My unfortunate last name.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2017, 05:55 AM
RE: My unfortunate last name.
(09-04-2017 05:53 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:33 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So my last name is Barabas.

Henceforth I shall call you Barbara.

I think I may go with Babs. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
09-04-2017, 06:20 AM
(09-04-2017 05:53 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:33 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  So my last name is Barabas.

Henceforth I shall call you Barbara's ass.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
09-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Could be worse.

I got the Master at Arms to do a room reassignment so my new roommate George Head got stuck with a guy named Mycock..

So the door tag read Mycock Head.

I don't think either were really amused.

I, on the other hand..............

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-04-2017, 07:01 AM
(08-04-2017 08:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My last name is uncommon and always mispronounced. Sleepy

Mine too, which is weird because it's really obvious how it should be pronounced.

We have the same last name???

Big Grin
Take that Barabas!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-04-2017, 08:28 AM
My last name is German for "behind man".

My father used to tell me that our family got the name in some forgotten Swiss war hundreds of years ago, because our ancestors were in the 2nd line of attack.

My father used to say that "in our family we're not stupid enough to be the 1st ones to try anything...watch the "pioneers" and then learn from their mistakes..." was his motto.

Of course when I told the kids at school what my last name translated into English was...it became a joke about homosexuality...

Because...of course it did...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
09-04-2017, 09:53 AM
(09-04-2017 07:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 08:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Mine too, which is weird because it's really obvious how it should be pronounced.

We have the same last name???

Big Grin
Take that Barabas!

Mine contains the letters "ea" that people always get wrong for some inexplicable reason. It's supposed to be pronounced like "ea" in "each". But no, people pronounce it as "ey".

09-04-2017, 10:22 AM
(08-04-2017 07:33 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  After digging in my family history and learn more about my family name. I found out that Barabas (Hungarian origin) is a title people gave to criminals back in the long long past. So at some point in my family history a criminal got the title Barabas. And said "You know what, I'm fucking owning this god damn name."

Yeah, but here's the irony, they probably took that from the bible. Otherwise they would have called him betyár, which is the hungarian term for criminal or highwayman.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
09-04-2017, 10:53 AM
My first name is Geoff. Why then does everybody always—when filling out paperwork on my behalf—spell it Jeff? EVERY fucking time.

I've now learned to automatically say "Geoff with a G"... last week this produced an inexplicable Geff. I'm still laughing. Facepalm

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-04-2017, 03:29 PM
My unfortunate last name.
My last name is Nowak, one of most common in Poland. Idiots still have troubles with pronouncing it. Fortunately I don't have more serious problems with it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-04-2017, 01:12 PM
(09-04-2017 10:53 AM)SYZ Wrote:  My first name is Geoff. Why then does everybody always—when filling out paperwork on my behalf—spell it Jeff? EVERY fucking time.

I've now learned to automatically say "Geoff with a G"... last week this produced an inexplicable Geff. I'm still laughing. Facepalm

"I'm sorry but it's pronounced Gif, not Jif."

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post