My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 06:48 AM
RE: My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival
Fight nice children. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2016, 06:54 AM
RE: My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival
(29-04-2016 06:25 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I'm just saying I don't think he's an unintelligent guy.

I don't think he's obviously unintelligent. Many intelligent people are able to rationalize positions that they hold for irrational reasons. The problem isn't that he's not smart, it's that he's starting with a preconception that god exists and then looking for ways to confirm that.

Let's say he's right that humans are naturally psychopaths (a claim that is certainly exaggerated if not outright unsupported) and that it is our upbringing that keeps that under control. How does that mean that religion specifically is required? Religion might be one option but you can look at many cultures today that have low religiosity along with low rates of crime and violence. The cultures promote empathy and rational thought and that seems to do the trick even better than religion does.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-04-2016, 07:02 AM
(29-04-2016 06:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 06:41 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up.

Or what? You start to cry?

Can't handle someone disagreeing with you? Tough shit.

[Image: 398.png]
29-04-2016, 07:05 AM
(29-04-2016 07:02 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  [Image: 398.png]

[Image: seems-like-you-have-a-case-of-being-a-li...uck-up.jpg]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-04-2016, 07:11 AM
im surviving and not religious. your uncle is wrong.
29-04-2016, 07:13 AM
I WASN'T SAYING HE'S SMART FOR WHAT HE SAID ABOUT RELIGION! For fuck sake, stop fucking talking to me about how big of an idiot my uncle is. If you talked to him, you'd realize he knows a lot of stuff, we didn't just talk about religion. I was just giving respect to my uncle.

You people are fucking stupid.
29-04-2016, 07:16 AM
[Image: d4f4132b12b7bbd4e679446811254d33.jpg]

How about you both chill for a bit before either of you says something they'll regret?

29-04-2016, 07:19 AM
(29-04-2016 07:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: d4f4132b12b7bbd4e679446811254d33.jpg]

How about you both chill for a bit before either of you says something they'll regret?
Who me and that kid? I really don't care what some fat basement dwelling kid who trolls atheist forums all day has to say to me. I blocked him.
29-04-2016, 07:25 AM
(29-04-2016 07:19 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 07:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: d4f4132b12b7bbd4e679446811254d33.jpg]

Who me and that kid? I really don't care what some fat basement dwelling kid who trolls atheist forums all day has to say to me. I blocked him.

You won't see this but I still want to tell you how pathetic I think you are.

Also try to work a little on your insults - they're as shitty as your reading comprehension.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-04-2016, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 07:49 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Thumbs Up RE: My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival
(29-04-2016 07:19 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  

Facepalm

Szuchow was at worst a bit terse, but not rude. Minimalist gave his honest opinion. From what I can tell, they where the only two in the entire thread that said something that could be seen as disparaging to the character of your uncle, to which you responded...

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said he's smart, because apparently I'm getting a bunch of people who think that, apparently, me saying so somehow means I think I'm okay with his points of view."

That right there is being hyperbolic. Two contrarian opinions does not a lynch mob make.

"I could be wrong about your impression of me but, please just know that you're wrong and I do feel a bit offended, not only that people are disrespecting my perfectly nice and smart uncle, but also my ability to think for myself."

Did I miss something? I don't remember seeing anyone say anything about you personally before that point.

But now you're calling his opinion 'wrong'. Please tell me you can understand how pretentious that sounds? You posted here, soliciting our opinions, then get offended when people give what you asked them for? Not only that, but you then declare their opinion to be 'wrong'? His opinion of your uncle is not for you to decide, get over it. Therein lies the crux of the point trying to be made. Szuchow's opinion isn't wrong, nor does it hurt you or your uncle. He could indeed be very intelligent, and Szuchow's opinion wouldn't change that. Your opinion of your uncle isn't dependent upon Szuchow's opinion of him, nor should it be.

Now I wanted you both to chill the fuck out; because honestly I really didn't want to have to lay down the logical smack down on a newcomer, so hard and so soon. I'm not a fan of biting off heads unless people really deserve it (which wasn't the case here), and that generally takes a bit of time and a whole lot of willful ignorance. But you solicited our opinions, didn't like two of them, blew it way out of proportion, then proceeded to whine like a petulant child when you where called out for it.

So, can you begin to understand things from our perspective? I get that you might not like what some have said about your uncle, but you cannot take such things personally; especially after asking us for our opinions. If you cannot handle criticism, you've still got a long way to go on your journey in life, and this will only make it more difficult.

So chill out, absorb what you've read, take it under consideration. Chalk this up to a learning experience, and let's all just move the fuck on with our lives. No harm, no foul.

C'est la vie.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post