My worst nightmare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2016, 06:18 PM
My worst nightmare
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/brit...e23269433/

Quote:Margot Bentley has not spoken since 2010. The 83-year-old is in the final stage of Alzheimer’s and does not appear to recognize family members, or anyone else. She spends her days slumped in a chair or bed with her eyes closed, according to court documents.

Ms. Bentley has been at Maplewood House, a care home in Abbotsford, B.C., since 2009. Care-home staff wake, dress and feed her.

Her daughter and husband have argued she signed a “statement of wishes” – or living will – that said she should be allowed to die if she suffered from an extreme disability with no expectation of recovery. They said the document, signed in 1991, stated she should not be provided with nourishment or liquids in such a scenario. The family has said the care home is spoon-feeding Ms. Bentley without her consent, which constitutes battery.

The judge ruled that she can still control her food intake by opening her mouth. That is a childhood reflex. This sucks, if one can't decide about one's own life, one has no freedom at all. Living wills are supposed to protect against such things.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-09-2016, 06:32 PM
RE: My worst nightmare
(19-09-2016 06:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/brit...e23269433/

Quote:Margot Bentley has not spoken since 2010. The 83-year-old is in the final stage of Alzheimer’s and does not appear to recognize family members, or anyone else. She spends her days slumped in a chair or bed with her eyes closed, according to court documents.

Ms. Bentley has been at Maplewood House, a care home in Abbotsford, B.C., since 2009. Care-home staff wake, dress and feed her.

Her daughter and husband have argued she signed a “statement of wishes” – or living will – that said she should be allowed to die if she suffered from an extreme disability with no expectation of recovery. They said the document, signed in 1991, stated she should not be provided with nourishment or liquids in such a scenario. The family has said the care home is spoon-feeding Ms. Bentley without her consent, which constitutes battery.

The judge ruled that she can still control her food intake by opening her mouth. That is a childhood reflex. This sucks, if one can't decide about one's own life, one has no freedom at all. Living wills are supposed to protect against such things.
I wouldn't think starving one's self to death would be very pleasant. Controlled Euthanasia would be much better. If I were in this state, that is what I would want.
Sometimes, I think, us people live too long.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
19-09-2016, 06:34 PM
We have laws against cruel and unusual punishments, and laws against torture.

I believe there is a point at which continued "care" rises to the level of state sanctioned torture, and I don't think that I am being hyperbolic when I say that.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 5 users Like unsapien's post
19-09-2016, 06:43 PM
I live in a state that has a "death with dignity" law, so I am lucky. But that isn't always helpful.

I always thought, just in case one has, for instance, a stroke that renders one unable to stand up for one's own cause, a "living will" and a "do not resuscitate" would take care of it.

Apparently not.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-09-2016, 07:41 AM
(19-09-2016 06:32 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 06:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/brit...e23269433/

I wouldn't think starving one's self to death would be very pleasant. Controlled Euthanasia would be much better. If I were in this state, that is what I would want.
Sometimes, I think, us people live too long.

Starving - it depends. I watched my husband almost starve to death while battling cancer. First he was too nauseous to eat - just the smell of food at a distance would make him gag. Then that stopped but he just could not make himself eat. He was going to peacefully die from starvation, he was long past being hungry. He was in good spirits. He was so starved that he was literally skin and bones - if you could call that skin, it was like parchment. Apparently starvation ends up being some sort of euphoria, at least it did in his case. (And no, no pain meds for him, he hated them)

Just as an aside - I put an end to his starvation by pulling him out of the hospital, transporting him home by ambulance and medicating him with sublingual cannabis. And voila - appetite restored, weight gained, hubby walking around like nothing ever happened. Unfortunately cancer almost always wins eventually.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-09-2016, 07:53 AM

We all should leave instructions.

Yesterday I spent time with one of my wife’s relatives, a woman I had known to be regal, gracious and full of wit. Six years ago she suffered a stroke and for days she laid alone in her house before she was found.

She appears to understand what we say but she can only blurt out what sounds like, “wada, wada, wada”. She has lost the use of her right arm and must be cared for 24/7. I don’t want to live like that and I don’t want to be a burden to my family in that way.

I have papers that state DNR, but how do you specify for all eventualities?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-09-2016, 08:22 AM
(20-09-2016 07:53 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

We all should leave instructions.

Yesterday I spent time with one of my wife’s relatives, a woman I had known to be regal, gracious and full of wit. Six years ago she suffered a stroke and for days she laid alone in her house before she was found.

She appears to understand what we say but she can only blurt out what sounds like, “wada, wada, wada”. She has lost the use of her right arm and must be cared for 24/7. I don’t want to live like that and I don’t want to be a burden to my family in that way.

I have papers that state DNR, but how do you specify for all eventualities?

There are two papers needed - the DNR and the living will. The living will goes into details. You need both though, even though the living will appears to include all the DNR info..

20-09-2016, 03:16 PM
I don't know how it is where all of you live, but in the US we have the most bizzare double standard...

A person can be arrested and charged with a fairly serious crime if he allows an animal in his care to linger in pain and does not have that animal put "Humanely" to sleep.

A person can be arrested and charged with murder in the first degree if he does euthanize a PERSON who is in severe pain... and he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Where in the hell is the logic?
[+] 4 users Like The Dark One's post
20-09-2016, 05:29 PM
(20-09-2016 03:16 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I don't know how it is where all of you live, but in the US we have the most bizzare double standard...

A person can be arrested and charged with a fairly serious crime if he allows an animal in his care to linger in pain and does not have that animal put "Humanely" to sleep.

A person can be arrested and charged with murder in the first degree if he does euthanize a PERSON who is in severe pain... and he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Where in the hell is the logic?

And one can be forcibly prevented from ending one's own pain and suffering; prevented by others who have no right to do so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-09-2016, 05:44 PM
(20-09-2016 07:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  Just as an aside - I put an end to his starvation by pulling him out of the hospital, transporting him home by ambulance and medicating him with sublingual cannabis. And voila - appetite restored, weight gained, hubby walking around like nothing ever happened.
You gave him the munchies, that was great lateral thinking.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post