My tracker-checker-weightloss-success-thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-10-2016, 04:35 PM
My tracker-checker-weightloss-success-thread
Why this thread?
I want to track stuff here and I want to track it publicly so I have an incentive to keep going and to keep doing it properly.
Feel free to remind me or point out things that I do horribly wrong. Just so I stay on track.

My goals:
1. I cannot say 100% what BMI I am atm, But I know for sure it is in the obese bracket, as last time I checked, it was 38 I think.
So for now, it would be nice to reach the overweight bracket for starters. BMI 28 would be a great start. That is about 27 kilo to lose which is massive already. At that point I will stop counting weight I lose because I plan to be fit and sporty again at that point which means that I will have a lot of muscle that has replaced the fat. Muscle is heavier than fat so I guess a muscular 80/81 kilo on 170m height is fine. I don't want to be skinny, just back to my former self which was exactly that 80 and muscle person.
2. Sign up to the gym once the mr. has his first few paychecks so we can afford it (currently I am earning alone pretty much so we cannot afford extras like the gym). Follow advice to do muscle exercises in the beginning instead of cardio because my body won't do cardio well atm.
3. Buy that friggen bike as soon as the bike to work thing is approved. Then cycle to and from work every day again.
4. Keep the good eating habits up.
5. Buy dumbbells for exercise at home.
6. Buy scale

How things are now (for me to look back at where I don't wanna go again):
* Walking makes the back hurt
* Bending down ( tie shoes, pick stuff up,...) is very difficult
* Asthma got worse
* Got water in the legs
* Acne
* My favourite clothes are not fitting
* When I crouch, my legs feel like the skin will burst.
* At the zip lining, some stuff takes me way longer than it should because I am so heavy and can't pull my own weight well.
* Cannot do cool AmericanGladiotor-type stuff because I am not fit enough
* Cannot go to the trampoline park because I think I will break the trampolines.
* Cannot go to paint ball because I am too fat to move and hide well.
* Can't find new jeans and fitting pullovers in normal stores easily.

First update:
So I am three days in now. So far this is what I did:
* Made a point out of no candy
* Made a point out of no seconds for meals
* Sugarfree chewing gum when I get really hungry between meals
* Always have Trek Berry Burst bar close by just in case I get really hungry (but haven't eaten one yet)
* One small dessert for lunch is ok
* Must eat salad every day
* Fruit for snacks

Before I started this, I already monitored my portion sizes and carbs.
Currently I am hungry a lot. Especially the half hour before lunch and about two hours before dinner and then again about 4 hours after dinner.
Declined ice cream nicely today, when my coworker asked if I wanted some.
I am usually a stress eater so I made a point of chewing sugar free gum instead to trick my brain into calming down. (Good way to help with anxiety and panic attacks too btw.)

Exercise wise, not much going on atm. I climb stairs most of the time, instead of taking the lift. I walk a lot on weekends. I have a step counter and exercise tracker on my phone but it never counts right. It will tell me, after me having walked around for 3 hours, that it has automatically recorded 20 minutes of walking, so fuck that app.

k done for now. Next update soon.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Leerob's post
06-10-2016, 12:26 AM
RE: My tracker-checker-weightloss-success-thread
Hi Leela,

Looks like you are taking a serious shot at the weight loss. Thumbsup

Good idea to run a thread on the subject and I'm sure lots of folks here will support you. I'm starting by having a smaller breakfast myself. Smile

D.
06-10-2016, 02:37 AM
Go for it, Leela!

Attitude is important, you have it.

I got down from 175 pounds (at 5ft 3in) to 143 and am struggling a bit to hold that on 1500 kcal/day. Walking is a pain for me also, poor circulation in legs and tendency to angina. Low level diabetes is a factor as well.

But, my birthday tomorrow so the diet can take a rest - going to enjoy my birthday lunch out!

