My thoughts on the whole Atheists vs. Theists argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2014, 07:18 AM
RE: My thoughts on the whole Atheists vs. Theists argument
You're one of those silly moving parts engineers. You and your frilly fancy electrons. Concrete and steel! That's engineering!

As you know we can never absolutely prove something does not exist. And as engineers we don't look for perfection. We look for "good enough." And for the most part the mathematical models we have are good enough to explain the universe sans God.

It does sound from your post that you are an agnostic atheist. But we shall see. Welcome!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2014, 12:41 PM
RE: My thoughts on the whole Atheists vs. Theists argument
(08-05-2014 07:26 PM)Dobrev Wrote:  By intelligent interference I mean the idea that something, lets call it God for convenience, did something which caused the universe to pop into existence. ... Okay, so I don't discard God. Pretty bold thing to say in a forum like this one, right?Here I want to make myself perfectly clear – not discarding the idea is not the same as believing it. What I am trying to say is I don't believe in any of the two possibilities. Science has not yet found a proof that God exists. But then again it hasn't found the proof that He doesn't.

While a subset of atheists hold the position that no god or deity exists, the overall common position of atheism is that the existence of god has not been proven. We are wary of trying to sneak in "god of the gaps" arguments where someone advances the position that we don't know implies proof of god. But if your position is simply that we don't know what happened before the big bang and it could be god, mischievous cosmic leprechauns, the launching of a computer simulation, the materialized will of a super-intelligent shade of blue, or anything we can imagine, because we simply don't have any evidence whatsoever... well, welcome, and feel no reservations about laying full claim to the atheist label.

As for the rest of your questions, I really don't have much to contribute to those lines of thought. Once I finally abandoned all hope of any possibility of a knowable god, I finally stopped asking many of those questions. If we are convinced that god isn't meddling in the affairs of humans, why be concerned with answers to questions about why an entity I don't think exists would want a relationship with me or by what mechanism it would think?

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply