My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 07:37 PM
RE: My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival
[Image: UGMggl2.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like yakherder's post
29-04-2016, 08:33 PM
RE: My uncle was trying to convince me that religion is necessary for human survival
Quote:He's a politician so he knows how to have a really good discussion.

You know, that is a combination of words I never expected to see again.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
29-04-2016, 08:35 PM
(29-04-2016 08:33 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:He's a politician so he knows how to have a really good discussion.

You know, that is a combination of words I never expected to see again.

Anyone who's ever been a member of a debate team, as I'd assume many politicians have, is quite aware of the fact that being right has very little to do with "winning" a conversation. It's just another skill set Smile

'Murican Canadian
30-04-2016, 06:37 AM
(28-04-2016 02:02 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  He asserted that religion is the basis for the morals of the society we live in today. I asked him why we need to have to base our morality off of superstition and threat of damnation. He said that human beings are inherently psychopathic and it's only our upbringing that keeps us from being psychopaths.

He admitted that he thinks religion has been responsible for a lot of wars and that it's hard to believe the stories in the bible.

It's hard for me to totally and accurately reiterate the things he said, but those are some things I am sure that he said, which stand alone as statements in itself. I don't agree with him, but I'm left in that awkward position where I don't know how to argue back, so I just don't really offer a counter argument.

I did think he was extremely well composed and intellectual, I love listening to him talk. He's had a lot of world experience traveling and working for the government, especially in middle eastern countries like saudi arabia. I should be sure what to ask him about middle eastern countries.

From what I can see, religion really doesn't cause anything but problems. People are perfectly capable of being moral creatures without religion, religion is often the cause of more problems than it assumes it's worth. I also think that it's flawed to say that people need religion to be moral. My uncle says that i was raised by good parents, which is why I turned out to be a good person.

I was honestly fascinated by what he was saying. I don't agree with him, but I had a really fun time talking with him.

I will agree that most human beings are at least a little narcissistic. I was driving to work this morning and was at a red light. This asshole that didn't want to wait pulled up next to me and he was on the shoulder, not in a lane. Light turned green and we both floored it. He was going to try to disrespect me so I returned the favor and my Saturn had no trouble keeping him behind me. The great majority of people in NJ think they are better than everyone else. The nice thing is that a Porsche passed us both and I accelerated to keep pace with it. Left the jackass in the infinity that tried to pass illegally in the dust. I mean seriously. Some people just need to be put in their place.
30-04-2016, 07:24 AM
(28-04-2016 02:02 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  He asserted that religion is the basis for the morals of the society we live in today. I asked him why we need to have to base our morality off of superstition and threat of damnation. He said that human beings are inherently psychopathic and it's only our upbringing that keeps us from being psychopaths.

He admitted that he thinks religion has been responsible for a lot of wars and that it's hard to believe the stories in the bible.

It's hard for me to totally and accurately reiterate the things he said, but those are some things I am sure that he said, which stand alone as statements in itself. I don't agree with him, but I'm left in that awkward position where I don't know how to argue back, so I just don't really offer a counter argument.

I did think he was extremely well composed and intellectual, I love listening to him talk. He's had a lot of world experience traveling and working for the government, especially in middle eastern countries like saudi arabia. I should be sure what to ask him about middle eastern countries.

From what I can see, religion really doesn't cause anything but problems. People are perfectly capable of being moral creatures without religion, religion is often the cause of more problems than it assumes it's worth. I also think that it's flawed to say that people need religion to be moral. My uncle says that i was raised by good parents, which is why I turned out to be a good person.

I was honestly fascinated by what he was saying. I don't agree with him, but I had a really fun time talking with him.

In a way he's right. A comprehensive view of the world is a necessity for Human survival and religion provided that for a time. It was a completely false view, fundamentally, but it was better than nothing. In the pre-rational, pre-scientific era it filled a real need.

Religion is definitely a major influence on morality but it's the wrong morality and it is a morality that is destroying the West. The morality of self-sacrifice is the dominant morality today, thanks in large part to religion, and has been throughout history. It's a totally unjustifiable morality and it is anti-life and anti-man. It's the morality used by every dictator to justify his actions, though many drop "God" and replace it with "the people" or the "society".

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post