My tracker-checker-weightloss-success-thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-11-2016, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2016 05:07 PM by Leerob.)
RE: My tracker-checker-weightloss-success-thread
Today I was proud of my food apart of one thing but I think it was forgivable.
I haven't turned into a health nut but I started to seriously watch what I am eating.
Sometimes I am a little weak when something looks too delicious to let it go. But over all, I really think I start getting used to good normal portion sizes and healthy food.

I do like me some carbs for each meal so for breakfast I have a bread roll, for lunch usually potato and for dinner it just depends.
Meat wise, as I have found out that my cholesterol has not improved although I have made a lot of changes already, I have tried to eat even less bad fats / milk products / meats (espeically red).
I am also making a point of having something vegetable or salad with every single meal.

So today:

Breakfast:
* bowl of fruit (melon and pineapple)
* omelette with cheese + egg whites
* 2 tiny bread rolls (amounts to 1 regular)
* mushrooms
* Salad: black olives / tomato / baby spinach
* coffee

Lunch:
* Potatoes
* Califlower and Broccoli
* Salad: Lettuce, baby spinach, carrots, balsamic vinegar
* 2 walnut whips (the bad thing)

Dinner:
* 2 slices of chicken breast
* green beans
* Pasta
* half cup of cheese cake

And 1 litre of water. I know I should drink more but like other's forget to eat, I forget to drink.
It is getting horribly cold now in the morning and evening (horribly for me but my Norwegian buddies are laughing at me) but I am still cycling to work. Now as my husband has caught a little flu, I am not walking home right now, I am cycling home instead.
Will have to bring my bike to the shop soon though, so probably will have to take the bus for a day or two.

The chewing gum thing is still working for my stress and anxiety issues. And I generally have some fruit on my desk at work just if I am actually getting hungry in the afternoon. Because I have lunch at 12 and dinner at 6 so that's a lot of hours and sometimes I need something. Not always though.

This coming Thursday, I will probably overeat like a motherfucker because Thursdays are generally theme days from our restaurant at work. And As this Thursday is Thanksgiving, they will probably have something really nice up their sleeves.

Also about noticeable weightloss.
I don't want to buy a scale right now because scales are evil but instead I am measuring the fattest part of my belly.I measured last week and the tape measure confirmed that I am fat. Big surprise. I think I am supposed to have about 1 meter around the hip. Well I am far from that. Also didn't measure at the hip as it is not the biggest part. I measured the biggest part.
So last week I was 145cm and today I was 144cm. That is 1 down and 44 to go I guess. Baby steps.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
24-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Losing weight requires creating a hormone imbalance. The only advice I can offer is: 1. keep the imbalance low (ie a deficit of about 200 kcal per day or so), and 2. find a way to cope with the increased hunger associated with it. Recommendations include exercise and meditation. For further information read my 2014 essay, it's a bit out of date now and I've learned a lot more since writing it - but it's a decent start.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
02-12-2016, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 06:07 PM by Leerob.)
I LOST ANOTHER 4cm!!!
This thyroid medicine is a blessing! I didn't even do much. I just continued pretty much the way I did it for years!

Quote:Losing weight requires creating a hormone imbalance. The only advice I can offer is: 1. keep the imbalance low (ie a deficit of about 200 kcal per day or so), and 2. find a way to cope with the increased hunger associated with it. Recommendations include exercise and meditation. For further information read my 2014 essay, it's a bit out of date now and I've learned a lot more since writing it - but it's a decent start.
I know you mean well, but I will not lower my calories even more than I already did. If I do, I will starve myself and that is absolutely unhealthy and going to fuck up my metabolism even more than it already is. Also there is usually increased hunger for only a day or two. The body adjusts really fast actually - not that it matters. The whole thing of less calories in than you burn is actually also outdated. Calories are not calories if that makes any sense. It is the type of food you eat more than it is the amount of calories because the body metabolises different foods in different ways. (Done my homework for the past 5 years lol)

03-12-2016, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2016 04:49 PM by Aractus.)
(02-12-2016 06:02 PM)Leela Wrote:  The body adjusts really fast actually - not that it matters.

