"You can't prove the earth is more than 6000 years old!"
"Um... Look at this tree."
"GOD MADE IT LIKE THAT!"
<.<
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 09:53 PM
RE: My thoughts on this debate
(05-02-2014 12:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I actually liked the format of the debate. I despise so-called debates that become shouting matches. I was watching one such debate with Ken Ham where he just monopolized the whole discussion and didn't seem to allow others to speak.

But that was a debate amongst theists I believe....

I felt this way at first, too, and I was very impressed with how well they stayed within their time allotments. I also really like it when the questions from the audience are written down ahead of time because it becomes unruly and wasteful when they walk up to a mike to ask. This is by far the best way to do Q&A.

But to get back to the original point, I agree that most debates do get heated when there is a free flow of ideas and points, but in this debate, I felt the lack of exchange hurt Bill's ability to hold Ham's feet to the fire (and I no doubt believe Ham set this up that way). Even the 2-minute, 1-minute segment may have seemed like a chance at exchange, but it wasn't. The 1-minute response wasn't a rebuttal but a chance to answer the same question. Then that person got asked a new question, so the opponent never had to face any brushback.

Oh well.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2014, 09:57 PM
(05-02-2014 09:52 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  How do I get around that?!

"You can't prove the earth is more than 6000 years old!"
"Um... Look at this tree."
"GOD MADE IT LIKE THAT!"
<.<

You call them on being a pathological liar, making shit up as they go along.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
05-02-2014, 09:59 PM
(05-02-2014 09:53 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 12:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I actually liked the format of the debate. I despise so-called debates that become shouting matches. I was watching one such debate with Ken Ham where he just monopolized the whole discussion and didn't seem to allow others to speak.

But that was a debate amongst theists I believe....

I felt this way at first, too, and I was very impressed with how well they stayed within their time allotments. I also really like it when the questions from the audience are written down ahead of time because it becomes unruly and wasteful when they walk up to a mike to ask. This is by far the best way to do Q&A.

But to get back to the original point, I agree that most debates do get heated when there is a free flow of ideas and points, but in this debate, I felt the lack of exchange hurt Bill's ability to hold Ham's feet to the fire (and I no doubt believe Ham set this up that way). Even the 2-minute, 1-minute segment may have seemed like a chance at exchange, but it wasn't. The 1-minute response wasn't a rebuttal but a chance to answer the same question. Then that person got asked a new question, so the opponent never had to face any brushback.

Oh well.

I agree. The best debates I've seen are those where the two participants are seated next to each other and allowed to have a discussion. Granted, these types of debates are usually held by gentlemen who can keep the discussion civil. The moderator is only needed to introduce questions for discussion.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
06-02-2014, 12:16 AM
[Image: CddbRnol.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Debunking Debate commentary Metazoa Zeke 2 162 18-03-2014 01:53 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Summing up the Ham on Nye debate, Buddy style, hold the mayo Buddy Christ 29 1,233 11-02-2014 04:19 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
Question So who's Watching the Debate Metazoa Zeke 88 1,835 09-02-2014 09:45 PM
Last Post: Lion IRC
  How I Suggest You Debate Creationist Metazoa Zeke 33 845 09-02-2014 03:56 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
Bug How I Suggest You Debate Creationist part 2 Metazoa Zeke 4 228 04-02-2014 01:40 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Ken Ham on the Debate with Bill Nye Vulpix 25 912 23-01-2014 08:18 PM
Last Post: f stop
  The Big Think Creationism debate TheBeardedDude 175 4,014 24-10-2013 09:01 AM
Last Post: DeavonReye