My xmas gift

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2013, 08:07 AM
RE: My xmas gift
I'd go in exactly the opposite direction. Steam is a low cost way to get a hold of good quality games for someone who isn't sure whether they want to get into gaming more seriously. Keyboard and mouse are more familiar to most casual users, and controllers can be purchased and will work in the vast majority of games. It's easy to browse through the featured list when you are finished or bored with your current crop of games and compare metacritic scores, as well as download demos.

If you're going to buy the latest AAA rated games every month then consoles are a reasonable proposition because you know your hardware will run them and you know you won't have to upgrade until the next generation of console is released. For that end of the market PC gaming is a little more technical because the PC versions of such titles take advantage of state of the art PC capabilities. The PC version will look and play better but you might need to upgrade a PC more often to keep up with that bleeding edge.

However, for the casual gamer there really is no upgrade cycle for PC gaming. The vast majority of casual games are low priced and have low hardware spec requirements. You can run them on your existing PC. For the price of a current console with no games included you could have multiple controllers plus dozens of PC+Steam games. For someone who is trying to figure out whether gaming is for them Steam is the ideal gaming platform.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
28-12-2013, 10:13 AM
And the moral of the thread?

Gamers are a diverse and opinionated bunch. Tongue They definitely like what they like. Lots of passion there. Anything that elicits so much passion needs to be investigated. Smile

I'm going to try this steam thing, simply because I just need to spend a few bucks and can use the equipment I already have.

Then I'll go from there.

Also, yesterday I was wondering what creature tries to lift the lid off my grain container outside every night. Maybe I'll get a recorder that I can stick out there and make a movie of the nightlife out there. This place teems with critters. Might be fun to watch.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-12-2013, 03:29 PM
(28-12-2013 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  Also, yesterday I was wondering what creature tries to lift the lid off my grain container outside every night. Maybe I'll get a recorder that I can stick out there and make a movie of the nightlife out there. This place teems with critters. Might be fun to watch.

[Image: coon.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-12-2013, 03:36 PM
(28-12-2013 03:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  Also, yesterday I was wondering what creature tries to lift the lid off my grain container outside every night. Maybe I'll get a recorder that I can stick out there and make a movie of the nightlife out there. This place teems with critters. Might be fun to watch.

She has a bad infestation of Portuguese.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
28-12-2013, 05:02 PM
(28-12-2013 03:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Thanks for this, made me laugh out loud!

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-12-2013, 05:03 PM
(28-12-2013 03:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 03:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  [Image: coon.gif]

She has a bad infestation of Portuguese.

Huh Undecided Huh

28-12-2013, 06:01 PM
(28-12-2013 05:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 03:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  She has a bad infestation of Portuguese.

Huh Undecided Huh

It was a family guy reference. Never mind....

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
28-12-2013, 06:02 PM
I agree with everyone if gaming is something you're not familiar with get a Wii U. The graphics aren't as good but the games are more player friendly than what you will currently find available for the PS4 or Xbox One. PC gaming is it's own beast and once you go PC you never go back!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]