No it doesn't. It adjusts for a while but then it rebalances. Leptin is released by individual fat cells and that's the problem. Adipose cells never get catabolised (destroyed) in the body, only the energy they store does. When a person gets obese by that point most people develop new adipose tissue. Some people that are lucky have a larger capacity in their adipose cells before new cells are anabolised (produced).

(02-12-2016 06:02 PM)Leela Wrote:  The whole thing of less calories in than you burn is actually also outdated.

It is, but that is the way to lose weight. As I mentioned most people should aim for a deficit of around 200 kcal per day - it will give them significant weight loss (in the order of 0.5kg per week or so) without increasing hunger too much. The more you restrict the hungrier you get, and the more likely you are to fail. The main thing is to follow a proper diet (AGTHE, DASH, or Mediterranean Diet are all fine with DASH being the best but most restrictive), and learn to live with their restrictions particularly on discretionary foods.

There's plenty more advice I'm happy to give you. For example, do not use any diet apps. I had to look at them for Uni earlier this year, and every single one underestimates calorie content - some by a little, but most by a lot. If you want to know the calorie content of food look it up on the government database whatever it is in the US (USDA in the US) - in Australia it's AUSNUT. It's not easy to look it up, and the commercial software available for calculating food content from the databases (that nutritionists use) is hugely expensive. But, the Aussie program (Foodworks) has a trial, and I'd assume that whatever program is used in the US with their database would also have a trial it includes the USDA database now, so you could potentially download it and use the 14-day trial period to evaluate food energy content of home cooked meals with high accuracy (just remember to select the right database).

Even that's still quite a bit of work, but at least much less work than working directly off raw numbers and a calculator! Or of course you can pay a nutritionist to give you an analysis, the downside to that is that you still need to do half the work anyway (weigh out the ingredients in your meals, etc).

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2016, 08:38 AM
Be careful with that chewing gum. Artificial sweeteners are NOT your friend!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...ight-gain/

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Just quick new update:

Since I started the thyroid medicine and the Vitamin D supplement and the sleeping aid, I am doing much better.
I feel fitter, more alert during the day, and sleep through the night.
The medicine for the water retention is doing wonders to my legs.

I have no scale and will not buy one but I am sure a lot has happened with my weight.
During the last week I have lost 2 more cm at the fattest part of my middle section.

In February I am going to do a 5k mudrun (30 obstacles on 5km) so tomorrow (after sleeping) I am signing up with the gym so I can train running and upper body strength (and help the weight loss a bit more plus maybe get my sixpack finally?)

[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
24-12-2016, 05:49 PM
I forgot to eat exactly on Christmas o.O How the fuck...

I mean I got up, started making Christmas dinner. It was ready at 2 already so we ate, watched some shit, had some sweets and then I passed out because tired. And then I stayed tired until I got this great idea that maybe I should eat something. It helped but now it is almost midnight and I got daytime energy levels...

Odd day today

01-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Meh... So all the centimeters I had lost at first...yea, they are all back. I am back at the beginning.
Just cannot control the eating. Some days I am super proud that I eat well... but most days I start out well with lots of fruit and water and from lunch onwards it is more and more crap.
I now started skipping dinner but then I am hungry all night... so not perfect either.
Dunno.
I got not self control I guess.

Also started working out a little at least. Things I can do with my huge mid-section. But yea, super frustrated right now.

19-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Alright
I know I haven't posted in here for a while.
Basically I was frustrated and embarrassed. I thought I am a failure when it comes to weight loss.
During the Christmas period I made to my all time weight high. I got so heavy that I didn't even measure myself anymore but I certainly did not fit in my jeans anymore.

A few things have changed by now though and that is why I am posting in here again.

So I finally got me a scale again. I feel like I need two ways of measure myself because one can always plateau while the other still moves. So yea, got me a scale.
I then hopped on that scale - or rather stepped on it because hopping it might break it ... lost money and all. Ok so I found myself at 117 kg (257lbs according to google). I have never been heavier in my life. And yes I am blurting that stuff out there because most people don't. Most people are too embarrassed but that's not helping those who are reading in threads like that. So hear we go.
So approaching 120kg was super scary to me. Simply because I am feeling the effects of my weight, and it is not pretty.

