My wife says I'm dyslexic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 09:31 AM
My wife says I'm dyslexic
So my wife was talking to a guy who claimed he was dyslexic. He told her a bunch of symptoms and she said "my husband has those problems."
She came home and told me that she thinks I'm dyslexic.
I said I don't see letters backwards.
She pointed out how I'm a slow reader, she reminded me that I sometimes see words and letters that aren't there and miss ones that are. I have difficulty with spelling and telling the difference between left and right.
So I looked it up and it seems these are symptoms. But I don't see letters backward. Does that make a difference I wonder?
Doe anyone else here have these problems?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2014, 10:04 AM
RE: My wife says I'm dyslexic
I'm dyslexic and I've never seen letters backwards. Shy

Most mild dyslexics compensate and train themselves into adulthood. If it effects you drastically you might want to get help.

Brain therapy helped me with a few nagging problems. I call it brain therapy but it's actually called neurotherapy or neurofeedback.

Psychologists and therapists have used it for a variety of neurological issues with positive results. The therapy kind of evens out your jumpy brain waves so they don't skip your eyeballs all over the page... among other things. The results are accumulative and really don't start kicking in until after about a dozen sessions. They hook you up with electrodes on your head and you play a video game using only your brain.

It's interesting, if nothing else. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-05-2014, 10:46 AM
I recently took a course on dyslexia and the point they kept stressing was that dyslexia's main characteristic is that it is different in every single person. You can have dyslexia and have completely different problems than other people who have it too.

So, yeah, you may have it, symptoms are different for everyone. In order to be diagnosed, though, you need to do some tests.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
05-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Thanks.Smile
05-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Testing is worth it, I wish they did screenings for every kid in school like they do for vision, speech and hearing.

Testing provides that bit of info that, if you knew, you could learn techniques to over come or compensate, rather than just plodding along and struggling.

For example- some people learn best by watching, some by listening to instructions, some by doing, if you knew (preferably at a young age) which way worked best for you - you might perform much better and be more successful.

There's a bunch of different things they can test for, dyslexia, dysgraphia, processing speed, etc.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-05-2014, 06:18 AM
My sister says I'm a retard, doesn't mean potato.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
05-05-2014, 11:54 AM
(05-05-2014 06:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  My sister says I'm a retard, doesn't mean potato.

I like potatoes....
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
05-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Can't really contribute anything to diagnosing dyslectics; my brother was diagnosed with mild dyslexia in the 90's but it didn't show in him in any way I could tell, whether at school or in real life.

But the topic reminded me of Like Stars on Earth, a fantastic Indian movie that received world wide recognition a few years back. The story's about a dyslectic boy and his struggle to get along in the world. Very emotional and moving, no fancy dragons though. Well worth the watch:

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
05-05-2014, 01:44 PM
I am diagnosed dyslexic. I mix up things in writing, reading and speech, but my letters have never flipped (more mixed to another spot). I will say embarrassing things like 'testicle' instead of 'tentacle' or flip the word and say pom instead of mop. I have to proof everything I write a few times or there are errors aplenty.

If you get tested and this is the case, you can work at gaining some new shiny skills to help, or it's just good to be aware of because sometimes (for me) communication is so difficult and frustrating, especially when you say or converse something you completely didn't mean and realize it after.

Also, being tired or stressed can cause it to 'flare up'.

Also, yes... I am a slow reader because of it. Not a slow learner, or slow to get a concept (usually Tongue) ... but I have to make sure I didn't miss the details.
05-05-2014, 01:49 PM
(04-05-2014 10:46 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I recently took a course on dyslexia and the point they kept stressing was that dyslexia's main characteristic is that it is different in every single person. You can have dyslexia and have completely different problems than other people who have it too.

So, yeah, you may have it, symptoms are different for everyone. In order to be diagnosed, though, you need to do some tests.

This!

I have dyslexia as well, but have never seen letters backwards. I get words mixed up in speech and reading often (I have symptoms similar to LJ's) and struggle telling left from right (I still sometimes use the old thumb trick that 5yro's use).

I think dyslexia is more common than people think. It isn't necessarily a bad thing either, just an irritation. People will struggle with different buckets of shit. Dyslexia just happens to be extremely annoying.