My upcoming debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 06:33 PM
RE: My upcoming debate
I once asked a room full of academic educationalists why society sent children to school. They looked at me as if I was mad but when I pressed the issue they had think about it. One person suggested it was like a day care centre so parents could go to work, but I pointed out that a sweat shop would also do the job and be more economically productive. It used to be that children just worked alongside their parents rather than go to school. Before they had a chance to lynch me I told them that we send children to school so they can learn what they need to be productive members of society in the future. Not least so they can look after the retired generation.

I was reminded of this because of the point that Raptor Jesus has made. Why does it matter whether we teach children ID or evolution? Because some of those children will grow up and contribute to a future society using an understanding of evolution. They won't be able to do that with ID because ID has no basis in reality. If we don't care whether they learn about ID or evolution then we might as employ children in sweatshops instead for immediate economic gain rather than investing in the future.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
04-02-2014, 10:11 PM
On right now... Creationism vs Evolution, Nye vs. Ham

05-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas everybody. I thought you might like one of the slides I made for the debate presentation. You need to have seen this particular episode of South Park to fully understand the comparison.

[Image: gdcg.png]

For those who haven't seen it, here is a clip:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
10-02-2014, 07:42 PM
The debate happened today. It was a rather enjoyable experience for me. I have to say I really respected my opponent because he really threw himself into the role of a creationist despite being an atheist. He brought out all of the traditional tropes about no transitional fossils, flawed dating methods, anti-religious bias, etc. Lots of pointing and finger-wagging were added bonuses.

Below is my powerpoint presentation. I should point out that I didn't include everything I talked about; my professor is of the belief that "less is more" in a presentation--i.e., small snippets of info elaborated on in a lecture. The stuff I didn't add but mentioned included the silliness of "teach the controversy;" how Design theory can't make predictions or evolutionary-based cures; and how the ID POV is damaging to our future because children who grow up learning this stuff will eventually become our elected officials.

http://www.slideshare.net/ghostexorcist/...-evolution

By the way, the bit mentioning "8,500 journals --> 1965-2014" was my search for the term "Intelligent Design" on the search engine Web of Science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2014, 08:59 PM
(10-02-2014 07:42 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The debate happened today. It was a rather enjoyable experience for me. I have to say I really respected my opponent because he really threw himself into the role of a creationist despite being an atheist. He brought out all of the traditional tropes about no transitional fossils, flawed dating methods, anti-religious bias, etc. Lots of pointing and finger-wagging were added bonuses.

Below is my powerpoint presentation. I should point out that I didn't include everything I talked about; my professor is of the belief that "less is more" in a presentation--i.e., small snippets of info elaborated on in a lecture. The stuff I didn't add but mentioned included the silliness of "teach the controversy;" how Design theory can't make predictions or evolutionary-based cures; and how the ID POV is damaging to our future because children who grow up learning this stuff will eventually become our elected officials.

By the way, the bit mentioning "8,500 journals --> 1965-2014" was my search for the term "Intelligent Design" on the search engine Web of Science.

I'm sure you kicked ass Jim, thanks for sharing.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-02-2014, 12:56 PM
(10-02-2014 07:42 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The debate happened today. It was a rather enjoyable experience for me. I have to say I really respected my opponent because he really threw himself into the role of a creationist despite being an atheist. He brought out all of the traditional tropes about no transitional fossils, flawed dating methods, anti-religious bias, etc. Lots of pointing and finger-wagging were added bonuses.

Well done. Nice slideshow presentation.