My very first attempts at astrophotography

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-04-2015, 11:08 PM
RE: My very first attempts at astrophotography
(24-02-2015 07:39 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I dont see anything, just thumbnails of a file.

Also, what equiptment do you use for that? I always assumed that only telescopes in outerspace could take pictures of things like that. What are you using?

Telescopes in space can, and take much better photos. But there is a lot we can see here on earth as well.

I use a 72mm Astrotech refractor telescope with a field flattener, a tracking mount (with a guided monochrome camera so my laptop can track stars), and a baader modified Canon T1i camera.

The result is that it lets me take lots of long exposures, and then you are able to stack the data. Think of it like a pixel puzzle piece. You take one photo that perhaps has some good detail, maybe missing some data in a few places. You take another photo, and perhaps it lacks data the other photo had, but makes up for it in another place. You keep taking photos, photo after photo, and eventually you have a pattern of photos that have a consistency of data that allows detail of an object.

You stack said photos and processing software will basically fill in the detail that is averaged and added from the photos. You can then subtract dead pixels from them using some basic dark/flat photo algorithms the processing software has, and you are left with a linear photo that can be edited for curves, colors, detail etc.

Your eyes would never see these things, but with a good telescope, clear enough optics, and long enough exposures with a camera, you'd be amazed what you can see.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
19-07-2015, 02:35 AM
Took more photos tonight. My girlfriend and I took turns taking photos and then I processed them. Messier 81 and 82. Also known as Bode's galaxy.
[Image: yJ5J0Hz.jpg]
[Image: 6ph3ird.jpg]
[Image: scy48ii.jpg]
[Image: 6Ln09Z8.jpg]

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 7 users Like Logisch's post
20-09-2015, 01:46 PM
More pics from a session from last night because pew pew lasers.

M13 globular
[Image: 4nv5riH.jpg]

M31 Andromeda
[Image: heyKuuj.jpg]

M33 Triangulum galaxy
[Image: QBY0TgC.jpg]

[+] 12 users Like Logisch's post
20-09-2015, 02:23 PM
All sorts of good stuff Logisch. Nice work. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-09-2015, 02:23 PM
(20-09-2015 02:23 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  All sorts of good stuff Logisch. Nice work. Wink

Thank you Smile

20-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Awesome work! What telescope are you using?

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-09-2015, 03:17 PM
wow! Looking great, I want to attempt galaxies next. Heart Andromeda!!! Heart
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
20-09-2015, 04:11 PM
(20-09-2015 02:48 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  Awesome work! What telescope are you using?

Astrotech 72mm Doublet Refractor

20-09-2015, 04:12 PM
(20-09-2015 03:17 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  wow! Looking great, I want to attempt galaxies next. Heart Andromeda!!! Heart

Thanks LadyJane! I hope all is going well for you. I say go for it! Andromeda is a fun object.

20-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Wow these take my breath away. Thanks for sharing more!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta