My wife is about to start reading the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2015, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 07:28 PM by Rkane819.)
My wife is about to start reading the Bible
I posted on here a few weeks ago about my wife getting baptized into a non denominational Christian church. Thanks to all of you who replied, it was all very helpful. One of my issues was that she had not read the bible before making this decision. Well thats about to change.

Here is what I'd like feedback on this time: I believe she is reading the NIV version, has a bible study guide and will likely be discussing this with her friends, co workers that are believers and pastors at the church who will always take the side that the bible is right, we just need to work out how each parable/rule applies to our life, god works in mysterious ways, yada yada (especially the new testament).

She likely won't ask my opinion too often since she knows my thoughts and unbelief. How would any of you handle this situation? Is there a way to bring up the subject of faith in the bible in a nonjudgmental way? It was reading the bible that started me on my unbelief in the first place after all.

I want her to think critically, but I don't want to be pushy or sound too negative because she will dig in her heels more. Any thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2015, 06:35 PM
RE: My wife is about to start reading the Bible
(11-05-2015 06:24 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  I posted on here a few weeks ago about my wife getting baptized into a non denominational Christian church. Thanks to all of you who replied, it was all very helpful. One of my issues was that she had not read the bible before making this decision. Well thats about to change.

Here is what I'd like feedback on this time: I believe she is reading the NIV version, has a bible study guide and will likely be discussing this with her friends, co workers that are believers and pastors at the church who will always take the side that the bible is right, we just need to work out how each parable/rule applies to our life, god works in mysterious ways, yada yada (especially the new testament).

She likely won't ask my opinion too often since she knows my thoughts and unbelief. How would any of you handle this situation? Is there a way to bring up the subject of faith in the bible in a nonjudgmental way? It was reading the bible that started me on my unbelief in the first place after all.

I want her to think critically, but I don't want to be pushy or sound too negative because she will dig in her heels more. Is it wrong for me to want a specific outcome in the first place and I just need to accept that she is likely the type of person who needs to believe in something to give her life comfort? Any thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The NIV is definitely an easier one to read, imo. I wouldn't push her into debates before she is ready. In my opinion, I think its best if her reading of the Bible is an organic process--something that comes naturally and isn't forced. It might be nice to let her know that you are there for her to bounce things off of if she needs to. Giving her the space and time to absorb the Bible at her own pace and without distraction--is the best thing you can do for her.
11-05-2015, 06:48 PM
(11-05-2015 06:24 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Here is what I'd like feedback on this time: I believe she is reading the NIV version, ... How would any of you handle this situation?

I'd get her a copy of the Red Letter Version and tell her to stick to the Red Letters and ignore the background peanut gallery noise which is nothing but a distraction.

(11-05-2015 06:24 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Is it wrong for me to want a specific outcome in the first place ...

Dafuq kinda question is that? What do you think?

(11-05-2015 06:24 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  and I just need to accept that she is likely the type of person who needs to believe in something to give her life comfort?

That ain't your call. It's hers. If it bothers you, you might want to consider why.

#sigh
11-05-2015, 06:57 PM
you could "gift" her the Skeptics Annotated Bible, because you want her to have all of the information, not just sugar coating and being manipulated.

Her friends will give one version, you have a counter version, and let her decide what is right.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
11-05-2015, 07:14 PM
(11-05-2015 06:57 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  you could "gift" her the Skeptics Annotated Bible, because you want her to have all of the information, not just sugar coating and being manipulated.

Her friends will give one version, you have a counter version, and let her decide what is right.

I like that idea! I also think gifting her Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Literary and Historic Introduction would be nice as well--that way she has a scholarly perspective.
12-05-2015, 10:34 AM
(11-05-2015 07:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 06:57 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  you could "gift" her the Skeptics Annotated Bible, because you want her to have all of the information, not just sugar coating and being manipulated.

I like that idea! I also think gifting her Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Literary and Historic Introduction would be nice as well--that way she has a scholarly perspective.

^^^^^^^
Second both of these.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
12-05-2015, 11:03 AM
I would also keep in my that she might go thru all the motions with her friends, but if there are doubts, they usually cant be ignored for long.

many people here doubted as a kid, but went thru the motions, over the years those questions still lingered, when they really looked for answers, they find themselves here.

I just want you to know that this might be a long haul. You need to prepare and be ok with that.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-05-2015, 01:42 PM
After she has read the first 6 pages or so you might find it beneficial to discuss the place of men and women in the pecking order according to God.

"To the woman he said, 'I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.' "

"Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. "

If your wife is to become a true Christian then you may find some benefits right there.

But.... You'd think given this shit that men would flock to religion and women would run from it, however given the demographic stats women are more likely to be religious.

Personally I'd approach it in a non aggressive way. I'd suggest to her that I've heard that the bible is a bit sexist and degrading of women. But I'd leave it at that. Let that be a seed that she will evaluate stuff in her endeavours to read the Bible because she will be keen to prove you wrong.
12-05-2015, 02:07 PM
I would consider getting her The Pre-Nicene NT from Robert M Price. She will get a view that is much closer to the earlier textual translations and a good dose of textual criticism that will induce logic into the interpreted scriptures.

If she balances reason with her reading she is likely to weigh matters more carefully. However, church bible studies and bible read-throughs won't necessarily bring reason to the surface unless they are specifically addressing alleged contradictions or historical data and even then the logic they claim to usher in sounds more like apologetics and harmonizations.

Someone else mentioned the Skeptics Annotated Bible and I highly recommend that as it has helped me when I listen to a message. I came from a fundie background and still attend church with my wife even though I am not a believer anymore. It actually helps challenge myself by finding acceptable / reasonable words coming from the pastor and also refuting false premises and logical fallacies. Believe me the former is far less likely although from time to time it does occur.

**Crickets** -- God
12-05-2015, 02:32 PM

[Image: tumblr_n71gt17uk91trbh6do1_400.gif]

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."