My worst nightmare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2016, 04:35 PM
RE: My worst nightmare
(30-05-2016 04:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 03:59 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The older I get the less actual contact I want with people. By the time I am 'old enough' to be put in a home they would be better off to cut me loose on an ice floe. Undecided

Yep, and the less tolerance I have for bullshit, too. And the less inhibitions I have to say so.

What's the female version of grumpy old man? That's what I am turning into. I just don't want to deal with all of the BS.

I'd probably be an old folk's home worst nightmare and trouble maker.

Haha!
During my dad's last years he was in a rehab/nursing home first. They taught him how to walk again after a stroke.

A day or two after his release was when his car accident happened. He had to go back to a care facility. He and his lady friend decided on a place that was right down the road from his house...mostly selected for convenience sake.

I don't think he lasted two days before they threw him out and he ended up back at the other place.

This quite Christian place couldn't deal with dad's grumpiness, but I think the straw that broke that camel's back was the fact that he could not utter a sentence without a swear word.

That's a call you don't expect...your father has been kicked out of a nursing home for bad behavior. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
30-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Lightbulb RE: My worst nightmare
(30-05-2016 04:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 04:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yep, and the less tolerance I have for bullshit, too. And the less inhibitions I have to say so.

What's the female version of grumpy old man? That's what I am turning into. I just don't want to deal with all of the BS.

Haha!
During my dad's last years he was in a rehab/nursing home first. They taught him how to walk again after a stroke.

A day or two after his release was when his car accident happened. He had to go back to a care facility. He and his lady friend decided on a place that was right down the road from his house...mostly selected for convenience sake.

I don't think he lasted two days before they threw him out and he ended up back at the other place.

This quite Christian place couldn't deal with dad's grumpiness, but I think the straw that broke that camel's back was the fact that he could not utter a sentence without a swear word.

That's a call you don't expect...your father has been kicked out of a nursing home for bad behavior. Facepalm

My daughter's worst nightmare, change that father to mother. And with good reason. I have few filters now, can you imagine what I'll be like if I'm 80. Laugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
30-05-2016, 07:16 PM
My wife and I touched on this on the way home today. She said we'd check in to an assisted care together.
If it were so easy eh?
We kept her mom and dad in their home to the end, and my mom lived with my sister. It was not easy with her mother, she had breast cancer that got into the bones, and required a large amount of daily care over and above the home health nurse visits. She suffered for 10 years and it was hard on all of us, my wife and her father in particular. I would not wish that responsibility on anybody's children or spouse.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
30-05-2016, 07:32 PM
I've told the long version of the story here within the past 30 days of my friend Bob who fell dead walking on the beach here in the Dominican Republic and resting on a log with a pretty girl on each side of him, and that as I said then is how I hope to make my exit.
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
30-05-2016, 07:33 PM
(30-05-2016 07:16 PM)skyking Wrote:  My wife and I touched on this on the way home today. She said we'd check in to an assisted care together.
If it were so easy eh?
We kept her mom and dad in their home to the end, and my mom lived with my sister. It was not easy with her mother, she had breast cancer that got into the bones, and required a large amount of daily care over and above the home health nurse visits. She suffered for 10 years and it was hard on all of us, my wife and her father in particular. I would not wish that responsibility on anybody's children or spouse.

Yep, plus I don't plan on suffering for 10 years. Those would be 10 years I can do without.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
30-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Assisted living facilities come in all forms. I knew a lady in Biloxi MS who was in one and she did her own cooking and everything and anyone living there could as long as they wished to do so and could. Same with laundry etc... Sitting on the patio in the evening was permitted, but no beer outside, only in one's personal apartment.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
30-05-2016, 07:37 PM
(30-05-2016 04:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 04:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yep, and the less tolerance I have for bullshit, too. And the less inhibitions I have to say so.

Haha!

The same thing happened to my brother, they transferred him to an "All male facility" Because he'd tell the female nurses to show him their tits etc.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
30-05-2016, 07:44 PM
(30-05-2016 07:35 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Assisted living facilities come in all forms. I knew a lady in Biloxi MS who was in one and she did her own cooking and everything and anyone living there could as long as they wished to do so and could. Same with laundry etc... Sitting on the patio in the evening was permitted, but no beer outside, only in one's personal apartment.

Well, that's out then - in the morning you'll find me on the patio with coffee, and in the evening with beer or wine. And a joint. With my dogs. Two of the most enjoyable times of my day. Smokin

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Hi guys.

I just got home from assisted living over the course of another 8 days in hospital yesterday. I have been asleep ever since. I am still a bit out of it, being early morning here and having just awoken.

