My wife is going to get baptized.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2015, 08:44 AM
RE: My wife is going to get baptized.
Wow, thanks for all the great responses so far. I appreciate the feedback and advice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2015, 09:02 AM
My wife is going to get baptized.
First comes the baptism then comes the tithing. Hope you don't have a joint account because your money is about to sucked up by the church.
27-04-2015, 09:33 AM
My suggestions: Lay out the boundaries NOW!!! You do need to discuss her intentions with your child and come to an agreement. For my wife and I, it was that she can take them with her and I won't interfere but I will not lie to reinforce the beliefs. I also said that if the day comes when any of my sons tell me that I am going to hell, that will be the last day they will ever see the inside of a church in our house. Second, I would recommend reading the books with her and discussing it. At the very least, you may see where she is coming from even though you may not agree. Just don't ever stop loving her.

(26-04-2015 08:33 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  -We've discussed the topic of religion only a few times prior.
I also made this mistake that we didn't discuss this more thoroughly in our dating but at the time, I wasn't an atheist.

(26-04-2015 08:33 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  -She's been reading apologetics booked lately and is currently reading one by Lee Strobell.

This guy is a clown who does not have any idea about the topics he criticizes. I also recommend "the case for christ" as it is a pretty terrible book. It basically is a massive strawman.

(26-04-2015 08:33 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  -She has not read the bible.

That is basically par for the course.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
27-04-2015, 02:12 PM
My approach would be:

-Express my feelings as: "You are your own person and I can't tell you what to think. As you know I don't agree with the claims of Christianity. If you want to know why, you can ask. My strongest thoughts are if you really think that Christianity is true, you must accept that the bible is the source. And if you are going to devote yourself to a religion, should you not first read and accept the source?"
(Side note: if she did read the bible and became a full on fundamentalist, I would probably be forced to end the relationship).

-Lay out ground rules about the kid's upbringing. For me, my unbreakable ground rule is no indoctrination. Pretty much no church visits while the child is too impressionable to make an informed decision. Once the kid is old enough, the kid can decide to take interest. Again this is just what I would do.

-I would try to talk to her about what exactly she believes and why.

This is tough, but only you can feel your way through this.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
27-04-2015, 02:21 PM
You say she hasn't read the Bible. Read the Bible to her and ask her to justify all the killing, rape, baby bashing and mutilation that goes on.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Keep communicating with her about her thoughts and reasons she is seeking to find solace outside her self. You did say she was depressed following the birth of her child and that may have been a trigger for some deeply repressed issue or fear (or possible delusion). If she is simply looking for socialization and comfort, cool... however, if she's looking to confirm some vague delusion... not cool.

Keep alert to further changes and possibly speak with a psychotherapist, if you feel uncomfortable about her behavior.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-04-2015, 05:51 PM
I am puzzled by your reference "progressive Christian church". I am curious as to what makes it progressive.
27-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Quick update: I started a conversation with her today and though it was rocky at times we ended on good terms at the end. She is still planning on being baptized this Sunday but at least we have a more open dialogue for the future.

You guys will love this though; when I asked her if she's read the bible yet she said no, except for the verses the church displays on the monitor during service!

It's still an uphill battle but at least we are talking about it. Thanks again for of your advice.
[+] 1 user Likes Rkane819's post
27-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Will there be food? And joyous naked dancing under the full moon? And more food? What's the problem?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-04-2015, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2015 07:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-04-2015 06:13 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  You guys will love this though; when I asked her if she's read the bible yet she said no, except for the verses the church displays on the monitor during service!

All I read anymore is the Red Letters. The rest is just bullshit interpretations from the peanut gallery I dismissed long ago. The Red Letters are the only words worth reading in the entire goddam book. And there ain't one goddam thing novel or new about them Red Letters to warrant a new religion. Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus