My unfortunate last name.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2017, 07:33 PM
My unfortunate last name.
So I know this is a little more of a personal issue but it's more of a rant.

So my last name is Barabas. One letter off of Barabbas. Every place I go people that say or read my name I get "OH Barabbas, just like from the bible." Dodgy "yeah, just like the rapist, murderer from the bible." I usually correct them letting them know the spelling is different. (Slightly)

After digging in my family history and learn more about my family name. I found out that Barabas (Hungarian origin) is a title people gave to criminals back in the long long past. So at some point in my family history a criminal got the title Barabas. And said "You know what, I'm fucking owning this god damn name."

Now another issue I found was that I can only go back into my Barabas family tree for like 3 Generations. My grandfather was no help. Mostly because from what he told me was the his grandparents disowned his father (My great grandfather) after marrying a Catholic. Dodgy So he has no idea and ancestry records run into a road block.

Any way just something that always gets under my skin. Anyone else have simaler problems? Maybe with mispronunciation or shift family pasts.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
08-04-2017, 07:37 PM
RE: My unfortunate last name.
My last name is uncommon and always mispronounced. Sleepy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-04-2017, 07:39 PM
(08-04-2017 07:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My last name is uncommon and always mispronounced. Sleepy

That's funny, Uncommon doesn't seem like a hard word to say.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 17 users Like Commonsensei's post
08-04-2017, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 07:48 PM by Vera.)
Would it make you feel better or worse, if I told it's the first time I'm hearing about the Biblical Barabbas (possibly because a) I read it in Bulgarian, might've been slightly different and b) I might've been reading it like a typical religionist... which is to say, going through the motions and skipping the "actually think about what you're reading" part). The only thing that comes (straight away) to mind is a character from a Russian retelling (plagiarisation?) of the story of Pinocchio...

"the evil puppetmaster Karabas Barabas wants to destroy him because Buratino disrupted the show.

[...]
Karabas Barabas releases Buratino after he learns that Papa Carlo's home contains a secret door for which Karabas has been searching. A Golden Key that Karabas once possessed, but later lost, opens this secret door. Karabas releases Buratino and even gives him five gold coins, asking only that Buratino watch after his father's home and make sure they do not move.

[...]
The story proceeds to tell of Buratino and his friends' hunt for the Golden Key, and their struggle against the evil Karabas, his loyal friend Duremar, as well as a couple of crooks: Alice the Fox and Basilio the Cat, who are after Buratino's coins. Many of Buratino's further adventures are however derived from Collodi's Pinocchio, reworked to fit into Tolstoy's story."

[Image: 64315_300.jpg]

[Image: f4aa05ca4d6b.jpg]

[Image: 1364464923_26.jpg]

My last name comes from the word peacock plus the normal surname ending in Bulgarian (-ova). Once someone asked me where it came from... my mum said - tell them they call us so because we're so very very beautiful Rolleyes (It was just the name of my great grandfather, really)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
08-04-2017, 07:42 PM
My first name is Danielle. And I'll be goddamned if people don't fuckin' try to spell it Daniel. ALL. THE. GODDAMNED. TIME. Look, people, it isn't that fucking hard. DANIEL is a man's name, mmkay? I am not a man! I like men, but I do not want to be a man. Get it fucking straight. Daniel is a male's name and Danielle is a feminized version of it. People magically know that Michelle with it's "elle" at the end is feminine but somehow Danielle throws them alllll the fuck off. Hobo

If it was just a misspelling, that'd be one thing. I mean, people have called me Daniella aloud and even if they spelled it like that, it'd be fine because at least it's feminine. But I do not want to be called by a male name. Angry

[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
08-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Oddly enough, I am fine with Dani. And that sounds like a guy's name too - Danny. But at least it's a little more gender neutral and can be "heard" as Dani, as a woman's nickname.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
08-04-2017, 07:51 PM
My last name is quite common and simple, Clark. I still have to tell peeps to leave off that extra E on the end. WTF?
All three of my names are possible first names. I could toss them around like a name salad Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
08-04-2017, 07:56 PM
I wanna change my name to Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-04-2017, 07:58 PM
(08-04-2017 07:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wanna change my name to Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-04-2017, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 08:40 PM by Anjele.)
My last name is quite rare...it's a German surname that defies one of the main spelling rules we in the US are taught as kids...the 'I before E thing' doesn't work for my last name (maiden name I should add). My first and middle name are the same as one of my great grandmothers. The first name is one I have found exactly twice in my life...grandma and me. No one can pronounce either my first or my last name on the first attempt and often not the second or third attempt either. Nor can people spell either one. Facepalm

My first name is Anges. Pronounced roughly as Ann-Jess. Guess...go ahead and guess how many people see and say Agnes...and those who get the order of the letters correct come up with Angus. Yeah thanks for giving me a first and last name that will leave me stuck with answering to a butchered rendition till I marry out of the last name.

When I was getting ready to graduate from high school the principal called my mom and said there was a problem...my name was misspelled on my diploma so it would be delayed. She immediately thought it was my last name that was wrong...no, everything was spelled correctly but the principal didn't see how that was possible...it looks wrong even when it's right.

When my brother and his wife were expecting their son I asked my brother if they had a name picked out yet. He listed a few saying that his wife was looking at trendy names and odd spellings. I told him to think about that because their son would never marry out of the last name and they should at least give the baby a first name people could pronounce. Then I added...take it from Angus Frittager. Weeping They did give him a name that is a bit uncommon but at least it's something people can work with.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post