My thoughts on religion and life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 11:30 AM
My thoughts on religion and life
This is my first post on this forum and am glad I found a forum with similar minded people. I'd like to start out by stating I am a free thinking atheist. I do not believe in any current religion but have an open mind to the posibility if the evidence for presents itself. I believe in the evidence for evolution and find new discoveries that have been uncovered since my school days such as the knowledge of where the elements come from fascinating. This pretty much sums up how I feel about our existence (sorry for the long post, more below):
Quote:Quote:A
Way Of Looking At The Universe…

You are a tiny
speck of insignificant biological material in an immense universe
that probably defies your brain’s ability of understanding. Yet you are
remarkable, in innumerable ways. Every second of every day you are a walking
ecosystem of life, housing trillions of microbes that continuously interact with
you to keep both you and them alive. Your body is constantly building and
rebuilding itself, encoding information on simple strains of molecules at the
speed of jet engines, in each and every nucleus-possessing cell in your body.
You are a walking, talking, living, breathing orchestra of life, a beautiful
display of the potential inherent in our particular
universe.

You are the remarkable product of an unbroken, let
me say that again, UNBROKEN line of descendants stretching all the way back to
the very first interactions of seemingly pointless inanimate molecules. You
share a common ancestry with every living thing ever, including the estimated
106 billion humans who have ever lived. You are tied to the trees and the birds
and the small phytoplankton that gently ride the crests and dips of the oceans
of this world. You are part of the vibrant tapestry of what we refer to as life,
a piece of art that stretches back billions upon billions of years. Everything
this universe has thrown at you and your ancestors has been roundly
defeated – from harsh radiation, to extraterrestrial objects, to volcanic
eruptions and more. You are a symbol of utter perseverance, of the sheer will to
continue onwards. You are a cry in the dark, the voice of one who will not be
quiet.

So now you’ve realized that there is no inherent meaning to
existence. So what? This doesn’t mean life has suddenly lost meaning – it means
there was no meaning in the first place. So you haven’t actually lost anything.
Instead, you have gained a wonderful opportunity. Give existence the meaning it
is seeking. MAKE a purpose for yourself. Maybe it should be your kids, or maybe
it should be giving from the bounty you have (because let us face reality – if
you have an internet connection and personal computer, you are in the top 10%,
maybe even the top 1%, of humanity). Maybe you should learn a new skill, explore
a new facet of creation that you never realized was open to you.

So why
do you teach a toddler how to behave? Because maybe that toddler will be the one
to find other life, other existence in our so far lonely universe.
Or maybe they will be the father, the mother, the close friend, the lover, the
supporter of the one who does. Or maybe they will be the person to speak out at
just the right moment, the one to stand up and stand out, who will provide the
inspiration, or the moment of connection for the person who does. Or maybe that
toddler will be the one to protect the life around us from an otherwise
inevitable end, from the sucking void of empty existence that we struggle
against every second of our being.

Are you just a breeder? Just biology?
What an insult to biology! Just?!? I forgive you, because you know not what you
say You are the product of a few basic particles, a few basic forces, yet you
are impossibly complex, impossibly intricate. The sheer unlikeliness of your
very existence is staggering, and yet here you are. The title of “breeder” is
just a single facet of what you are. You can be a teacher, a leader, a thinker,
a cook, a scientist, an artist, a musician, a protector, an enlightener, a
champion, a peacemaker, a lover, a friend, a companion, a confidant… the list is
a vast as the seemingly infinite complexities of neuron interactions in the
collection of molecular structures known as cells in your brain.

And let
us not end our poetic license there, for if all that is true, than this is also:

