My upcoming debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 08:21 PM
My upcoming debate
This is my senior year in college, making it the "year of capstone courses." The anthropology capstone is basically a debate class. The professor has chosen a list of controversial subjects, and the students are supposed to muster our knowledge gained from four years of anthropology classes--1 year in my case since I changed my major late--to debate these from either a pro or a con stance. The subjects range from the reburial of native artifacts to cannibalism in the early human lineage. Today's debate was about the evolutionary advantage (or lack there) of homosexuality.

I have chosen to be the con side of the next debate, which asks if Intelligent Design should replace science in the class room. The person who reluctantly volunteered for the pro side is most likely an atheist himself, so this is going to be interesting. I've already got a good idea of what I'm going to say since I've got a book by Eugenie Scott of the National Center for Science Education (NCSE) that lays out the various arguments from both sides, and I also have a book that explores the history of Intelligent Design and its obvious connection to religion. But what you guys mention?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
03-02-2014, 08:27 PM
RE: My upcoming debate
Memorize this by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and you'll do just fine!

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
03-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Ghost, I can't imagine that you haven't already seen this NOVA special but even if you have it can't hurt to watch it again before the dabate. Good luck.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/i...trial.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Edit: Damn, Full Circle beat me to it. Tongue

Have you seen the NOVA's Intelligent Design on Trial yet? It's a comprehensive and quite interesting documentary about the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
03-02-2014, 08:54 PM
(03-02-2014 08:51 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Edit: Damn, Full Circle beat me to it. Tongue

Have you seen the NOVA's Intelligent Design on Trial yet? It's a comprehensive and quite interesting documentary about the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial.

Grape minds think alike. Big Grin

(Hey, the video just disappeared from your post!)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
(03-02-2014 08:30 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Ghost, I can't imagine that you haven't already seen this NOVA special but even if you have it can't hurt to watch it again before the dabate. Good luck.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/i...trial.html

I have it on my computer. One of the expert witnesses on the plantiff side wrote the book I mentioned above. For those who have never heard of it, the work is entitled Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design (2nd ed., 2007).

(03-02-2014 08:51 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Edit: Damn, Full Circle beat me to it. Tongue

A for effort.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Grab a few mp3 podcasts of debates/discussions featuring Stephen Myer.

I always laugh when opponents of ID, in such debates, challenge the proponents of intelligent design theory to present their case,
because 'presenting the case' for ID is exactly what anti-theists/skeptics DONT want happening in our taxpayer funded schools.
They want to debate people like Stephen Meyer but they dont want the topic discussed in schools???

Why all the irrational fear of an alternative to unguided evolution? What is so wrong with enquiring minds considering any popular theory?
03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
(03-02-2014 10:00 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Grab a few mp3 podcasts of debates/discussions featuring Stephen Myer.

I always laugh when opponents of ID, in such debates, challenge the proponents of intelligent design theory to present their case,
because 'presenting the case' for ID is exactly what anti-theists/skeptics DONT want happening in our taxpayer funded schools.
They want to debate people like Stephen Meyer but they dont want the topic discussed in schools???

They don't present Grimm's Fairy Tales for debate in schools.

Quote:Why all the irrational fear

Oh, look -- a straw man to stuff up your ass.

Quote:of an alternative to unguided evolution? What is so wrong with enquiring minds considering any popular theory?

It isn't a theory. It's a fairy story.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
03-02-2014, 10:17 PM
(03-02-2014 10:00 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  ...
Why all the irrational fear of an alternative to unguided evolution?...

Evolution is not unguided. It's guided by nature, thus the phrase evolution by the process of natural selection.

03-02-2014, 10:29 PM
(03-02-2014 10:00 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Grab a few mp3 podcasts of debates/discussions featuring Stephen Myer.

Why all the irrational fear of an alternative to unguided evolution? What is so wrong with enquiring minds considering any popular theory?

Because, like evolution, it needs to have good, solid evidence if it is going to be taught alongside it. Science is about proof, not making up anything you want and saying "this has just as much credibility as anything else!" Science will never claim something that has no proof to be true, and it will never hold onto the idea that something is still true after it has clearly been debunked.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post