My thoughts on Jaclyn Glenn

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 10:54 PM
My thoughts on Jaclyn Glenn
No, I'm not late to the party, it's just that my YouTube and FaceBook feeds still are being clogged with entries regarding Jaclyn Glenn's thievery so I thought I'd pontificate a bit.

As a career journalist/editor/publisher, it truly pains me when someone lifts someone else's work and uses it as their own. In my business, you'd likely be fired, maybe sued and you'd never work in the industry again. I will say, though, this isn't the journalism industry we are taking about and the Internet is the electronic version of the Wild Wild West. There are no parameters, there are no regulations, there are no legal ramifications and there are no standards.

When people get outraged by her obvious plagiarism, it's for good reason, but at the same time, there's nothing anyone really can do about it. It's hard to imagine a court will here arguments for a suit on these matters. It's quite comical, actually. I've watched countless videos with people calling her names and piling on about how she used information she didn't "create" and at the same time they are using images in their videos that they clearly didn't get permission to use nor did they pay to use them. There is ZERO difference here, yet these hypocrites continue to bash her.

Yes, I have a problem with her literally lifting entire thoughts and sound bytes from other vloggers, etc. It's quite sad and lazy. Clearly she is just trying to cash in on her good looks and somewhat decent ability to speak into a camera while doing the least amount of work possible. But here is my other real problem I have with her:

As atheists, we generally profess to be freethinkers, we do good for goodness' sake and we try to be fair and kind to other people because it's the right thing to do, not because we fear eternal damnation. This is what makes her indiscretions all the more difficult to swallow. She is supposed to have original thoughts, and if not, then give credit where credit is due because that's what a humanist would do. Her laziness is appalling but tolerable. What isn't tolerable is her mistreatment toward fellow atheists and to the journalistic process, especially since she benefits financially from her plagiarism.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2016, 12:04 AM
RE: My thoughts on Jaclyn Glenn
If her channel was strictly taking other peoples content and reading it verbatim as her "thing" and up front informed people about the original video, then I probably wouldn't have any problem with that.

It would be the same as someone doing a cover of a popular song, but she doesn't do that.

She's a fairly known figure in atheist YouTube circles, so besides laziness, I truly can't imagine what was going through her mind that rationalized the direct copy and paste of another persons video and passing it off as her own.

If I were subscribed to her channel, that would be enough to make me unsubscribe.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2016, 02:40 AM
I don't know about plagerism because I never pay attention to that. I just find her really boring and she seems really whiny or "I want attention" or something like that. Basically, she has a Hillary Clinton Personality where she is basically following whatever I would assume the crowed thinks and does and does a bad job at doing it.

As far as copying and pasting a video and calling it her own, could anyone please tell me which video that was?

I sort of do that with some videos I have but I don't call them my own video, they are quite obviously in my "other peoples shit" playlist lol.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
07-01-2016, 04:46 AM
Sorry to lower the standard of the discussion, but I'd really like to spank her.
[+] 7 users Like Mark Fulton's post
07-01-2016, 05:04 AM
In her Christmas video, I remember her saying that Horus was born of a virgin on December 25th. I just had to roll my eyes at that one. Facepalm

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
07-01-2016, 05:13 AM
I enjoy her videos more when they are on mute...... and I am alone Evil_monster

On a serious note I saw she has made a few videos recently with Onision, who I detest. I had no idea she stole other peoples ideas or videos. She is the only person who speaks about atheism I'm subscribed to.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
07-01-2016, 06:08 AM
Here's a video showing the near identical copy & paste from theoretical bullshit.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
07-01-2016, 08:19 AM
(07-01-2016 04:46 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Sorry to lower the standard of the discussion, but I'd really like to spank her.

I agree. Her ice bucket challenge video is very easy on the eyes...... Blush

More on point, I subscribed to her a long time ago but I agree, her videos have become a bit boring. I actually think her older stuff is far more interesting. She was a christian when she started the channel and those videos are still up last I checked. It was kind of interesting to watch her change.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
07-01-2016, 08:43 AM
WTF is a Jaclyn Glenn and why should I care?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
07-01-2016, 08:58 AM
(07-01-2016 08:43 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  WTF is a Jaclyn Glenn and why should I care?

A Jaclyn Glenn is a woman who was gaining quite the following for her YouTube videos, which mostly centered on atheistic topics. But she has been exposed as someone who has been ripping off other atheists' work and pawning it off as her own so she can make more videos for money.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post