However if you don't mind, I will take a shot at my view.

I have now spent in excess of 11 months in hospital. I believe it is 11 months and 2 weeks all up. Mine was not an aged care facility but a regular public hospital. I do not enjoy it, but am quite used to it.

Sadly I will likely die in a hospital. I will probably succumb to a viral disease and my body will give out. Or I will have a serious fall at home and die from that or be taken by ambulance to hospital and die there.

Often there is no choice. Life and death simply happen to us and the luxury of saying "I want this" or "that" does not exist.

The worst thing about long term stays in hospital is the food, uncomfortable bedding, being at the mercy of others and losing one's decision making choices. The doctors will do as they think best regardless. For example I have issues with "Pain teams" who do not listen. "They've tried that drug on me and it doesn't work!"

They then prescribe it anyway. Sadcryface2

I had the experience as many know of nursing mum through MS. I did my best to keep her from being institutionalised. However it nearly killed me as a young man. I would have the great experience of being on TV and then returning home to a household that reeked of illness. That's right. Serious illness smells.

So even those great experiences were ruined.

I had thought to myself years ago if ever I get a serious illness I will kill myself. I then got an extremely serious illness and decided to fight it. So I was given 8 weeks to live in Sept' 14, asked if I wanted to fight it, I did and and remain alive. However since that time there has been 11+ months in hospital, great suffering, madness, a host of invasive tests (34 lumbar punctures and 30+ bone marrow biopsies), Then recently 3 viruses at once! 6 times spent in isolation and 3 weeks in the ICU.

Is it worth it to stay alive? I tend to think so.

The typical old aged care facility does not appear very attractive. This is a given. However compared to 11 months on a cancer ward, it seems rather pleasant and easy. Of course I have only experienced the one type.

There are many ugly ways to die. For example, a 46 year old woman was taken by a saltwater crocodile here in Australia a few days ago. Lung cancer is just shocking!

We don't often get the choice. Good luck to those who do.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
31-05-2016, 05:08 PM
(31-05-2016 04:51 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi guys.

I just got home from assisted living over the course of another 8 days in hospital yesterday. I have been asleep ever since. I am still a bit out of it, being early morning here and having just awoken.

However if you don't mind, I will take a shot at my view.

I have now spent in excess of 11 months in hospital. I believe it is 11 months and 2 weeks all up. Mine was not an aged care facility but a regular public hospital. I do not enjoy it, but am quite used to it.

Sadly I will likely die in a hospital. I will probably succumb to a viral disease and my body will give out. Or I will have a serious fall at home and die from that or be taken by ambulance to hospital and die there.

Often there is no choice. Life and death simply happen to us and the luxury of saying "I want this" or "that" does not exist.

The worst thing about long term stays in hospital is the food, uncomfortable bedding, being at the mercy of others and losing one's decision making choices. The doctors will do as they think best regardless. For example I have issues with "Pain teams" who do not listen. "They've tried that drug on me and it doesn't work!"

They then prescribe it anyway. Sadcryface2

I had the experience as many know of nursing mum through MS. I did my best to keep her from being institutionalised. However it nearly killed me as a young man. I would have the great experience of being on TV and then returning home to a household that reeked of illness. That's right. Serious illness smells.

So even those great experiences were ruined.

I had thought to myself years ago if ever I get a serious illness I will kill myself. I then got an extremely serious illness and decided to fight it. So I was given 8 weeks to live in Sept' 14, asked if I wanted to fight it, I did and and remain alive. However since that time there has been 11+ months in hospital, great suffering, madness, a host of invasive tests (34 lumbar punctures and 30+ bone marrow biopsies), Then recently 3 viruses at once! 6 times spent in isolation and 3 weeks in the ICU.

Is it worth it to stay alive? I tend to think so.

The typical old aged care facility does not appear very attractive. This is a given. However compared to 11 months on a cancer ward, it seems rather pleasant and easy. Of course I have only experienced the one type.

There are many ugly ways to die. For example, a 46 year old woman was taken by a saltwater crocodile here in Australia a few days ago. Lung cancer is just shocking!

We don't often get the choice. Good luck to those who do.

I think the big difference here is hope. You can and should hope to recover fully and live many more years. When your fighting succeeds, you will have so many things to enjoy.

For the old, nothing can get better and everything tends to get worse. There is no cure for dying of old age. And, they know for a fact that their time is numbered. They don't have hope for the future, just the present. The present becomes the important thing then.

But you, you are probably the strongest person I know. There is plenty of good reason to think that you will barrel your way through this and end up healed with a bright future. For you, there is tons of hope.