My wife is a christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2013, 03:00 PM
My wife is a christian
I am looking for some advice. Myself and my wife only ever had a passing interest in church since we got married, however my wife has now become a chrisitian and is getting quite evangelical about it and has joined a new church plus she is talking about god all the time and reading books on god constantly. It has made me question my faith, and I have now come to the realisation that I am infact an atheist. I just don't believe in this anymore and I am comfortable with that. I am deeply worried about our marriage now and the kids. Any advice? I'm not sure what to do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2013, 03:52 PM
RE: My wife is a christian
The first question I'd have is why. Why has she all of a sudden become interested in religion? Something has happened to cause her to need what the church is selling and, while even she may not be able to recognize it immediately, if you can't find that thing and fix it, you can't stop her from being religious. Reason and logic won't work unless she seeks them out because people cannot be reasoned out of beliefs they weren't reasoned into.

I would simply talk to her and ask the question I mentioned above directly. If she doesn't know, then great, now you both have something to search for together that will enrich your marriage along with your individual lives. You should also tell her that if she finds it's something about you, you're prepared to make changes. That is, if you are... if you aren't, you should probably just recommend that she find a nice Christian attorney to file the divorce papers. Unsure
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
17-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Ok. Bit of background. My wife has had surgery on an injured arm, twice, that has not worked. This seems to have prompted the sudden embracing of religion. She is putting a lot of trust in faith healing. I just don't beleive it. She thinks if u prey enough, god will heal u! I think she has become dilusional.
[+] 1 user Likes jimbob's post
17-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Ah control.
Her doctors couldn't fix her arm so, now she's turning to religion because she's been advised that god can do anything. This just isn't so.

I think you may want to relate the facts you just related here; that her immersion in religion has caused you to discover that you are in fact, a non theist. Let her know you are concerned that she is being persuaded to believe things, which are just not true. Ask her to see a counsellor with you and if she will not, advise her that you wish to visit with her and her doctor, the next time she goes for her arm check up.

Do voice your concerns to her doctor about this. It's possible he's seen this type of reaction before... I do not think it's that uncommon. Tell him your concerns that this could begin effecting your marriage. It's triggered something in her that has told her things are beyond her control. She's looking to god for that control when she needs to look to herself.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
17-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Just to clarify... prey is what the clergyman is doing when he tells your wife to pray. Tongue

I realize what I said about reasoning people out of beliefs they weren't reasoned into and I stand by that statement. However, if that's really what it is, this might help:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

You didn't mention whether she's logical or not, so I don't know if that will be of help but if she is, then perhaps.

If not, just maintain your rational worldview and be sure you do it with a smile on your face. After all, people at the church are laughing and joking and comforting her and you can't win against that sort of predation by being smug or angry. Also, find out all you can about why her procedures failed. It might help if she understands that her injury is just too bad to respond to the treatment that was applied. It could also be that there is no known effective treatment for her injury. I'm just speculating now because I have no knowledge of the specifics...
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
17-02-2013, 05:16 PM
The one thing I can say is that her general mood has improved since she found the church. However, I am concerned about how quickly she has immersed herself in this, reading scripture everyday and she now has my daughter going to the same evangelical church Sunday school. It worries me.
17-02-2013, 05:20 PM
One other thing also. She now regularly says " I don't worry any more as god has it all planned out and he will take care of everything..." She also is reading a lot into coincidences and saying "...oh isn't that funny, that's god at work".
17-02-2013, 05:21 PM
(17-02-2013 04:42 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Just to clarify... prey is what the clergyman is doing when he tells your wife to pray. Tongue

First I was Tongue
Then I was Sadcryface
Now I'm just [Image: 078.gif]

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
17-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks Kim and everyone for your thoughts. You have confirmed my feeling that she is being manipulated by the church. It is a form of mind control. Great link bbeljefe. I'm still unsure how to bring up the fact that I have realised I'm an atheist. I don't want any big arguments about this, but I fear it could be inevitable.
[+] 1 user Likes jimbob's post
17-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Best of luck to you brother. And please, please, PLEASE don't allow your child's mind to be corrupted with this virus.
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post