25-12-2013, 09:46 AM
RE: My very first attempts at astrophotography
That is BEAUTIFUL!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2013, 10:18 AM
(25-12-2013 09:46 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  That is BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you Smile

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
26-12-2013, 11:53 AM
This is the best photo of Jupiter and 3 of its 4 major moons that I have taken with my 8 inch dobsonian telescope (along with a crappy camera).
[Image: 1462578_470712569711860_356924184_o.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
26-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Sweet Logisch! I still haven't pulled the trigger on my scope yet.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2013, 11:55 PM
(26-12-2013 11:53 AM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  This is the best photo of Jupiter and 3 of its 4 major moons that I have taken with my 8 inch dobsonian telescope (along with a crappy camera).
[Image: 1462578_470712569711860_356924184_o.jpg]

I had an 8" dob prior to the pics I've recently taken. A good way to snag Jupiter with a dob is to use a 2x barlow, position yourself so that you can predict it coming across your area of view, and then take several very short exposures of it. If you can toss them in something like Registax, you can easily get a few photos of it, and some that are somewhat clear.

The other way to do it, is to take video of it, and then have Registax stack those.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
27-12-2013, 12:14 AM
(24-12-2013 11:32 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Christmas Eve shot of the Orion Nebula courtesy of yours truly Smile I'm pretty proud of this one.
[Image: DaagpzA.jpg]

Just set that pic as the wallpaper on my phone. Looks awesome man!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-12-2013, 02:49 AM
Where did the original pictures go? I WANT TO SEE THE GODDAMN PICTURES!

[Image: giphy.gif]
01-01-2014, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2014 01:06 PM by Logisch.)
(27-12-2013 02:49 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Where did the original pictures go? I WANT TO SEE THE GODDAMN PICTURES!

The old hosting site I had that I used finally shut down I think. I'll rehost them. I'll have to yank them off my linux box later.

Here's a moon pic I recently stacked from 2 month old data though to suffice in the interim.

[Image: oHKMGir.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
02-05-2014, 02:14 PM
So this is the same picture, same data from the Orion picture (M42) I took on christmas eve. I had asked a fellow redditor if PixInsight was worth it. I'd been looking for a reason to sell myself on buying the software for processing... they offered to use PixInsight to process my photo and sent me back with this... i had to share because HOLY SHIT. That said, all credit for processing on this goes to PixInsightFTW from reddit. Just... damn.

[Image: OnziKRE.jpg]

Side by side the original where I attempted to process it.

[+] 6 users Like Logisch's post
02-05-2014, 02:55 PM
(02-05-2014 02:14 PM)Logisch Wrote:  So this is the same picture, same data from the Orion picture (M42) I took on christmas eve. I had asked a fellow redditor if PixInsight was worth it. I'd been looking for a reason to sell myself on buying the software for processing... they offered to use PixInsight to process my photo and sent me back with this... i had to share because HOLY SHIT. That said, all credit for processing on this goes to PixInsightFTW from reddit. Just... damn.

[Image: OnziKRE.jpg]

Side by side the original where I attempted to process it.

Ohmy that is so cool! Moar please!!

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.