"Myth" about Galileo - that the church really wasn't opposed to science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2015, 05:21 AM
"Myth" about Galileo - that the church really wasn't opposed to science
The last few years, I've been hearing a version of the Galileo story I'm not sure is true or not, but at first glance, it makes me feel a little skeptical. People like Dinesh D'Souza or others tell a version of the Galileo story intent to destroy the "myth" that the Catholic Church really wasn't opposed to science of Copernicus and Galileo, but one version of the story is that Galileo got into trouble for basically making fun of the pope indirectly in one of his works

http://www.reformedperspective.ca/compon...alileomyth

Does anyone know how true this "myth debunking" is?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2015, 05:49 AM
RE: "Myth" about Galileo - that the church really wasn't opposed to science
About as believable as the "Myth of the Holocaust".

A bunch of pin headed twats who think that if you ignore facts long enough, you can make your own reality.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-09-2015, 08:32 AM
His comments about the aristolian view being so firm and evidence they didn't think of the skies roaming around the earth was popular at the time is largely false.

These were the basis's of textbooks and came with other ideas at the time. Authors like Milton even had books printed with these ideas to help explain the cosmological view used in a text that may relate to it. At the time believed in these ideas and he actually was just on that cusp having met Galileo.

[Image: 2ptolemaic-1ptolemaic-cosmology-diagram-...as-9th.gif]

Could there be attitude over scientific proclamations purposes for why he was treated worse than some others. Sure, but it doesn't negate anything they held then or the facts that it wasn't until JohnPaulII in the early 90s that they discussed and absolved Galileo.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-09-2015, 08:53 AM
While it was more political than a lot of latter-day retellings might suggest...

No. Geocentrism was definitely considered a matter of religious doctrine, to which a challenge was naturally heretical.

... this is my signature!
24-09-2015, 09:02 AM
"Sampson clearly works from a perspective that values the historicity and authority of the Bible."

That pretty much sums that up.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
24-09-2015, 01:51 PM
(24-09-2015 08:53 AM)cjlr Wrote:  While it was more political than a lot of latter-day retellings might suggest...

No. Geocentrism was definitely considered a matter of religious doctrine, to which a challenge was naturally heretical.

What's really mind-boggling is that there are still people who think this way. There is a heated argument going on right now over at Suscipe Domine regarding geocentrism, and the people "in favor" don't care about science at all -- they just find it incomprehensible that God could have led them astray in his inerrant scriptures. What it says in the Bible has to be the absolute truth, because it's the "Word of God", don't you see. They refuse to accept that it could be wrong in any way. And "the Fathers" were all geocentrists. Therefore geocentrism must be correct.

I don't understand how otherwise intelligent people can still be so boneheaded, but there it is in black and white.
24-09-2015, 01:54 PM
(24-09-2015 05:21 AM)Learner Wrote:  The last few years, I've been hearing a version of the Galileo story I'm not sure is true or not, but at first glance, it makes me feel a little skeptical. People like Dinesh D'Souza or others tell a version of the Galileo story intent to destroy the "myth" that the Catholic Church really wasn't opposed to science of Copernicus and Galileo, but one version of the story is that Galileo got into trouble for basically making fun of the pope indirectly in one of his works

http://www.reformedperspective.ca/compon...alileomyth

Does anyone know how true this "myth debunking" is?

The initial response to Galileo's findings was "The bible tells us how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go". If Galileo had just presented his findings and left it at that, nothing would have happened to him. Doctrines would have changed to match observations. The Church got mad when Galileo started to interpret scriptures. Now he was stepping on their toes at a time when they were still smarting from the protestant reformation. It also didn't help that Galileo tended to rub people the wrong way. There was a bit of troll in Galileo.
27-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Galileo was "discussed and absolved" 500 years too late. Maybe we could get a time machine and get Bruno off the fire before he gets singed for his "heresy". The RCC is not and never should have been in the "science" business, and sure as hell shouldn't have any earthly authority to do most of what they did. This Galileo story is just some more apologetics, with enough time in the past so that the laity will just gobble it down. Go to the second page of that link; the next topic is "Scientific Reasons to be against Evolution". Laugh out load That tells me all I need to know about the veracity of said site.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
03-10-2015, 08:37 PM
To add- The RCC had people like Galileo and Bruno on their payroll to keep control of the math and science and not let it trickle down to the "common people". Big money in the cash register if the local shaman can predict the next lunar or solar eclipse and scare the hell out of the peasants. Fuckin' RCC should be raided by the remaining honest Italian law enforcement, all clergy placed in stocks and/or pillories, and the monies from sales of all their loot (except that which should/can be returned to their rightful owners or their heirs) channeled into reeducation of those who they have deceived and/or blackmailed. That and compensation for personal injury for all the child molestation. That still wouldn't be enough, but the non-existence of the RCC and any organized religion would remove a hob-nailed religious boot from the necks of many of the people in this world.

Nope, not smokin' anything, it's my 63rd birthday, and I just poured 2 fingers of some nice cognac, and I'm feeling expansive about religion. Angel

Is there any doubt in anybody's mind about how I feel about organized religion? Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Happy birthday.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.