Then it's back to a little discipline.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
06-10-2016, 07:02 AM
Good on you for starting the weight loss process. I've been meaning to do so as well for a while now. Just a few minor corrections to your post:

• The whole "muscle is heavier than fat" thing is an urban myth. The former is denser (i.e. has less volume) than the latter, not heavier.
• At 170cm, weighing 80kg, you'd still be in the upper overweight bracket (~27.7 BMI) and fairly close the obese one (30+ BMI).
• The following guy is 170cm tall and weighs 80kg, so unless that is what you mean when you say that you want to be muscular, it would be best to aim for something closer to 70kg instead.

[Image: GxCHjW.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
06-10-2016, 07:12 AM
I need to get rid of some 10-15kg as well (or start smoking again). You may serve as my role model in the near future. Thumbsup

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
06-10-2016, 07:34 AM
Hug

Thumbsup
06-10-2016, 12:02 PM
(05-10-2016 04:35 PM)Leela Wrote:  I cannot say 100% what BMI I am atm, But I know for sure it is in the obese bracket, as last time I checked, it was 38 I think.
So for now, it would be nice to reach the overweight bracket for starters. BMI 28 would be a great start. [...]

Goodonya Leela for having such a positive approach to losing weight. As others have said, its success is largely connected to personal attitude and willpower. And you seem to have plenty of both. Thumbsup

I just wanted to let you know that the pseudoscience behind BMI has recently been debunked, as per THIS site, and THIS site.

The problem, as many studies, including a new one led by UCLA researchers, is that higher BMI’s may not take into consideration body composition or other health factors. This means that while a person might appear to be in an unhealthy range, their weight actually isn’t affecting their health at all. When examining other markers that are indicative of general health, the researchers reported that nearly 30% of those at a supposedly “healthy” BMI range were actually unhealthy, while 15% of people considered “very obese” were quite healthy.

—Good luck.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
06-10-2016, 12:17 PM
About "sugar free" products:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-spect...15004.html

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Awesome Leela!

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement!
@Syz: Yes, I know BMI is not the most reliable, especially for those doing lots of sports. I am only using it for a pointer for now but usually I look at my clothing size, what pants do I fit in, and I know where about I am.

Also that reminds me, back when I was not fat yet. I was always on the heavy side but never fat. I just had a lot of muscle. Once I went to the doctor and they had to weigh me in preparation for a surgery. And I weighed in at 80 kilo. The nurse looked at me "Wow, you really don't look that weight" Big Grin Well there you go. i want that muscle back pleae haha. That is also why I said earlier, somewhere, that 80 kilo is my target weight.
I almost reached it just 2 years ago. I got down to 84 and then got lazy again because <insert excuse here>...

Anyway, just for a check-in today.
So currently I am trying to make it a habit to always have some fruit and chewing gum on my desk at work. So when I do get hungry, I can easily avoid candy. Fruit has tied me over for the next meal fine so far. When I get nervous or anxious (several times every day) I am now having sugarfree chewing gum instead of candy. So I hope it helps with the bad food habits.
I have stuck to my desert for lunch so far. Still no seconds at any point. I am not forbidding them to myself but I am making a point out of waiting for 20 minutes or so to see if I am really still hungry or if it is greed. And after the 20 minutes, I usually resumed doing something and forgot all about the food haha.

Today, like on all Thursdays, there is themeday for food at work (usually the theme is a country). So for Thursdays I try everything that looks interesting to me but usually, although my plate is loaded, I don't finish it. Not even close. I just want a taste of everything I don't know yet (though by now i know most foods so I can pick and know what I want).
So today's theme was Persian food. Lot's of stuff with cheakpea and so on. I tried some stuff. There was no salad so didn't have that today, but had fruit and even tried fresh dates (as opposed to the dried ones we all know).

Had to run from here to there half the day because I am so important and have meetings Tongue So I am not sure if I reached my step target but I surely did walk quite a bit.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post