My thoughts on this debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 06:58 AM
RE: My thoughts on this debate
I'm kinda pissed off that I missed this~so I'm getting ready to watch it now. Do I need something to bang my head on before I get started?

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Just finished watching.

Mr Nye did good.

Rule #1 in presentations is know your audience so he didn't go too far. Thing is, his audience was not just those in the room, his audience is also YouTube posterity.

My favourite bits were the constant references to:

- "the outside"... meaning out there in the real world not like in here, the fantasy world.
- "Mr Ham's point of view", "Mr Ham's model", "Mr Ham's word" highlighting how 'local' were these opinions.

Very good.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
05-02-2014, 08:55 AM
I absolutely think Bill Nye did a great job....I'm still watching the last few minutes of it, but Ken Ham can't say anything without referencing the bible. I was actually hoping to hear something I hadn't heard before, but all I heard was "word of god" "the bible says" and so on. I don't think the audience in that room appreciated Mr. Nye nearly as much as they should have, but he didn't miss a beat.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
05-02-2014, 09:03 AM
(05-02-2014 08:55 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I absolutely think Bill Nye did a great job....I'm still watching the last few minutes of it, but Ken Ham can't say anything without referencing the bible. I was actually hoping to hear something I hadn't heard before, but all I heard was "word of god" "the bible says" and so on. I don't think the audience in that room appreciated Mr. Nye nearly as much as they should have, but he didn't miss a beat.

[Image: 25631391566578.jpg]

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
05-02-2014, 09:18 AM
(05-02-2014 09:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 08:55 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I absolutely think Bill Nye did a great job....I'm still watching the last few minutes of it, but Ken Ham can't say anything without referencing the bible. I was actually hoping to hear something I hadn't heard before, but all I heard was "word of god" "the bible says" and so on. I don't think the audience in that room appreciated Mr. Nye nearly as much as they should have, but he didn't miss a beat.

[Image: UZfKUqq.jpg]

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
05-02-2014, 09:20 AM
(05-02-2014 09:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

haha that's exactly what it was like! Nothing but the bible..and did I hear Ken Ham say it depends how we define the word LITERAL?!?! And then he changed the word literal to mean natural...so yeah, there's that. He's got nothing, which is what I expected. But what makes me sad (especially for the US) is that there are a lot of people who will watch this and agree with every damn word he said!

05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I was very skeptical about this debate before it happened, but I have to say after having watched the debate, I think Bill won on every imaginable point. He came off much more reasonable, engaging and substantive. He was much more on the offensive than I had expected and kept bringing it back to the fundamentals.

I also think Ham really shot himself in the foot when he admitted there was no possible way he could ever be persuaded that he's wrong, while in contrast Bill Nye came straight out and listed ways in which the evidence could persuade him otherwise. Way to lose all the moderates Ham.

Bill also had some pretty strong "rethorical devices" worked into his method. He kept referring to it as "Ken Ham's creation model" and science as something we do "outside in the real world". The obvious implication that Ham's a fringe lunatic irrelevant to real science. Which he is, so score another one for Bill Nye. Interesting moments was when Hamface kept regurgitating that "there's a book out there that tell us where it came from" every time Billy Nye referred to some mystery in science. It just drew laughter from the audience, and I don't actually think they laughed because they agreed the answer was reasonable, but because it was ridiculous.

Bill fucking Nye ftw!

"When inventing a god, the most important thing is to claim it is invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise, people will become skeptical when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing." - Anonymous
[+] 1 user Likes Rumraket's post
05-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Impressively, according to "Christian today" readers, Bill Nye annihilated Ken Ham:
Quote:Who won the debate tonight? Creation vs Evolution
Ken Ham 8%
Bill Nye 92%
Total votes: 14690
Way to go Bill!

"When inventing a god, the most important thing is to claim it is invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise, people will become skeptical when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing." - Anonymous
[+] 3 users Like Rumraket's post
05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
(05-02-2014 09:42 AM)Rumraket Wrote:  I was very skeptical about this debate before it happened, but I have to say after having watched the debate, I think Bill won on every imaginable point. He came off much more reasonable, engaging and substantive. He was much more on the offensive than I had expected and kept bringing it back to the fundamentals.

I also think Ham really shot himself in the foot when he admitted there was no possible way he could ever be persuaded that he's wrong, while in contrast Bill Nye came straight out and listed ways in which the evidence could persuade him otherwise. Way to lose all the moderates Ham.

Bill also had some pretty strong "rethorical devices" worked into his method. He kept referring to it as "Ken Ham's creation model" and science as something we do "outside in the real world". The obvious implication that Ham's a fringe lunatic irrelevant to real science. Which he is, so score another one for Bill Nye. Interesting moments was when Hamface kept regurgitating that "there's a book out there that tell us where it came from" every time Billy Nye referred to some mystery in science. It just drew laughter from the audience, and I don't actually think they laughed because they agreed the answer was reasonable, but because it was ridiculous.

Bill fucking Nye ftw!
Yes yes yes! Yes to all of that Smile I never saw Ken actually answer a question...he would just reiterate the bullshit he already said before. He did have the videos of the few scientists that admitted to being creationists that he kept falling back on, but other than that (which were just bible thumping opinions) he had nothing at all to say other than "the bible said so" or "we weren't there." I've got FB pissed off today over this...but if I didn't piss them off with it, they'd know nothing about it. So I'm gonna keep playing the "bad guy" and open these fuckin people's eyes up to reality. So for this day, I owe Bill Nye a huge THANKS Tongue

05-02-2014, 09:55 AM
(05-02-2014 09:42 AM)Rumraket Wrote:  Interesting moments was when Hamface kept regurgitating that "there's a book out there that tell us where it came from" every time Billy Nye referred to some mystery in science. It just drew laughter from the audience, and I don't actually think they laughed because they agreed the answer was reasonable, but because it was ridiculous.

I took this the other way, it was a partisan home crowd for Ham and I felt they laughed with him. And a lot of Nye's jokes fell on deaf ears.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post