My upcoming debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 11:20 PM
RE: My upcoming debate
(03-02-2014 11:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Really, what is wrong with an open contest of ideas in the science class room? The anti-theism brigade wont even let it get mentioned as a proposed alternative theory.

Um...it's not science? It's not a hypothesis? It's not an alternative?

Just some thoughts...

Very much cheers to all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
03-02-2014, 11:24 PM
(03-02-2014 11:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  ...
Really, what is wrong with an open contest of ideas in the science class room? The anti-theism brigade wont even let it get mentioned as a proposed alternative theory.

Discussion of the "contest of ideas in the science class room"... no problem, if pupils have already acquired the right evaluation tools (critical thinking).

My old maths teacher was forever telling jokes about what primitive cultures used to believe (like the Greeks having no 'zero').

But the actual contest of what will be taught as fact happens outside the class.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-02-2014, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 11:56 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(03-02-2014 11:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Yeah, yeah. I get that.
But it still made the short list of subjects.
And I think the anti-ID folk are starting to realise that that whole Expelled movie controversy made them look a little fearful and closed-minded.
Really, what is wrong with an open contest of ideas in the science class room? The anti-theism brigade wont even let it get mentioned as a proposed alternative theory.

I'm pretty sure all involved know that the move was heavily edited and that they were made to look that way by deceit.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...u-to-know/

As to your last statement, there is no contest and no alternative theory. There isn't even an alternative hypothesis.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
03-02-2014, 11:49 PM
(03-02-2014 08:21 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I have chosen to be the con side of the next debate, which asks if Intelligent Design should replace science in the class room. The person who reluctantly volunteered for the pro side is most likely an atheist himself, so this is going to be interesting. I've already got a good idea of what I'm going to say since I've got a book by Eugenie Scott of the National Center for Science Education (NCSE) that lays out the various arguments from both sides, and I also have a book that explores the history of Intelligent Design and its obvious connection to religion. But what you guys mention?

What do I think? I think the other guy got the shaft. There is no sensible argument that can be made that ID should replace science in class rooms. The best he can hope for, is some tear jerker emotional plea.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
04-02-2014, 12:03 AM
I agree its a no-win for the affirmative.
The wording..."ID should replace science" isnt even what the proponents of ID in schools are seeking.
Its a false dilemma.
04-02-2014, 12:06 AM
(04-02-2014 12:03 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I agree its a no-win for the affirmative.
The wording..."ID should replace science" isnt even what the proponents of ID in schools are seeking.
Its a false dilemma.

No, It is in fact exactly what proponents of ID are seeking. Their agenda is the complete undermining and eradication of science education, and evolution in the science classroom.

04-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Its a false dilemma.

No false dilemma, just a mistake in paraphrasing. I just looked at the syllabus; it actually says: "Should Intelligent Design replace the Darwinian Theory of Evolution?" It would still require evolution to be banished from the classroom.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
04-02-2014, 12:11 AM
The wording..."ID should replace science" isnt [SIC]even what the proponents of ID in schools are seeking.
Its a false dilemma.

As is the "evolution 'vs' (ID/Creation/WHATTHEFUCKEVERBULLSHIT) "question".

BULLSHIT doesn't go anywhere.

You....are on the losing side of the evolutionary process.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
04-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Hey Ghost, this is off topic, but I thought you might like it. I just saw this documentary on PBS about the crested black macaque. The site says it's only available online for two more days.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365164485/

04-02-2014, 12:36 AM
(04-02-2014 12:24 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Hey Ghost, this is off topic, but I thought you might like it. I just saw this documentary on PBS about the crested black macaque. The site says it's only available online for two more days.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365164485/

Thanks. Frans De Wall, a noted primatologist, linked to it on facebook the other day. It's on my "to watch" list.