My unfortunate last name.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2017, 09:30 AM
RE: My unfortunate last name.
I thought Anthony Quinn was great in that movie and it was a great story. As I recall, the gist of it is something like:
Live & try to be good no matter how shitty life gets. If there's a christian around, they'll probably want to be martyred - all the true christians are doing it. A true christian is a dead christian. It's the only way to die.

I think I saw it when I was around 9 or 10 and it was quite moving. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2017, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2017 09:50 AM by OakTree500.)
My last name is a standard name, although is often mis-pronounced by people who can't read.

The main issue is my first name, Daniel. The amount of flack I've had from growing up because of my first name is shocking. I've had the obligatory: "Oh Danny Boy...the pipes the pipes are calling" sang to me and of course, everybody's favourite "Oh, Daniel-san" from the garbage Karate Kid movies.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
19-04-2017, 09:53 AM
(19-04-2017 09:42 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  My last name is a standard name, although is often mis-pronounced by people who can't read.

The main issue is my first name, Daniel. The amount of flack I've had from growing up because of my first name is shocking. I've had the obligatory: "Oh Danny Boy...the pipes the pipes are calling" sang to me and of course, everybody's favourite "Oh, Daniel-san" from the garbage Karate Kid movies.

The latter has only ever been acceptable once, when a genuine Japanese person said it to me, in a respectful manner, [plus he was slightly famous...its a long story], and I melted a little bit inside lol.

I shall call you Dano. Book 'em.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-04-2017, 10:02 AM
URGH, I hate that song! lol

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
19-04-2017, 11:04 AM
(19-04-2017 10:02 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  URGH, I hate that song! lol

Any better?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
19-04-2017, 12:12 PM
(19-04-2017 07:23 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Also towards the OP, my first name is spelled with either one L or two Ls; I spell it with one. This has not stopped even some relatives from mis-spelling my name for 30 years now. Yes

My first name is Darrell.

It astounds me how many Darrells don't know how to spell their own goddamned name.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-04-2017, 02:52 PM
(19-04-2017 12:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My first name is Darrell.

It astounds me how many Darrells don't know how to spell their own goddamned name.

How the hell are we supposed to tell you apart from your brother Darryl if you don't spell it different?

[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
19-04-2017, 04:47 PM
(19-04-2017 02:52 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 12:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My first name is Darrell.

How the hell are we supposed to tell you apart from your brother Darryl if you don't spell it different?

I have two brothers named Bruce. My mother liked the name so well that when she remarried and had more children she named another of her son's Bruce. So I have a half brother named Bruce and a full blooded brother named Bruce. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-04-2017, 06:26 PM
(19-04-2017 09:42 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  My last name is a standard name, although is often mis-pronounced by people who can't read.

I feel your pain! There are a few songs with my first name, all of them awful. I have had all of them sung to me numerous times.

I was complaining about this once in college to someone I'd just met. He wrote me a new song with my name in it that was even worse...
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
19-04-2017, 09:12 PM
(18-04-2017 10:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Does anyone remember phone books?? I used to entertain myself by looking up funny names and laughing hysterically. Some of the last names I remember. Lipschitz, Christmas and Turnupseed.

I remember there was a politician or some sort of city official down in Los Angeles who was a doctor and his last name was Doctor. Once in awhile the press would interview this guy and on the TV screen the'd have his name listed as Dr. Doctor.

There was a guy from my hometown called Mike Hunt. Not Michael. As if his parents decided, like a boy named Sue, to toughen him up via his name. I once heard the cashier at the supermarket over the PA system informing him of a phone call. She took great pains to not sound perverted--"MiKE.........Hunt, you have a telephone call."

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 1 user Likes Vivian Darkbloom's post