My travel scanner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2012, 08:18 PM
My travel scanner
I know there are several college students like me on here, so I figured that I would post something about the travel scanner that I bought about a year and a half ago. I got it primarily to save money by scanning pages from textbooks, class notes, and “library use only” books instead of spending 10 cents per page at the copying machine. I shopped around and finally settled on the Vupoint Magic Wand Scanner. As the name implies, it is a wand style scanner, the kind that you run over a document, as opposed to sending paper through. It is about ten inches long and one inch deep and wide. It runs on two AA batteries, which surprisingly last a long time because the scanner has energy saving measures in place--it only scans while the wheels on the bottom are moving. I believe that I have scanned several hundred pages of material before the batteries died. The best part is all scans are saved to a memory card (complete with adapter), or you can just hook the accompanying USB to it. All of it fits into a durable shell carrying case. The combo with the scanner, memory card, and carry case cost me $110. It’s a tad bit expensive, but it has literally paid for itself since I haven’t spent money on each of the roughly 1100 scans that I have done.

The scanner has a high resolution and a low resolution setting. It also has a black and white and a color scanning function. How fast you run it over a page depends on what the resolution is set on, and it tells you when you are going too fast or if you have made a mistake. I normally have it on low, so I can do it fairly fast. Unfortunately, you can’t see the image on the display screen, which only reads the resolution, battery life, and number of scans you have completed. But all you have to do is just hook up the USB and instantly see them on your computer.

Here is a book cover I scanned. Please keep in mind that it is a rather large book, so I wouldn't have been able to fit the whole thing in the first swipe. I can only post a smaller version because the full size is so detailed that it is larger than the book itself (the resizing has added unwanted pixilation).

[Image: bookscanexample.jpg]

The only real downside to this scanner is that it stops scanning once the wheels on the bottom stop turning. This may cut bits of your intended target off (like above). I have found a way around this, though, by placing another book or a folder next to it so the wheels continue to roll.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
18-04-2012, 08:42 PM
RE: My travel scanner
Eve looks pretty buff!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I just googled that dude... wow
19-04-2012, 10:56 AM
(18-04-2012 08:42 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Eve looks pretty buff!

Yes, Crumb always draws woman a little "thicker" than average.

(18-04-2012 08:59 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  I just googled that dude... wow

The scanner or the book? Either way, both are really good.
19-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Actually both. I could use one of those scanners out here on the road and that Crumb dude is far out!
20-04-2012, 10:16 AM
(19-04-2012 07:04 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Actually both. I could use one of those scanners out here on the road and that Crumb dude is far out!

Awesome. I hope the scanner helps you out. I have many more years of school ahead of me (I want to get a PhD), so I know the scanner will continue to be an asset.

I first learned about Crumb many years ago. He is one of the most famous underground comic book artists. When I learned he was coming out with an illustrated version of Genesis, I knew that I had to have it.
20-04-2012, 11:18 AM
This is really cool! I always take pictures of papers I want to remember. I have recipes, notes, important sections of books I want to remember- stuff like that.

Is the scanner good for if you wanted to print the page later? Photos don't work so well for that part.
20-04-2012, 01:21 PM
(20-04-2012 11:18 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  This is really cool! I always take pictures of papers I want to remember. I have recipes, notes, important sections of books I want to remember- stuff like that.

Is the scanner good for if you wanted to print the page later? Photos don't work so well for that part.

Yes, you can print the images if you like. You just have to make sure that you print it to a single page. This is because the scans are so detailed that they end up being larger than the original.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
26-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Cool! That will be a useful tool for me at my college. And apparently bestbuy has refurbished for around half the price.

Thanks for the thread!