My toaster is toast.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2014, 04:24 PM
My toaster is toast.
Damn, another toaster bit the dust. I just can't find a good toaster anymore. My grandparents had the same damn toaster for 25 years and it made great toast. Every toaster I've had seems to toast the bread unevenly or burns part of it while the other parts aren't done enough. Any suggestions for a great toaster?

A few years ago I came across a website that had refurbished toasters from the 40's 50's and 60's for sale. Now I can't find it. Those were some great toasters back then.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2014, 04:45 PM
RE: My toaster is toast.
Get a toaster oven instead of a regular style toaster.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Yea - toaster oven - I love mine. I will not do without it.

Leftover pizza is incredible in my toaster oven, too... if that carries any weight. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-09-2014, 08:00 PM
(03-09-2014 04:50 PM)kim Wrote:  Yea - toaster oven - I love mine. I will not do without it.

Leftover pizza is incredible in my toaster oven, too... if that carries any weight. Drinking Beverage

What brand do you have? Does it do toast? I love toast for breakfast.

03-09-2014, 08:10 PM
My parents were given a silver/chrome toaster when they were married in 1956...the thing may still be working for all I know. I have never found a better toaster.

You are right, those old ones are the best!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-09-2014, 08:16 PM
A couple of years ago my microwave burned out. The repairman showed up and said that the magnetron (the tube which produces the microwave) had burned out.
While he was installing the new one he mentioned that in the old days these tubes were made in the US and never burned out. Now these tubes were made in Bangladesh and they burned out all the time.

Some people call this "globalization."

I call it selling cheap shit to boost their profit margin.

Don't buy an expensive toaster. Buy the cheapest you can find and when it breaks throw it out and buy another cheap one.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Built in obsolescence?
Damn the Cinanese

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
03-09-2014, 09:49 PM
(03-09-2014 08:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My parents were given a silver/chrome toaster when they were married in 1956...the thing may still be working for all I know. I have never found a better toaster.

You are right, those old ones are the best!

Ah ha. I found the website of old toasters that one can buy and they still work. Yay.

http://www.toastercentral.com/

The old toasters were made in the US and they lasted.

03-09-2014, 10:03 PM
(03-09-2014 08:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  A couple of years ago my microwave burned out. The repairman showed up and said that the magnetron (the tube which produces the microwave) had burned out.
While he was installing the new one he mentioned that in the old days these tubes were made in the US and never burned out. Now these tubes were made in Bangladesh and they burned out all the time.

Some people call this "globalization."

I call it selling cheap shit to boost their profit margin.

Don't buy an expensive toaster. Buy the cheapest you can find and when it breaks throw it out and buy another cheap one.

Based on the information you provided I would buy the expensive one made in the US. Confused

05-09-2014, 10:55 AM
(03-09-2014 08:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 04:50 PM)kim Wrote:  Yea - toaster oven - I love mine. I will not do without it.

What brand do you have? Does it do toast? I love toast for breakfast.

Mine is a Magic Chef - at least 25 years old or probably more. It still works great but I want a larger capacity one. I'm considering a Hamilton Beach 6 slice. I think it has a rounded back on the inside - Oster is another very good brand quite similar to Hamilton Beach. I've used mine as an actual oven and it works great but I mostly just use the toast/timer feature knob.

If I were you, I'd get it online but first ... do go to Bed, Bath, & Beyond or an appliance store and check them out in person. At least get a feel for how much space one will take up on the counter; they are compact but can still be quite large.

As you can see when scrolling down in the example link, there are a bunch of different kinds and many involve different kinds of cooking (oven/coffee maker combo- WTF?). There are kinds that may involve convection cooking along with quartz radiant (the toasty-making-thingy) - you may not want all that other shit.

Personally, I'm going with the kind that has a big knob and a dinger bell; my dinger is on the fritz and I like big knobs. Dodgy

I gotta keep it simple; I'm in no condition to think before toast. Drinking Beverage & coffee

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein