"Myth" about Galileo - that the church really wasn't opposed to science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 08:45 PM
RE: "Myth" about Galileo - that the church really wasn't opposed to science
(24-09-2015 01:54 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 05:21 AM)Learner Wrote:  The last few years, I've been hearing a version of the Galileo story I'm not sure is true or not, but at first glance, it makes me feel a little skeptical. People like Dinesh D'Souza or others tell a version of the Galileo story intent to destroy the "myth" that the Catholic Church really wasn't opposed to science of Copernicus and Galileo, but one version of the story is that Galileo got into trouble for basically making fun of the pope indirectly in one of his works

http://www.reformedperspective.ca/compon...alileomyth

Does anyone know how true this "myth debunking" is?

The initial response to Galileo's findings was "The bible tells us how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go". If Galileo had just presented his findings and left it at that, nothing would have happened to him. Doctrines would have changed to match observations. The Church got mad when Galileo started to interpret scriptures. Now he was stepping on their toes at a time when they were still smarting from the protestant reformation. It also didn't help that Galileo tended to rub people the wrong way. There was a bit of troll in Galileo.

OK, the RCC didn't like what Galileo was doing. They sure don't like what I'm doing, and for the record, as far as I am concerned they shouldn't be able to control 10^(-googol) of what happens in this world. People who can't deal with people who rub them the wrong way need to grow a thicker skin and not exert their religio-political "authority" on them to ruin their lives. Shameful cubed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 08:46 PM
(24-09-2015 05:21 AM)Learner Wrote:  The last few years, I've been hearing a version of the Galileo story I'm not sure is true or not, but at first glance, it makes me feel a little skeptical. People like Dinesh D'Souza or others tell a version of the Galileo story intent to destroy the "myth" that the Catholic Church really wasn't opposed to science of Copernicus and Galileo, but one version of the story is that Galileo got into trouble for basically making fun of the pope indirectly in one of his works

http://www.reformedperspective.ca/compon...alileomyth

Does anyone know how true this "myth debunking" is?

Dinesh D'Souza. ..... ahahahahahahaha.
Idiot criminal.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-...violation/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-10-2015, 07:18 PM
(03-10-2015 08:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Happy birthday.

Thanks! Smile
05-10-2015, 01:32 AM
(03-10-2015 08:45 PM)Fireball Wrote:  People who can't deal with people who rub them the wrong way need to grow a thicker skin and not exert their religio-political "authority" on them to ruin their lives. Shameful cubed.

You could say the same for Valdimir Putin or Kim Jung whatever his name except leave out the religio part. What you are being critical of is not exclusive the politics mixed with religion. Its really just an artifact of just politics and power.
05-10-2015, 06:25 AM
(05-10-2015 01:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 08:45 PM)Fireball Wrote:  People who can't deal with people who rub them the wrong way need to grow a thicker skin and not exert their religio-political "authority" on them to ruin their lives. Shameful cubed.

You could say the same for Valdimir Putin or Kim Jung whatever his name except leave out the religio part. What you are being critical of is not exclusive the politics mixed with religion. Its really just an artifact of just politics and power.

Except there is the religo- part to both of them. Especially the Kim family which are one of those rarer in this era, old school dynasty or rulers that do anoint themselves as godly beings. Kim Jon Un's grandfather is proclaimed to be Eternal President of North Korea in the manner of which he lives on in his godly state.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-10-2015, 07:03 AM
(05-10-2015 06:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 01:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You could say the same for Valdimir Putin or Kim Jung whatever his name except leave out the religio part. What you are being critical of is not exclusive the politics mixed with religion. Its really just an artifact of just politics and power.

Except there is the religo- part to both of them. Especially the Kim family which are one of those rarer in this era, old school dynasty or rulers that do anoint themselves as godly beings. Kim Jon Un's grandfather is proclaimed to be Eternal President of North Korea in the manner of which he lives on in his godly state.

North Korea is a necrocracy.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-10-2015, 01:33 PM
(05-10-2015 01:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

My statement was specifically for the RCC, but saying "People who can't... does leave it open to all comers, I guess.

I see that the case for Korea addresses your post, so I won't belabor it.
08-10-2015, 09:21 PM
(27-09-2015 02:38 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Go to the second page of that link; the next topic is "Scientific Reasons to be against Evolution". Laugh out load That tells me all I need to know about the veracity of said site.
Thumbsup

Sapere aude
08-10-2015, 10:17 PM
(05-10-2015 07:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 06:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Except there is the religo- part to both of them. Especially the Kim family which are one of those rarer in this era, old school dynasty or rulers that do anoint themselves as godly beings. Kim Jon Un's grandfather is proclaimed to be Eternal President of North Korea in the manner of which he lives on in his godly state.

North Korea is a necrocracy.

Naw, they will survive, as long as the "leadership" can rattle a sabre or two, and occasionally launch a missile over Japan, and get us to send them a few more million bushels of wheat, which gets fed to one of the largest standing armies in the world, instead of the common folks. While I feel for the N Koreans, that kind of stupidity just has to end.