My xmas gift

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2013, 08:23 PM
RE: My xmas gift
PC + Steam + $10 games = endless cheap entertainment.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2013, 02:17 AM
If you get a console I also recommend the WiiU. There are also great Wii Games which will play on the Wii U. Other good self gifts are ultra expensive/nice kitchen appliances (I spent 2 years *planning* to buy my rice cooker, then finally did it as a gift to myself). Also you can get a kotatsu, a neat Japanese heated table Thumbsup

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
27-12-2013, 06:12 AM
(26-12-2013 08:09 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  For a gaming console, the wiiU is a good suggestion. The xbox has the kinect though, which I love.

What's a kinect?

(26-12-2013 08:23 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  PC + Steam + $10 games = endless cheap entertainment.

What's a steam?

Thanks, guys, for the lessons. You can't find this stuff explained properly online, at least I haven't found it. I bet a website that explains all this stuff to totally ignorant people and sells the systems onsite would make good money. I bet there is a huge population out there who didn't grow up with this stuff and is old enough to retire and looking for entertainment at home. And, while they would need simpler games to warm up, don't think they don't end up playing the same stuff you do after a time.

There's a money making idea for you, Muffs. You wouldn't actually have to ship the stuff, you'd become an affiliate of the game companies or distributors, one of them godawful publishers, but a "bottom feeder" targeting a different type of customer, a new niche. Success online is all about filling niches.

All you have to do is write all the explanations from scratch. When I look for reviews I find them, but they are peppered with terms I don't know. Then you can review the games for dummies. You could grow it into a huge site I bet, making very nice money.

But I digress....and if I keep at it I'll talk myself into starting the site myself. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-12-2013, 07:52 AM
(27-12-2013 06:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 08:09 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  For a gaming console, the wiiU is a good suggestion. The xbox has the kinect though, which I love.

What's a kinect?

(26-12-2013 08:23 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  PC + Steam + $10 games = endless cheap entertainment.

What's a steam?

A Kinect is a motion based add-on for the XBone that in theory tracks your body and uses you as a controller. In practice it doesn't work. Kinect is horrible and everyone hates it.

Steam is the brainchild of a Video Game company called Valve it is a digital distribution network. It is entirely digital (no-hard/physical copies are sold) everything is just streamed to your PC and is usually at a discount because of the low overhead and direct distribution. It is most known for it's seasonal (summer and winter) Sales event when games are sold at huge discounts 75% off up to some that are give away for free. Tons of small "indie" gaming studios use steam to release their work to a wider audience and there are some projects on there that you can support when they are in alpha or beta stages to help get them all the way to fully finished.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-12-2013, 08:17 AM
(27-12-2013 07:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 06:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  What's a kinect?

What's a steam?

A Kinect is a motion based add-on for the XBone that in theory tracks your body and uses you as a controller. In practice it doesn't work. Kinect is horrible and everyone hates it.

Steam is the brainchild of a Video Game company called Valve it is a digital distribution network. It is entirely digital (no-hard/physical copies are sold) everything is just streamed to your PC and is usually at a discount because of the low overhead and direct distribution. It is most known for it's seasonal (summer and winter) Sales event when games are sold at huge discounts 75% off up to some that are give away for free. Tons of small "indie" gaming studios use steam to release their work to a wider audience and there are some projects on there that you can support when they are in alpha or beta stages to help get them all the way to fully finished.

Thanks. Smile

Steam sounds great, I always like business upstarts, some suck and some tend to be super talented. I'll go check that out first, maybe get my bearings that way. See what I like and what I don't without committing to anything yet...

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-12-2013, 12:22 PM
I got my friend an iPad and it's pretty cool. I think I need one too.
It's a very nice little ma-chine.
He's more challenged "technologically" than I am. He's been talking to
"Siri" or whoever the voice is inside it, asking how to set up things.
He was asking "Am I awesome ?", "Am I the best doc on the planet ?"
"Do I know more shit than Bucky ?" and stuff like that yesterday.
Her replies were hilarious.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Combine your ideas. Get a gaming PC Smile
27-12-2013, 12:51 PM
(27-12-2013 12:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I got my friend an iPad and it's pretty cool. I think I need one too.
It's a very nice little ma-chine.
He's more challenged "technologically" than I am. He's been talking to
"Siri" or whoever the voice is inside it, asking how to set up things.
He was asking "Am I awesome ?", "Am I the best doc on the planet ?"
"Do I know more shit than Bucky ?" and stuff like that yesterday.
Her replies were hilarious.

I have an ipad but it's a couple years old now... got a one year old kindle fire too... I am just not so happy with small screens. I use these when I am out and about and waiting my turn for this or that. I do use the kindle for reading a lot.

But for gaming, I would like a big ass screen I can really immerse myself in....

27-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah, you need a 12 year old gamer to take shopping with you.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't recommend steam for new gamers. Sure it is cheaper, but the selection is too huge, and so much of it is independent work that is hard to rate in terms of target audience and game quality. Steam is great for anybody who already has gaming as a hobby.

Not to mention Mouse+Keyboard gaming is usually much more technical and uncomfortable compared to controller gaming.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.