My wife is going to get baptized.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: My wife is going to get baptized.
(27-04-2015 02:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You say she hasn't read the Bible. Read the Bible to her and ask her to justify all the killing, rape, baby bashing and mutilation that goes on.

This will only work if you read it in the original KJV.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2015, 11:00 AM
You might be interested in reading A Manual For Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian. I haven't read it yet, but he was on the TTA podcast and it was really helpful for how to talk to people and ask good questions. I'm definitely going to get a copy (at some point Tongue)

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
04-05-2015, 02:56 PM
(26-04-2015 08:33 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  I'll give you the facts in quick bullet points.

-I'm an atheist

-My wife started attending A very progressive christian church several months ago.

-She has decided she wants to be baptized by said church

-She did not grow up religious

-We've been together 8 years and she did not express religious beliefs for the first 7 years we were together.

-She works for a Christian company

-We have a 1 year old son

-We've discussed the topic of religion only a few times prior.

-She's been reading apologetics booked lately and is currently reading one by Lee Strobell.

-She has not read the bible.

My issue isn't so much with the actual baptism (although maybe it should be) but what it stands for and the fact that she hasn't read the bible makes me think she hasn't done her due diligence on the christian faith. My fear is that she will become more and more involved in the church and start passing these beliefs onto our son and more and more religious stuff will start creeping into our lives.

When she mentioned she was going to be baptized it was more as a statement not as a point of discussion. Our relationship is great and both of us generally keep our beliefs to ourselves. She suffered some pretty bad post partum depression and has been noticeably happier since attending church so maybe I shouldn't be complaining but there is still a nagging voice in the back of my head that shouts "How can an adult hear the story of Jesus and think it's true?! How?!"

So my question I guess is would you let this go because everything else is good? Should I try and talk her out of it? Am I being ridiculous posting this in the first place?

I realize my situation pales in comparison to what other atheists endure with their families but I'm struggling with how to proceed. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I understand your problem. Religions do not teach the Bible. They teach some of it, just enough to set the hook. On major Bible doctrines, they lie. Any comment I make on this post is not to defend, or say the Bible is true. I am a Christian, and have been teaching scripture for over 50 years...so I'm not walking in the dark. I always warn people to stay away from religions...they are false, and it is very easy to prove it.
Don't resist the direction your wife wants to go, it will just make a crack in your marriage. I would buy two bibles, and join with her in learning the bible. Go to church with her. Do it in a good spirit. The things you learn in the church, you and your wife, when you have your personal bible study(maybe 1 hour a week) check those things out. most bibles are about the same. The best bible for study is the New World Translation used by the Jehovah's Witnesses. That bible has a great section in the back where you can find scriptures by subject. But take warning, do not get into that cult either...just use their bible.
This may take you a year. The more she reads the bible, the more she will see the religion is false. Let her get baptized. She's not getting baptized into the religion. It is just an outward sign she believes in God. Get a copy of what they say when they baptize people. If they say anything about becoming a member of that religion, I would ask her to shy away from it. After she is baptized, taker her out to dinner...show her you respect her as a person.
These religions destroy good people. When they find out the religions are false, it can take them years to recover...just be cool. Play it smart. Any help you need along the way, my email is open to all.
Domenic