My way around religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2013, 03:12 AM
My way around religion
Well, nice to have found some forum of people who have similar thoughts. I have pretty much never believed in a God (G= JCI God) or gods, but i somehow lacked the proper vocabulary and intimate knowledge of religion to put it into words.
Stumbling over a debate with Hitchens and some poor bloke who got pretty much squished by the power of logic was quite amusing and one thing led to another and I stumbled over Thunderf00t, AronRa, DarkMatter2525 and so on, to finally end up here.

Why do i not believe? Well, i pretty much never did. Being born in a somewhat rural area of Germany, neither my mother (divorced) nor my grandparents with whom we lived were going to church and i never got baptized thanks to that. I was left to myself with that particular branch of growing up.
That changed however when it was time to go to school, as religion classes are mandatory in Germany and even part of our Basic Law, Article 7 (we still did not get around to have a constitution drawn up after WW2). Usually you can choose between catholic and evangelic and most schools also offer ethics as an alternative, which provides a kind of birds perspective over the major religions and other ethical questions.
In elementary school it thankfully was pretty much singing songs and not overly much indoctrination, so again, i got of light somehow. After 4th grade however, our system splits into 3 different branches when going to secondary school. For lack of translation, as there is none, lets say it is somewhat like normal, advanced, nerds. Back then, i went to "advanced" and made first contact with a religious zealot, who gave evangelic class, after the first lesson i signed up for ethics (with the blessing of my mother), which was kind of a bother, because it was held after school (giving the usual religion lesson free time for those who took ethics).

At the age of 14, you have the right to choose your own religion in Germany and with that comes the confirmation (for protestants) which usually nets you some nice presents and a decent wad of cash, so i reluctantly gave it a try. Made it to 3 lessons and after the third i told the priest what i thought of him and his religion. Seeing his face being talked down by a 14 year old teenager blowing holes in his "logic" - priceless. At the age of 31 now, I still can count on one hand how many times i have attended to a sermon (including my sisters marriage).
And every time i visit a church for historical reasons (Prague has some of the most incredible architecture of different styles anywhere in the world, as the city survived WW2 pretty much unscathed) there is always that nagging voice in the back of my head, reminding me of all the suffering and outright evil religion has to account for (or should at least) and how those churches were built.

In terms of Atheism, i would say Iam somewhere between Atheistism and Agnostism, meaning i do not believe in a god, but i can not know whether or not such a being could exist. However, iam pretty certain that such a being wouldn't be bothered to come down here and pass along a set of commandments, much less dictating a whole book.

Dr. Barron, your report describes how rational these people are. Millennia ago, they abandoned their belief in the supernatural.
Now you are asking me to sabotage that achievement, to send them back into the dark ages of superstition and ignorance and fear? No! - Cpt. J. L. Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 04:57 AM
RE: My way around religion
(07-06-2013 03:12 AM)Amokhunter Wrote:  Well, nice to have found some forum of people who have similar thoughts. I have pretty much never believed in a God (G= JCI God) or gods, but i somehow lacked the proper vocabulary and intimate knowledge of religion to put it into words.
Stumbling over a debate with Hitchens and some poor bloke who got pretty much squished by the power of logic was quite amusing and one thing led to another and I stumbled over Thunderf00t, AronRa, DarkMatter2525 and so on, to finally end up here.

Why do i not believe? Well, i pretty much never did. Being born in a somewhat rural area of Germany, neither my mother (divorced) nor my grandparents with whom we lived were going to church and i never got baptized thanks to that. I was left to myself with that particular branch of growing up.
That changed however when it was time to go to school, as religion classes are mandatory in Germany and even part of our Basic Law, Article 7 (we still did not get around to have a constitution drawn up after WW2). Usually you can choose between catholic and evangelic and most schools also offer ethics as an alternative, which provides a kind of birds perspective over the major religions and other ethical questions.
In elementary school it thankfully was pretty much singing songs and not overly much indoctrination, so again, i got of light somehow. After 4th grade however, our system splits into 3 different branches when going to secondary school. For lack of translation, as there is none, lets say it is somewhat like normal, advanced, nerds. Back then, i went to "advanced" and made first contact with a religious zealot, who gave evangelic class, after the first lesson i signed up for ethics (with the blessing of my mother), which was kind of a bother, because it was held after school (giving the usual religion lesson free time for those who took ethics).

At the age of 14, you have the right to choose your own religion in Germany and with that comes the confirmation (for protestants) which usually nets you some nice presents and a decent wad of cash, so i reluctantly gave it a try. Made it to 3 lessons and after the third i told the priest what i thought of him and his religion. Seeing his face being talked down by a 14 year old teenager blowing holes in his "logic" - priceless. At the age of 31 now, I still can count on one hand how many times i have attended to a sermon (including my sisters marriage).
And every time i visit a church for historical reasons (Prague has some of the most incredible architecture of different styles anywhere in the world, as the city survived WW2 pretty much unscathed) there is always that nagging voice in the back of my head, reminding me of all the suffering and outright evil religion has to account for (or should at least) and how those churches were built.

In terms of Atheism, i would say Iam somewhere between Atheistism and Agnostism, meaning i do not believe in a god, but i can not know whether or not such a being could exist. However, iam pretty certain that such a being wouldn't be bothered to come down here and pass along a set of commandments, much less dictating a whole book.

Welcome. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply