Myanmat - Arrested for insulting buddah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Myanmat - Arrested for insulting buddah
Quote from BBC news asia:
A New Zealander and two Burmese men have been found guilty of insulting religion in Myanmar over a poster promoting a drinks event depicting Buddha with headphones.

Philip Blackwood, who managed the VGastro Bar in Yangon, was arrested in December along with bar owner Tun Thurein and colleague Htut Ko Ko Lwin.

They have each been sentenced to two and a half years in jail.

Burmese law makes it illegal to insult or damage any religion.
End quote.

This coming from a country that calls its self a democracy. I wander if their ridiculous law extends to images of Thor, making movies like Thor illegal or even religions like the mormons or cults like Aum was here in Japan. My guess is that they pick and choose which ones you can joke about depending on the ones they think are real in their local culture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes azumirm's post
17-03-2015, 05:24 PM
RE: Myanmat - Arrested for insulting buddah
There's a serious problem when government decides what' a "legitimate religion"......

Especially when you consider they're all based on rancid bullshit...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-03-2015, 07:02 PM
(17-03-2015 05:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's a serious problem when government decides what' a "legitimate religion"......

Yeah the US government is like that too. Funny how the churches allow the government to do it, money talks...
17-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Sucks for them that they're Kiwi's. Our government wont do shit. They should have been Australian.

[Image: oscar.png]
17-03-2015, 10:57 PM
It really outrages me. If they had have made an image of Charles Manson with headphones on would that be illegal? He acquired a cult following and led people to believe he was a messiah. So by their definition in Myanmar, insulting Charles Manson is illegal with punishment up to 2.5 years in jail.
[+] 1 user Likes azumirm's post
17-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Pretty useless religion if they can't take a joke. I mean, it's not even a joke you could plausibly construe as harmful or racist. Why are *all* religious people so goddamn insecure?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-03-2015, 11:59 PM
(17-03-2015 11:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  Pretty useless religion if they can't take a joke. I mean, it's not even a joke you could plausibly construe as harmful or racist. Why are *all* religious people so goddamn insecure?

The very fact that they are insecure should tell you exactly how "all powerful" their god really is............

Fucker's pretty lame when he can be defeated with a cartoon..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-03-2015, 05:54 AM
So you're offended religious nutter, so ****ing what?
19-03-2015, 06:10 AM
(19-03-2015 05:54 AM)Kitson Wrote:  So you're offended religious nutter, so ****ing what?

Unintentional iron knee?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Hey! Angry I think it's very offensive. I'm a former Buddhist and... wait..Consider

Never mind.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post