Myanmar / Rohingya

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2017, 10:17 PM
RE: Myanmar / Rohingya
(07-09-2017 12:00 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 12:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, the Western world has an idealized notion that Buddhists are peaceful and passive, all the while forgetting that they too are 175-lb mammals capable of inflicting harm or death upon others.

It's easy to forget that Cambodia, where they killed almost all the educated people and almost anyone who showed signs of literacy in the 70s, is 95% Buddhist.

Wasn't Pol Pot a communist though?
Like, Stalin killed a couple people throughout his regime and he was technically an atheist. But the atrocities were done because of communism, not atheism.

Likewise, Hitler was Catholic (I think???), but he didn't kill Jews because he was Catholic, he did it because he thought they ruined Germany. It was done because of nationalism, not Catholicism.

Islamic terrorists, on the other hand, ARE motivated by religion. I don't know everything about this situation in Myanmar but I think it's religiously motivated??
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
12-09-2017, 04:27 AM
(11-09-2017 10:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wasn't Pol Pot a communist though?
Like, Stalin killed a couple people throughout his regime and he was technically an atheist. But the atrocities were done because of communism, not atheism.

He was "communist" though if I recall correctly it wasn't much Marx left in his thought. His "communism" was mixed with buddhism if I remember his biography correctly [Pol Pot: Anatomy of Nightmare].

Stalin killed more than a couple of people. You're right in it having nothing to do with atheism however.

Quote: Likewise, Hitler was Catholic (I think???), but he didn't kill Jews because he was Catholic, he did it because he thought they ruined Germany. It was done because of nationalism, not Catholicism.

Hitler certainly was believer and while he didn't planned Final Solution cause of christianity; christianity didn't do much to stop it cause antisemitism ingrained in it.

Also Hitler was more motivated by racism than nationalism I would say.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
12-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Quote:city of chittagong

For whatever it's worth I've been there. Doesn't mean I know anything about what's happening there. I didn't even know what was happening there when I was there.