, this may not be something that might apply, but I was thinking. "If nonliving things make up a living thing, then why can't living things COME from nonliving things If under the right circumstances?

Like, Imagine if the Cell was so simple, it only had the BARE neccessities to survive in its environment, and reproduce, that the things that it was made up from could be easily created due to the natural processes. That, in my view, COULD have been one of the ways a simple cell could have arised. Then this idea prompted me to ask a question "It must have been a really simple cell, why wouldn't it have needed movement, or maybe even defense mechanisms?" Well, this idea was fixed up pretty quickly.

It wouldn't NEED movement if the food source was plenty, seeing as no other living thing could steal it from them. It also wouldn't need defenses because it was the first.

Now, you might ask "How could the Cell harvest the potential food, it would need the right digestive system to survive. Well, given enough time, and enough chances, evolution will happen, and a Cell will be able to digest and thrive.

Is there any thoughts, or am I completely wrong in my idea of how the first cell COULD have developed?

I am made up of atoms. Atoms are not living. Therefore, I am not alive.

How about you write a book?Drinking Beverage

18-09-2012, 04:19 PM
(18-09-2012 04:16 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 04:14 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am made up of atoms. Atoms are not living. Therefore, I am not alive.

How about you write a book?Drinking Beverage

I already have three in production. Drinking Beverage

Poonjab
18-09-2012, 04:20 PM
(18-09-2012 04:19 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 04:16 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  How about you write a book?Drinking Beverage

I already have three in production. Drinking Beverage

Prepare to get three rejection letters.Drinking Beverage

18-09-2012, 04:22 PM
(18-09-2012 04:20 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 04:19 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I already have three in production. Drinking Beverage

Prepare to get three rejection letters.Drinking Beverage

You might like em'. Big Grin

Poonjab
18-09-2012, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 06:26 PM by Bucky Ball.)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...alive-2004

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
18-09-2012, 04:43 PM
(18-09-2012 04:08 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  It wouldn't NEED movement if the food source was plenty, seeing as no other living thing could steal it from them. It also wouldn't need defenses because it was the first.

If it was just a cell, it wouldn't require a way to digest anything, it wouldn't even need what we would call food (I'm assuming you are talking about other organisms when you say food) the nutrients etc could diffuse in. Unless it was phagocitic in nature, in which case digestion can be explained by production of enzymes (think white blood cells).

Any defences and movement would be evolutionary advantages brought about due to competition with other single celled organisms for energy sources.

That's just my take on it anyway.
18-09-2012, 04:49 PM
something like this?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
18-09-2012, 05:37 PM
(18-09-2012 04:08 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Hi all, seeing as I bored to hell, I thought I would share my thoughts on abiogenesis. Now, I am just a naive little boy giving my little ideas (that haven't been submitted to shit).

I was using cell in a different meaning, what I was going for was "Smallest living thing" so that's what I meant by "Cell."

If I'm not mistaken, the localisation of genetic material and proteins within liposomes to form probionts actually contribute to the formation of the early cell.

This article might help if you can access it Big Grin
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...4780900118

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thermodynamics and abiogenesis, new theory nach_in 4 285 29-01-2014 04:49 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Thoughts on The Science Delusion by Curtis White Enlightened Romantic 43 1,933 19-06-2013 08:20 PM
Last Post: DingusVonWarhammer
  Thoughts of a technology addicted nerd Logisch 2 397 02-02-2012 07:26 PM
Last Post: DeepThought