My very first attempts at astrophotography

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-10-2013, 03:46 PM
RE: My very first attempts at astrophotography
(27-10-2013 03:43 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Binoculars are actually great for astronomy! Most finder scopes are the equivalent of a pair of binocs, and you can see a lot of stars through them. Sometime, check out the Pleiades with a pair of binoculars.

This is your best friend for looking at the day and time something is available to you in the sky: http://neave.com/planetarium/

Look for a constellation that looks like a small club, a tiny version of the big dipper. Alternatively if you have a phone with gyro sensors, get "google sky maps" - I use it EVERY TIME I go out with my telescope.

But I'd say with a nice pair of binocs, you can find some great stuff. Orion nebula is visible through binocs, pleiades (at least the cluster) can be seen, andromeda (slightly) and often times you can spot jupiter and the moons (although they'll look like tiny dots in binocs, teeny tiny ass dots).

*Bookmarks website*

Thanks for your reply. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Logisch, your pictures are great.

I feel so lucky when I manage a relatively decent photo, I envy your knowledge and the eye to get such amazing shots.

Seriously think that when I get done with school in the spring I am going to take a class in photography...starting with extra basic, of course.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Christmas Eve shot of the Orion Nebula courtesy of yours truly Smile I'm pretty proud of this one.
[Image: DaagpzA.jpg]

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 10 users Like Logisch's post
25-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Very clear shot!
25-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks LadyJane Smile I'm quite happy with it. I'm going to try and reprocess it again when I have a day off and sharpen it up a tad. I did absolutely no sharpening or filters. I just adjusted the color and exposure. I normally go with an 800ISO, this was actually 21 shots at 90 seconds at 400ISO and I'm incredibly happy with the results.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
25-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Astrophotography? Why would someone want to take pictures of George Jetson's dog? And isn't that a cartoon anyway?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
25-12-2013, 08:26 AM
(25-12-2013 08:18 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Astrophotography? Why would someone want to take pictures of George Jetson's dog? And isn't that a cartoon anyway?

Yes. Tongue

25-12-2013, 09:27 AM
(25-12-2013 08:07 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Thanks LadyJane Smile I'm quite happy with it. I'm going to try and reprocess it again when I have a day off and sharpen it up a tad. I did absolutely no sharpening or filters. I just adjusted the color and exposure. I normally go with an 800ISO, this was actually 21 shots at 90 seconds at 400ISO and I'm incredibly happy with the results.

You're getting pretty good at this. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks my friend! Smile It's a steep learning curve, but I'm learning bit by bit. My next thing I want to learn is getting proper color. Baader modification tends to go overbearing with red due to the Ha introduction. I tried adjusting the camera itself, made it worse. I guess I need to calibrate it and then figure out what to adjust in post image processing.

25-12-2013, 09:33 AM
What a wonderful photo to wake up to on Christmas morning. Thanks Logisch!!! Big Grin