I then stumbled over some videos on youtube. I have to mention that I did not search for any weightloss related topics there. Sometimes they pop up for some reason. So I clicked on two of them.
One was a woman who was getting a gastric surgery thing where they make the stomach smaller. And she was telling how it was and how she was feeling about it and what changed in her life. One part that got me in the video was the part about hygiene. She was speaking about the skin inside the big skin folds. All the fat people know those folds. So in those folds, you need to be double and tripple as clean as anywhere else, because no air ever gets there, it's warm and when you sweat it's also moist. A breeding ground for bacteria. It is itchy too and she was speaking about those folds that had gotten nasty. And mine had gotten a bit nasty too. So I already obsess about hygene but I trippled that effort. And everytime I sweat, after my shower I put baby powder in the folds. Actually helps (tip for other fat people out there).
Now the other youtuber I found, and still follow, actually inspired me rather than disgusted me (like that lady and the bacteria). So this guy, when you just watch his video at first, it looks like he is one of those work out nuts. And he is kind of a work out nut but wait. So he was scarily obese. I mean I am lean as a stick compared to where this guy started. So he has been vlogging his life style, his changes, and so on for a long time. And he also simply speaks about issues he used to have and how things have gotten better. He shows old pictures of himself and is just over all a very cool guy. He likes to do crossfit a lot and sometimes he shows his crossfit work outs as well. Or just simple things like stuff he likes to cook or a body update. And when he takes his shirt off, you know he is not bullshitting you. The guy huge folds of skin just hanging down his body. You can see how well he is toned under that, his muscle shows but man all the skin. It is getting better little by little but he wears it with pride, telling you that much.
Anyway this guy is super inspiring without the annoying bits that "inspirational speakers" have.

And after watching him for a while as well as having a scale, I decided to make a few small changes that I know I can keep up.
First off all, I made a point out of walking as many stairs as possible. Also cycling no matter what the weather is. I then wanted to sign up with the gym but more about he gym later.
At work we got free snacks whenever we wanted. And often they had exactly the stuff that I loved. Kinder chocolates and such nice things. With easter around the corner, of course also cream eggs and such things. So I took good care of a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but I snacked like a mad man. So I started to cut out most of the snacking. I did not weigh in because I still felt I might be over eating in other places and I certainly was not losing weight at that point. But at least I wasn't gaining anymore either.

Now two weeks ago, I started my new job.
I lost 5 kg (11 lbs) within these two weeks without even doing anything really.
So what has changed?
First of all, the bike ride to work and home is slightly longer.
Then because we have only 3 floors in that building, I walk the stairs all the time now. No sense taking the lift for one floor etc.
The food is good but I am limiting myself to one plate. And that plate never has a mountain on it. The same for desert at lunch time. I have one and that is it.
They are generally providing very healthy food and snacks and drinks. So I drink water that has a peppermint leaf in it as opposed to coke for example.
I don't hold back when I want a certain unhealthy snack but I don't want them as much.

Now about the gym. I actually get a benefit from work where they pay up to 60Euro (65 dollar) per month towards my gym. So I finally signed up to an affordable gym that has classes and so on. I haven't been to the introduction yet but I will go next week and then I will hit the gym 3 times a week as well. I think for starters I will work on running and upper body strength. Once I have caught up (at least somewhat) to my peers, I will start pushing for weight lifting, I think it will be fun.

I want to be below 110 kilo by mid May because that is when I go zip lining again. And I want to do the difficult course with the really hard obstacles. And also in summer there should be another mudrun and I would like to go on it again and see if I can finish it properly. Even if it takes forever.

So the 110 should be achievable easily if I lost 5 kg in the past two weeks. That is only 2 more plus a bit more than that in 2 months.

So yeah that was my weightloss update.

[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
19-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Leela Hug
Sounds like you found a nice muse on youtube.
Could you link him here?
having a goal is huge, and a close one. With a reward! I have always wanted to zipline but was too heavy. Now it is within reach.
My reachable goal was to get light enough to get my commercial truck medical certificate without drama. My BMI had to be below 35 and I got that done.
Thank you for the update.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post