My weekend with law enforcement.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2018, 02:39 PM
RE: My weekend with law enforcement.
(06-03-2018 09:59 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Ive said it before i will say it again we need more thorough selection processes for police officers. I have a very low opinion of police and cannot recall a single time in my life when I actually needed them. So ill admit im biased.

But we need WAY more thorough training for officers and way more in depth background checks/psycholigical analyses for these poistions. Kid i went to school with became a cop on the town I grew up in and... well. Wow. Is all i can say.

Anyway glad you didnt get shot and luckily no one gave you TOO hard of a time. Sometimea trying to convince a cop youre not doing anything nefarious is akin to talking to a wall.
How familiar are you with the selection process, etc., in your town?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2018, 08:36 PM
(07-03-2018 02:39 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 09:59 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Ive said it before i will say it again we need more thorough selection processes for police officers. I have a very low opinion of police and cannot recall a single time in my life when I actually needed them. So ill admit im biased.

But we need WAY more thorough training for officers and way more in depth background checks/psycholigical analyses for these poistions. Kid i went to school with became a cop on the town I grew up in and... well. Wow. Is all i can say.

Anyway glad you didnt get shot and luckily no one gave you TOO hard of a time. Sometimea trying to convince a cop youre not doing anything nefarious is akin to talking to a wall.
How familiar are you with the selection process, etc., in your town?

Actually very familiar. Why do you ask?
Find all posts by this user
10-03-2018, 06:00 AM
(09-03-2018 08:36 PM)RBMG Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 02:39 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  How familiar are you with the selection process, etc., in your town?

Actually very familiar. Why do you ask?

I ask because most people who complain about "stupid cops" and the like have no idea how their local LEOs are chosen, trained, and monitored. There's a lot of bluster attached to this topic.
10-03-2018, 06:55 AM
My weekend with law enforcement -

One stopped by to pick up some syrup - and he brought me a few bottles of his delicious homebrewed stout.

Smile

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-03-2018, 07:34 AM
My neighbor brought his new dog and his recently retired dog over for intros. They both passed our cats' inspection so he can keep them.
10-03-2018, 11:24 AM
(07-03-2018 12:51 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 12:47 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  There is a spot in southern Illinois where I sometimes hoped to get a speeding ticket on my bicycle. There is a very steep hill leading down into a little village. Just before the bottom of the hill is a 35 mph sign. I was always at 40+ when whizzing past that sign. I would have framed my speeding ticket, had I ever got one.

I can actually beat that. There is a town in Wisconsin (Ridgeway) which is situated on top of a ridge, and as you go south out of town, you go down a steep hill -- on which the speed limit is 15 mph. You have to be grabbing your brakes pretty hard to avoid speeding there.

As it turns out, my experience with cop #1 was in a town about ten miles from Ridgeway. Blink

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-03-2018, 09:17 PM
(10-03-2018 06:00 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(09-03-2018 08:36 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Actually very familiar. Why do you ask?

I ask because most people who complain about "stupid cops" and the like have no idea how their local LEOs are chosen, trained, and monitored. There's a lot of bluster attached to this topic.
Actually, observations about how LEOs conduct themselves can give plenty of people a good idea as to whether or not the selection process is thorough. Of course these observations can't give them details about the specifics of the selection/hiring process but seeing how unprofessionally many LEOs conduct themselves, the general public can conclude that becoming a police officer is, well let's just say not that hard.

I happen to be quite familiar with the hiring process in my area because of who I know. I can back up that what goes into hiring the people who protect us is, to say the least, not enough. Their training is not enough. This is evident in many, many ways. Honestly, it's a joke.
12-03-2018, 03:47 AM
(11-03-2018 09:17 PM)RBMG Wrote:  ... Of course these observations can't give them details about the specifics of the selection/hiring process but seeing how unprofessionally many LEOs conduct themselves, the general public can conclude that becoming a police officer is, well let's just say not that hard.

Here in Australia, I've personally not once witnessed any LEO acting unprofessionally. I'd be interested in hearing of a few specific, first-hand cases of where you've witnessed unprofessional police behaviour in the US.

Is your claim that qualifying to be a police officer is "not that hard" only a personal opinion, or can you cite the specific (substandard?) requirements needed to qualify—in order to support that claim?

Quote:I happen to be quite familiar with the hiring process in my area because of who I know.

Does this then mean that you're only commenting on the professionalism of a very tiny sector of the US police forces (in my area?), rather than any meaningful, overall criticism? And how many police are there in your area?

Quote:I can back up that what goes into hiring the people who protect us is, to say the least, not enough. Their training is not enough. This is evident in many, many ways. Honestly, it's a joke.

And a few of those ways are?

—I only ask these questions because I get the feeling that you have a general dislike/distrust of the police, which may in turn skew your opinion of the majority as a professional force.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-03-2018, 07:53 AM
my takeaway with police is fairly simple:
1) I have not met too many dick cops. By a large margin they have been competent.
2) their job is to arrest criminals. Some people think they are here to help, but there are a lot of criminals out there that need arrested.
3) Every contact they make, they evaluate you to see if you are worthy of arresting. Don't kid yourself.
4) I am always polite, civil and friendly, but I and many others tend to limit our exposures due to point #3
12-03-2018, 08:23 AM
(11-03-2018 09:17 PM)RBMG Wrote:  
(10-03-2018 06:00 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I ask because most people who complain about "stupid cops" and the like have no idea how their local LEOs are chosen, trained, and monitored. There's a lot of bluster attached to this topic.
Actually, observations about how LEOs conduct themselves can give plenty of people a good idea as to whether or not the selection process is thorough. Of course these observations can't give them details about the specifics of the selection/hiring process but seeing how unprofessionally many LEOs conduct themselves, the general public can conclude that becoming a police officer is, well let's just say not that hard.

I happen to be quite familiar with the hiring process in my area because of who I know. I can back up that what goes into hiring the people who protect us is, to say the least, not enough. Their training is not enough. This is evident in many, many ways. Honestly, it's a joke.
Getting to know the cops is a start, not the end of the process.