My views on Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2014, 09:38 PM
RE: My views on Morality
(22-01-2014 09:05 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Suppose a real supreme authority/adjudicator could be demonstrated. Would I then be justified in my reference to Him as an objective arbiter of morality.

Oh, look -- yet another disingenuous attempt at an end-run around your responsibility to demonstrate that your "supreme authority/adjudicator" bullshit actually exists.

LyinOrc: "My gawd-shit does this and that bullshit, etc...."

Vosur: "You haven't shown that this to exist."

LyinOrc: "Well just suppose he does. My gawd-shit does this and that bullshit, etc..."

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2014, 09:51 PM
(22-01-2014 09:31 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:32 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  God might make laws

No, I do not.

(22-01-2014 09:35 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 05:14 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  With divine moral law, the day of reckoning is inescapable and universally applicable to creatures under the law.

You haven't shown such a thing to exist. All you have done is pander question-begging made-up bullshit. As usual.

(22-01-2014 09:38 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 09:05 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Suppose a real supreme authority/adjudicator could be demonstrated. Would I then be justified in my reference to Him as an objective arbiter of morality.

Oh, look -- yet another disingenuous attempt at an end-run around your responsibility to demonstrate that your "supreme authority/adjudicator" bullshit actually exists.

LyinOrc: "My gawd-shit does this and that bullshit, etc...."
LyinOrc: "Well just suppose he does. My gawd-shit does this and that bullshit, etc..."

The thinking atheist in three part harmony. Thumbsup

See ya Vosur.
22-01-2014, 10:56 PM
(22-01-2014 09:51 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  See ya Vosur.

Bye Bye, fail troll.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
23-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Tourettes contaminating threads with nonsense as usual.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
23-01-2014, 09:54 AM
(22-01-2014 09:05 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  You said that my answer of "God" depended on whether the existence of God could be demonstrated.

Suppose a real supreme authority/adjudicator could be demonstrated. Would I then be justified in my reference to Him as an objective arbiter of morality.

Think of it another way. Suppose you and I are arguing about whether preaching "ought" to be allowed here at TTA?
I say yes. (My subjective opinion.)You say no. (Your subjective opinion.) All things being equal, we are at an impasse.
It's a nil-all-draw. How else can we settle the matter?

Enter the Creator of the Forum. He who gave us this place. He who ultimately decides to rules. The law giver.

He says you are right and I am wrong. Sadcryface2

But I still insist that both of you are wrong and that you have no objective means of demonstrating that I "ought" not to preach, so I continue to do so.

If nothing happens, I am right to assume that theres no punishment and that the so-called rules are just irrelevant window dressing and subjective opinion.
Even if a majority of folk all agree that preaching "ought" to be banned, it is still just popular opinon rather than a law.

...UNLESS I get punished and the law giver demonstrates that objective moral laws are more than just popular opinion.

God says, My Forum. My Rules. (Thats fair isnt it?)
In that case, my answer to your question is a resounding "yes".

(22-01-2014 09:51 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  The thinking atheist in three part harmony. Thumbsup

See ya Vosur.
Don't punish me for someone else's behavior. Dodgy

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-01-2014, 11:13 AM
(21-01-2014 09:49 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 08:29 PM)Krabman Wrote:  As a child, I was taught the difference between “right” and “wrong” or “good” and “bad”. I was often asked to describe the morals of stories, to apologize when I had done “wrong” or “bad” deeds, and I had expected to be praised when I had done something “right” or “good”. Being taught to be a good boy was remedial, as I often refused to pay attention or let my curiosity get the best of me. Often times, being a “bad” child was just asking why was it necessary to do good deeds. I was told as a child NOT to question the authority of my superiors. However, becoming a young adult, people have instead told me it was necessary to question authority and “speak up for myself”. The good deed as a child has now become a bad deed as an adult.

After several situations of changes in “good” and “bad”, I had noticed that morals can be altered. Therefore, they are not absolute. To steal is often viewed as a bad deed, however when you steal for the sake of your starving family it becomes a good deed. The kleptomaniac steals for pleasure or the thrill of stealing. The man in poverty steals to provide himself with his next meal. Both benefit from this and neither feel that the deed they have done is bad. However, the criticism both of them will receive will be mixed. If the men are receiving mixed criticism, good and evil are not valid entities.

Animals, plants, bacteria and other life forms do not have a moral code. Spiders eat their mates. Some dogs eat their pups. Nature has no universal code for morality. The human moral code is used to attempt to create a stable civil ecosystem. Therefore, morality is irrelevant to nature and is only a human concept. It is not absolute, and it is entirely up to the individual to evaluate his or her decisions.

What is your opinion of this video?

I'm still waiting on Krabman's response to the video. Here is the full video from which the previous clip was taken.

23-01-2014, 08:17 PM
(23-01-2014 09:54 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 09:05 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  You said that my answer of "God" depended on whether the existence of God could be demonstrated.

Suppose a real supreme authority/adjudicator could be demonstrated. Would I then be justified in my reference to Him as an objective arbiter of morality.

Think of it another way. Suppose you and I are arguing about whether preaching "ought" to be allowed here at TTA?
I say yes. (My subjective opinion.)You say no. (Your subjective opinion.) All things being equal, we are at an impasse.
It's a nil-all-draw. How else can we settle the matter?

Enter the Creator of the Forum. He who gave us this place. He who ultimately decides to rules. The law giver.

He says you are right and I am wrong. Sadcryface2

But I still insist that both of you are wrong and that you have no objective means of demonstrating that I "ought" not to preach, so I continue to do so.

If nothing happens, I am right to assume that theres no punishment and that the so-called rules are just irrelevant window dressing and subjective opinion.
Even if a majority of folk all agree that preaching "ought" to be banned, it is still just popular opinon rather than a law.

...UNLESS I get punished and the law giver demonstrates that objective moral laws are more than just popular opinion.

God says, My Forum. My Rules. (Thats fair isnt it?)
In that case, my answer to your question is a resounding "yes".

(22-01-2014 09:51 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  The thinking atheist in three part harmony. Thumbsup

See ya Vosur.
Don't punish me for someone else's behavior. Dodgy

How am I punishing you?
I'm doing you a favour. Otherwise you might not know I was leaving the thread.
23-01-2014, 09:53 PM
(23-01-2014 11:13 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 09:49 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  What is your opinion of this video?

I'm still waiting on Krabman's response to the video. Here is the full video from which the previous clip was taken.

Thanks for posting the video. It cleared things up a lot. After starting this thread, I realized my sources were outdated and my thoughts were a bit arbitrary. Thanks guys for all the replies as well. Some were helpful, others were debating things a bit unrelated to the initial post. But thanks anyway :3

The wise change their minds when facts and experience so demand. The fool does not hear or does not heed. (Wis 4:12-13)
- The Good Book
23-01-2014, 10:04 PM
(23-01-2014 08:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  How am I punishing you?
I'm doing you a favour. Otherwise you might not know I was leaving the thread.
Well, you're leaving the thread because of Taqiyya, not because of me, aren't you? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]