My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 08:33 PM
RE: My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival
Hey, if he schooled them on Trump he is really not all bad, at all. Many sensible people stick to silly positions due to religion. You may already do it, but try and let this kind of sermonizing just roll off you, in one ear and out the other, noncommital answers, nodding, subtle subject changes, etc.
He sounds like a good guy to keep in contact with. Family is a pain in the ass that way Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
28-04-2016, 09:57 PM
RE: My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival
Then he needs to learn what religion was like in antiquity. Generally, it was a ritual of propitiation. The priests made sacrifices to the gods so the gods wouldn't get all pissy and make the rain stop coming on time and such. The population did what they were told to do for the sacrifices and "morality" was not a part of it at all.

In fact, the Olympian gods were a bunch of petty, vain, egotistical assholes... just like the humans who invented them.

And yahweh.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
29-04-2016, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 05:56 AM by Mittens Deluxe.)
(28-04-2016 09:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Then he needs to learn what religion was like in antiquity. Generally, it was a ritual of propitiation. The priests made sacrifices to the gods so the gods wouldn't get all pissy and make the rain stop coming on time and such. The population did what they were told to do for the sacrifices and "morality" was not a part of it at all.

In fact, the Olympian gods were a bunch of petty, vain, egotistical assholes... just like the humans who invented them.

And yahweh.

Yes, back in Christmas when we had a brief discussion, we sat down and talked about the crusades, he was the one who brought them up, I didn't even have to.

I mean, people are saying my uncle sounds like an idiot, but what a cool guy that we can even have such a civilized, intelligent, and open discussion about it? I admire him so much for the smart stuff he believes, and his ability to even have a discussion of the quality we do. I can't bring myself to say that he's an idiot simply for having a point of view I strongly disagree with. He's a politician so he knows how to have a really good discussion.
29-04-2016, 05:54 AM
Men always resemble their gods not because the gods made men that way, but exactly the other way around.

So why is any surprise that men's morals are those that "god" set forth?

Man invented the god to lend credence to his morals.

Need proof???

Look around -- there's men everywhere.

Gods?

Let me know when one shows up.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-04-2016, 06:16 AM
(29-04-2016 05:48 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I mean, people are saying my uncle sounds like an idiot, but what a cool guy that we can even have such a civilized, intelligent, and open discussion about it?

From what you wrote I seen nothing intelligent in your uncle statements.

(29-04-2016 05:48 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I can't bring myself to say that he's an idiot simply for having a point of view I strongly disagree with.

It's not about disagreeing but using this tired old shit about religion being necessary - hurr durr without religion people would eat babies for breakfast and kitties for dinner.

(29-04-2016 05:48 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  He's a politician so he knows how to have a really good discussion.

Politicians are known for being able to lie when they say good morning rather than being good partners in discussion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-04-2016, 06:25 AM
Okay, I don't agree with him on what he said about religion.

I'm just saying I don't think he's an unintelligent guy. Is it not possible to have an intellectual, compelling conversation with someone you disagree with?

Sorry, I shouldn't have said he's smart, because apparently I'm getting a bunch of people who think that, apparently, me saying so somehow means I think I'm okay with his points of view.

I know, its an issue that's frustrating to a lot of atheists, including myself. I do plan on talking to him again about it, people here probably think I'm easily swayed, impressionable person who will get reeled into some sort of idea that religion is a good thing.

I could be wrong about your impression of me but, please just know that you're wrong and I do feel a bit offended, not only that people are disrespecting my perfectly nice and smart uncle, but also my ability to think for myself.
29-04-2016, 06:39 AM
(29-04-2016 06:25 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Okay, I don't agree with him on what he said about religion.

I already know that.

(29-04-2016 06:25 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I'm just saying I don't think he's an unintelligent guy.

Possible though repeating this old shit about religion being necessary make that hard to believe.

(29-04-2016 06:25 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Is it not possible to have an intellectual, compelling conversation with someone you disagree with?

Did I say or implied such or you go for straw-man?

(29-04-2016 06:25 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Sorry, I shouldn't have said he's smart, because apparently I'm getting a bunch of people who think that, apparently, me saying so somehow means I think I'm okay with his points of view.

I couldn't care less about what you think about your uncle but from what you wrote he do not appear smart.

(29-04-2016 06:25 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I could be wrong about your impression of me but, please just know that you're wrong and I do feel a bit offended, not only that people are disrespecting my perfectly nice and smart uncle, but also my ability to think for myself.

In what exactly I'm wrong?

As for you feeling offended - tough shit. Being offended means nothing, I won't stop writing what I think cause you claims that it make you feel bad.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up.
29-04-2016, 06:46 AM
Also, this.

Religion might have been evolutionary advantageous at one time, but it is no longer. We have better replacements for everything it ever once claimed to be useful for.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
29-04-2016, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 06:58 AM by Szuchow.)
(29-04-2016 06:41 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up.

Or what? You start to cry?

Can't handle someone disagreeing with you? Tough shit.

Mikhail Bakunin.