Mystery Rock just shows up on Mars-
Sounds pretty interesting! Martian?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
20-01-2014, 03:22 PM
RE: Mystery Rock just shows up on Mars-
It really is interesting, but I don't think it will be anything big No Just as they say, a wheel probably flicked the rock.

I can't wait until people go there already! Sadcryface2

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
21-01-2014, 07:34 AM
It seems most news articles not including full information on this subject. Here is a more complete coverage:

Quote:"So my best guess for this rock … is that it's something that was nearby," said Squyres. "I must stress that I’m guessing now, but I think it happened when the rover did a turn in place a meter or two from where this rock now lies."

Opportunity's front right steering actuator has stopped working, so Squyres identified that as the possible culprit behind the whole mystery.

Each wheel on the rover has its own actuator. Should an actuator jam or otherwise fail, the robot's mobility can suffer. In the case of this wheel, it can no longer turn left or right. "So if you do a turn in place on bedrock," continued Squyres, "as you turn that wheel across the rock, it's gonna kinda 'chatter.'" This jittery motion across the bedrock may have propelled the rock out of place, "tiddlywinking" the object from its location and flipping it a few feet away from the rover.
http://www.space.com/24330-mars-rover-my...pears.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
21-01-2014, 07:48 AM
I agree it probably was kicked up from the rover, but its also unlike the other things we have seen there. I found this part from the article I posted above fascinating too.

Quote:Opportunity is now studying the mystery rock more extensively, making measurements and taking pictures. Its instruments have shown scientists that the "jelly" part is "like nothing we've ever seen before," Squyres said. It's very high in sulfur and magnesium, and it has twice as much manganese as has ever been seen in anything on Mars.
No one knows what that means.
"We're completely confused, we're having a wonderful time, everyone on the team is arguing and fighting," Squyres said.

so many mysteries ….can't wait to see what they find next.

[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
21-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Nice Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
21-01-2014, 08:34 AM
so I'm no rocket scientist, Angel but I googled to see what kinds things are high in sulfur and magnesium. Fertilizer and a new battery that Toyota is working on. Consider

this little rock might prove to be very, very important.

21-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Damn it - we need to get proper broadband going to mars and get some live webcams up.