There is something after death. The part of you that continues to exist in all
life around you will never cease to be, not as long as things from this planet
continue to live. You will continue on, interminably, from the beginning of life
to its end potentially countless aeons from now, if ever. Maybe through some
fluke you will be the Eve for humanity in the future, the one woman every human
will trace their ancestry back to. Maybe not. But who can tell what the future
holds. Rather than collapse under the imagined weight of nothingness, I posit
that you should grasp hold of your life, and take it to heights heretofore
unseen.
While I do not believe in religion, I understand that without it's existence all of us would not be here today. Religion has touched one of our ancestors lives in a way that led to us being born. I do believe that today we would be better without religion as shown by the statistics of violence in nations that are primarly theists vs athests. I also believe that our species has been hindered for hundreds if not thousands of years because of religion. In the end though without it we (as in you and me, maybe not humanity in general) would not be here today. Us atheists need to have an understanding of religion and why some people actually believe in it's nonsense (sorry if this is harsh to some, just how I feel). Not all people are capable of dealing with the "real world" without thinking there's some higher power in life. I believe this because in essence we are all animals instincively and not all have evolved to handle the real world like us atheists Smile You can not make an argument that all people would have no morals values without religion, in the same breath you can also make an argument that some people would have no moral values without religion. It's just the nature of the evolution of our mammalian species. There are also many people who need religion to cope with the reality of life (lost loved ones, etc).
Not sure exactly what I'm trying to get at here. Just an introductory post on my thoughts on religion. In summary, I believe all religions are a myth passed down by past generations; religion has been a hinderance to humanities progress, without religion none of us would be here today.
One line summary: I can't believe people believe this shit, but I'm glad that people did or I wouldn't be here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jerm's post
06-04-2012, 12:02 PM

RE: My thoughts on religion and life
Well, thank God the religious hinderence to humanity existed so that humanity could progress to where it is today, culminating in your own personal existence.
You do realize that's what you just said, don't you?
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Nice nickname...I have had people call me that all my life. Welcome to the site..Im a n00b myself.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Welcome, not sure I agree with all of your points but like I've said in another post:

It's about time we celebrated our differences! Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
(06-04-2012 12:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  Well, thank God the religious hinderence to humanity existed so that humanity could progress to where it is today, culminating in your own personal existence.
You do realize that's what you just said, don't you?

I totally agree but aren't you happy to be here to debate these topics and enjoy the wonder of our universe? Do you have kids? Do you not cherish the time you spend with them? It sucks that religion has limited our advancement as a species. I think about that all the time. We never may know what our species would be like or if our species would be here if our early ancestors didn't have these mythical beliefs. What if they did not have these mythical ideas that promoted a group think philosophy that enabled those that couldnt cope with reality to survive. I'm not saying this is in fact the case but we never know. Nor am I endorsing any of the horrific acts caused by religious ideals. I despise the closed mindedness of the religious fanatics.
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Welcome Smile
06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I reread the post and had a thought. It truly sounds like you will be evolving into a completely different creature the longer you stay here lol.

I see things you said as almost accepting religion as a sort of good thing to eventually going a different direction. Just an observation is all.

For instance your comment about us being here because of religion. I wouldn't go that direction with my comments. I would say that it has only slowed our advancement due to close-minded thoughts. If religion had never been introduced then there would have just been another outcome.

The simple fact that our evolutionary progression would have encouraged "boom boom" regardless of the religious interventions predicts that most of us would be here anyway. Smile

— idiot adjective

06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I know my grandparents met at church. If they did not I wouldn't be here. I'd bet if you trace us back there's been a point where religion was a factor in each of us being born. Yes without it there would likely be others just not you and me.
06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
(06-04-2012 01:41 PM)jerm Wrote:  I know my grandparents met at church. If they did not I wouldn't be here. I'd bet if you trace us back there's been a point where religion was a factor in each of us being born. Yes without it there would likely be others just not you and me.
I understand your philosophical point of view but this doesn't credit anything with religion except for it's particular interference within particular situations. Yes everything you do does trickle down through time like a drop in the water in an ocean. It is just illogical to think that religion has any purpose simply because random sequences in life spawned ones existence. It's quite another possibility you and your sequence of genes may have been spawned completely without the interference of religion.

As for comforting people with loved ones. Well yeah you can use that argument or you could see that religion has only allowed a crutch that could have been resolved another way. I accept death just fine without religion and since I've helped my wife with her move into atheism, she has taken recent deaths in the family much easier. We move on regardless of what crutch you use.
To say religion is a good thing because it helps comfort could suggest we find another means to comfort and ditch all of the other nonsense that comes along with the comforting part. We accept at an early age that we are going to die even before we completely believe in all of the nonsense we are fed. It's safe to say some people won't have the evolved capacity to move on past emotional issues. So we just lie to ourselves? It's the long term bombardment of religious beliefs that have made people stick to this sort of thinking. Once they drop the whole idea of afterlife then they can move on to accepting that life is short and we must enjoy what we have while we have it. Smile

Apply logic without bias and it will lead you out of the nonsensical world!

— idiot adjective

[+] 2 users Like Clint Barnett's post