My upcoming debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 10:33 PM
RE: My upcoming debate
(03-02-2014 10:29 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 10:00 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Grab a few mp3 podcasts of debates/discussions featuring Stephen Myer.

I always laugh when opponents of ID, in such debates, challenge the proponents of intelligent design theory to present their case,
because 'presenting the case' for ID is exactly what anti-theists/skeptics DONT want happening in our taxpayer funded schools.
They want to debate people like Stephen Meyer but they dont want the topic discussed in schools???

Why all the irrational fear of an alternative to unguided evolution? What is so wrong with enquiring minds considering any popular theory?

Because, like evolution, it needs to have good, solid evidence if it is going to be taught alongside it. Science is about proof, not making up anything you want and saying "this has just as much credibility as anything else!" Science will never claim something that has no proof to be true, and it will never hold onto the idea that something is still true after it has clearly been debunked.

Why are "soft" sciences taught in schools?
Psychology?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 10:38 PM
(03-02-2014 10:17 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 10:00 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  ...
Why all the irrational fear of an alternative to unguided evolution?...

Evolution is not unguided. It's guided by nature, thus the phrase evolution by the process of natural selection.

Raptor Jesus, I'd like you to meet Jerry Coyne....

"...to the best of our knowledge evolution, like all natural processes, is purposeless and unguided."
http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_artic...evolution#
03-02-2014, 10:38 PM
(03-02-2014 10:33 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 10:29 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Because, like evolution, it needs to have good, solid evidence if it is going to be taught alongside it. Science is about proof, not making up anything you want and saying "this has just as much credibility as anything else!" Science will never claim something that has no proof to be true, and it will never hold onto the idea that something is still true after it has clearly been debunked.

Why are "soft" sciences taught in schools?
Psychology?

You think your fairy stories compare in the slightest with "soft" sciences?

[Image: 387618476_1390980739.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
03-02-2014, 10:42 PM
(03-02-2014 10:33 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why are "soft" sciences taught in schools?
Psychology?

You do not understand what the phrase "soft sciences" means. It does not mean what you seem to think it means.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
03-02-2014, 10:48 PM
(03-02-2014 10:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 10:17 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Evolution is not unguided. It's guided by nature, thus the phrase evolution by the process of natural selection.

Raptor Jesus, I'd like you to meet Jerry Coyne....

"...to the best of our knowledge evolution, like all natural processes, is purposeless and unguided."
http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_artic...evolution#

From that article...
"evolution is unguided and purposeless (in the SENSE of not being directed by a higher intelligence or teleological force)"

Evolution is most certainly purposeless, and in the "sense" this author means "unguided" "by a higher intelligence or teleological force", I agree.

03-02-2014, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 10:56 PM by Lion IRC.)
(03-02-2014 08:21 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This is my senior year in college, making it the "year of capstone courses." The anthropology capstone is basically a debate class. The professor has chosen a list of controversial subjects...[snip]...the next debate, which asks if Intelligent Design should...

Great to see a College professor giving ID prominence as a controversy worthy of discussion.
[Image: monkey_cartoon.jpg]
03-02-2014, 10:54 PM
(03-02-2014 10:42 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 10:33 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why are "soft" sciences taught in schools?
Psychology?

You do not understand what the phrase "soft sciences" means. It does not mean what you seem to think it means.

I dont think you understand what hard sciences are.

(03-02-2014 10:29 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  ...Science is about proof.

(03-02-2014 10:29 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  ...Science will never claim something that has no proof to be true...

Is psychology a science or not?

What about political science? Hard or soft?
03-02-2014, 11:07 PM
(03-02-2014 10:49 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 08:21 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This is my senior year in college, making it the "year of capstone courses." The anthropology capstone is basically a debate class. The professor has chosen a list of controversial subjects...[snip]...the next debate, which asks if Intelligent Design should...

Great to see a College professor giving ID prominence as a controversy worthy of discussion.

It's an exercise to promote viewing subjects from multiple viewpoints. The professor himself is an anthropologist who accepts evolution. There is no real controversy.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
03-02-2014, 11:07 PM
(03-02-2014 10:49 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  

... and great to see that it is relegated to a (presumably) short and, no doubt, humour-laden yet adult conversation, tucked away in a dusty corner of a predominantly fact-based course.

GE,
That would make an interesting debate point... that the very debate you are having is in such a format, and at such a point in the course. Contrast that against an alternative of impressionable children being exposed to it.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-02-2014, 11:17 PM
(03-02-2014 11:07 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 10:49 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Great to see a College professor giving ID prominence as a controversy worthy of discussion.

It's an exercise to promote viewing subjects from multiple viewpoints. The professor himself is an anthropologist who accepts evolution. There is no real controversy.

Yeah, yeah. I get that.
But it still made the short list of subjects.
And I think the anti-ID folk are starting to realise that that whole Expelled movie controversy made them look a little fearful and closed-minded.
Really, what is wrong with an open contest of ideas in the science class room? The anti-theism brigade wont even let it get mentioned as a proposed alternative theory.