My wife is a christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2013, 07:28 PM
RE: My wife is a christian
(26-03-2013 07:54 PM)Tiosylanyl Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 12:28 PM)lizzielee Wrote:  Some people claim you can have a Christian-Atheist marriage but I don't believe it's possible.

For what it's worth, I'm an Atheist married to a Christian ( and she is well aware of my non-belief). Nine years, two kids, and still going strong.

27 years, 4 kids, no problems, no issues. Everyone including the Church was well aware of my metaphysics prior to our being married in a Catholic Church in front of a priest. Just don't see why this should be an issue. It's never been one for Girly and Manly. She took the kids to Church, Dad slept in. Dad never denigrated Catholicism or any other religion but did expose the kids to different concepts of God and made sure they had basic critical thinking and reasoning skills.

The only way I can see this even being an issue is if one partner feels their metaphysics should be imposed on the other. In which case one partner is being an arrogant ego®tistical asshole in need of correction. We all make our own metaphysics (except those too weak they have to suck on the metaphysical teat of another), and that means you don't get to make mine. ... Not a problem for normal folk not obsessed with imposing their ego®tistical beliefs on others.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-03-2013, 05:34 AM
Thanks for all the good advice. We have had an initial chat. She now knows that I have lost my faith, but I stopped short of saying I'm an atheist. However, tears ensued and she said she was worried for me as I'm going to hell! There was no big argument, but at least she knows that I won't be going to church anytime soon. I said u respect her right to have a faith, so she should respect mine to not have one. I know this won't be the last time we discuss this as I know she is very uncomfortable with my lack of faith. I assured her not to worry about me and that I did not agree with her assertion that I'm going to hell. I'm not sure how this is going to play out.
[+] 2 users Like jimbob's post
30-03-2013, 07:41 AM
(30-03-2013 05:34 AM)jimbob Wrote:  she was worried for me as I'm going to hell!

man Jimbob! I had an identical reaction from my spouse years ago, but she's never mentioned it since and has never seemed upset about it lately. Perhaps because she's not so convinced anymore of this "hell" thing. I also think "love" ruled out on this one. When she thinks of me, she thinks love, peace, my coffee stains on the counter, tracking dirt in the house, painting with the kids and realizes that assuming her partner is going to a place of pain and suffering later is a horrible, irrational way to think of someone she loves. -I hope!! Smile

So I say this with hopes that your spouse, too, calms her fears naturally about where we go when we cease to exist physically. Maybe she'll let "love" rule in the end. Thanks Lenny Kravitz.

At least your thoughts are now out in the open and she's aware of them. Your honesty and being open to dialogue will hopefully lead to more understanding and cohesiveness....
[+] 2 users Like hami409's post
31-03-2013, 12:25 AM
(30-03-2013 07:41 AM)hami409 Wrote:  Maybe she'll let "love" rule in the end. Thanks Lenny Kravitz.

Girly's got this problem with dangling references, just can't help myself, they're like dingleberries. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Your wife is a Christian. Okay. It is hard for a Christian to feel good about the fact that their spouse is a non believer. (Something about yolks and eggs) You may be surprised how well it goes once the initial shock is gone. This, however, is very painful to your wife. She probably will find a support group outside to encourage her to pray for you. The Christians really do think they are doing good. She thinks your going to burn in hell, but what about people that are Jewish or Muslim? Tell her that if she thinks her God is just, then you will end up going to heaven, so she has nothing to worry about. Ask her what her questions are, and what answer she coes up with. Ask her why. Ask her to ask God what she should do about this.
Also, this may be a phase. Don't be surprised in a few years if she ends up not going. Many people new to the religion get over-excited, and "to good to be true" type attitude. I personally think there is nothing wrong with her going to church, reaching out, and making friends. She needs her freedom, as well as you. The kid thing can be tricky. I think, it is not bad for the kid to go to church, but...alas...I am not an atheist. I am still finding out who I am, but I beleive agnostic would be the correct term.
Good luck. Do not make any rash decisions. Talk it out, mabye get a marriage counsler- (not religious)

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
07-04-2013, 02:27 PM
(07-04-2013 12:48 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Your wife is a Christian. Okay. It is hard for a Christian to feel good about the fact that their spouse is a non believer. (Something about yolks and eggs) ...

Bah WiredCanine, this atheist married a good Catholic school girl some 27 years ago now, and everybody knew it, especially her. It's never been a problem. Just can't see why it should even matter? Love is love.

07-04-2013, 02:39 PM
(07-04-2013 02:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 12:48 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Your wife is a Christian. Okay. It is hard for a Christian to feel good about the fact that their spouse is a non believer. (Something about yolks and eggs) ...

Bah WiredCanine, this atheist married a good Catholic school girl some 27 years ago now, and everybody knew it, especially her. It's never been a problem. Just can't see why it should even matter? Love is love.

Yeah, but different strokes for different folks.

Not every man has a ManlyGirl to keep him happy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
(07-04-2013 02:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 02:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bah WiredCanine, this atheist married a good Catholic school girl some 27 years ago now, and everybody knew it, especially her. It's never been a problem. Just can't see why it should even matter? Love is love.

Every man should. Tongue

07-04-2013, 03:20 PM
you offering ?

Bechased
08-04-2013, 12:01 AM
(07-04-2013 02:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 02:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bah WiredCanine, this atheist married a good Catholic school girl some 27 years ago now, and everybody knew it, especially her. It's never been a problem. Just can't see why it should even matter? Love is love.

What does some twenty seven mean? BB and the Green Eyed Butterfly just had our twenty seventh on April the fourth.

That's me and my bitch or, Dottie and her asshole husband, btw.... but I wanted to talk about us in the third person so Girlyman would get it. Big Grin

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post