My very first attempts at astrophotography

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-09-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: My very first attempts at astrophotography
(20-09-2015 04:11 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 02:48 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  Awesome work! What telescope are you using?

Astrotech 72mm Doublet Refractor

What made you decide to go with a refractor?

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2015, 07:55 PM
(20-09-2015 07:19 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 04:11 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Astrotech 72mm Doublet Refractor

What made you decide to go with a refractor?

Well, I was using a dobsonian prior, and the optical clarity of the refractor was much better. Although I don't get the reflection artifacts from bright stars that some people enjoy from say a newtonian. But I love the clarity factor. The lens quality is superb with the AstroTech. The downside is that I don't have tons of aperture to work with. I'd like to go for a 130mm or larger, but currently the cost of the telescopes that I want at that size, it isn't something I'll be springing for any time soon.

The other benefit I greatly enjoy is not having to constantly adjust mirrors Tongue

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
21-09-2015, 12:17 AM
I cannot see a damned thing!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-09-2015, 03:22 AM
(20-09-2015 07:55 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 07:19 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  What made you decide to go with a refractor?

Well, I was using a dobsonian prior, and the optical clarity of the refractor was much better. Although I don't get the reflection artifacts from bright stars that some people enjoy from say a newtonian. But I love the clarity factor. The lens quality is superb with the AstroTech. The downside is that I don't have tons of aperture to work with. I'd like to go for a 130mm or larger, but currently the cost of the telescopes that I want at that size, it isn't something I'll be springing for any time soon.

The other benefit I greatly enjoy is not having to constantly adjust mirrors Tongue

What was the aperture of the reflectors you tried? Perhaps look into getting a cassegrain and have the best of both worlds?

If I wasn't married I would probably end up with this 16" Meade dobsonian cassegrain in my backyard

Laugh out load

[Image: 678616lightbridge-16.jpg]

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
21-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Wow these are incredible, the nebulae are awesome. I am getting into astronomy myself so these are very motivational, thank you!

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
21-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Is it weird that I spent the rest of the day reading about astrophotography methods and telescopes? I am so jealous...

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
21-09-2015, 09:44 PM
I've got one of these:

[Image: 11099_celestron-cgem-1100-schmidt-casseg...escope.jpg]

Celestron 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain (catadioptric) on a CG-5 German equatorial mount with computer control.

Like Logisch, I'd like a large aperture apochromatic refractor. An apochromatic is usually a triplet, so they ain't cheap.
A Meade Series 6000 130mm ED Triplet APO Refractor is about $3000. That's just the scope.

Maybe someone would be interested in my SCT? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-09-2015, 12:17 AM
(21-09-2015 03:22 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 07:55 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Well, I was using a dobsonian prior, and the optical clarity of the refractor was much better. Although I don't get the reflection artifacts from bright stars that some people enjoy from say a newtonian. But I love the clarity factor. The lens quality is superb with the AstroTech. The downside is that I don't have tons of aperture to work with. I'd like to go for a 130mm or larger, but currently the cost of the telescopes that I want at that size, it isn't something I'll be springing for any time soon.

What was the aperture of the reflectors you tried? Perhaps look into getting a cassegrain and have the best of both worlds?

If I wasn't married I would probably end up with this 16" Meade dobsonian cassegrain in my backyard

Laugh out load

[Image: 678616lightbridge-16.jpg]

I previously had an 8" dobsonian. However, it had no tracking mount. A 16" dob would be way too much fun. I have no idea where I'd put it though lol.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
22-09-2015, 12:18 AM
(21-09-2015 09:07 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Is it weird that I spent the rest of the day reading about astrophotography methods and telescopes? I am so jealous...

Not at all, astronomy is humbling, fantastic and fun Smile

(21-09-2015 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  I've got one of these:

[Image: 11099_celestron-cgem-1100-schmidt-casseg...escope.jpg]

Celestron 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain (catadioptric) on a CG-5 German equatorial mount with computer control.

Like Logisch, I'd like a large aperture apochromatic refractor. An apochromatic is usually a triplet, so they ain't cheap.
A Meade Series 6000 130mm ED Triplet APO Refractor is about $3000. That's just the scope.

Maybe someone would be interested in my SCT? Consider

I'd imagine that probably takes pretty good pictures though? We have the same mount and you have more aperture. A guidescope will change your world though.

28-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Working on a time lapse of the moon. Here's a few sneak peeks.
[Image: 1WNYM7p.jpg]

[Image: HCeZckf.jpg]

[Image: QRaWT4f.jpg]

[+] 5 users Like Logisch's post