Mythbusters Misfires Cannon, Rolls Over and Falls Asleep

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Mythbusters Misfires Cannon, Rolls Over and Falls Asleep
Ok so not exactly. For those of you who haven't read the story, a Mythbusters experiment didn't go as planned when a cannon they fired sent the cannonball over the target and on a trajectory that brought it some distance into a local community where it passed through a house, across a multi-lane street, and finally crashed into a minivan. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

I'm a fan of the Mythbusters show, thought I don't watch it regularly (I don't have cable or satellite anymore and I limit my TV show watching to only a couple of shows max). The spectatularly un-insurable show has worked hard to keep their experiments controlled and safe, but occasionally things go in an unexpected direction. I would have thought that when firing a cannon they would have been sure that nothing of this magnitude could go wrong. I hope that they are able to keep the show going, it's on hold now, but I also hope they take even strong measure when working with projectiles in the future.

The Discovery channel is working hard to repair the damage, which is the least they could do. Here's to hoping they really do take care of those impacted like they say they are.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2011, 11:51 AM
RE: Mythbusters Misfires Cannon, Rolls Over and Falls Asleep
Idiots. How do you mess up ballistics? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
08-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Supposedly they were on a bombing range. Why is a bombing range close enough to a neigborhood that you can fire a cannon to it?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah, my understanding is they are always SUPER careful and only do things under the supervision of the local police bomb squad and always at bomb and ballistics range.
It's not like they were being willy-nilly cavalier with their experiment.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I guess that's the reason for the investigation... how could this go so wrong?

Too much powder?
Poorly aimed?
Cannon not secured well enough?
Just a really unlucky bounce on the hill behind the target?

Speculation won't answer for us, but I'm curious about what they find out- precisely because I know they're always careful.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
08-12-2011, 12:27 PM
(08-12-2011 11:36 AM)kineo Wrote:  Ok so not exactly. For those of you who haven't read the story, a Mythbusters experiment didn't go as planned when a cannon they fired sent the cannonball over the target and on a trajectory that brought it some distance into a local community where it passed through a house, across a multi-lane street, and finally crashed into a minivan. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

I'm a fan of the Mythbusters show, thought I don't watch it regularly (I don't have cable or satellite anymore and I limit my TV show watching to only a couple of shows max). The spectatularly un-insurable show has worked hard to keep their experiments controlled and safe, but occasionally things go in an unexpected direction. I would have thought that when firing a cannon they would have been sure that nothing of this magnitude could go wrong. I hope that they are able to keep the show going, it's on hold now, but I also hope they take even strong measure when working with projectiles in the future.

The Discovery channel is working hard to repair the damage, which is the least they could do. Here's to hoping they really do take care of those impacted like they say they are.

They arent dead, they just have a hole in the wall lol. I am sure they make more than enough money to fix that minor dmg.

PS: One of my favorite shows....Sadly one of the few things that comes on discovery worth watching anymore.
[+] 2 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
08-12-2011, 01:49 PM
(08-12-2011 12:27 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(08-12-2011 11:36 AM)kineo Wrote:  Ok so not exactly. For those of you who haven't read the story, a Mythbusters experiment didn't go as planned when a cannon they fired sent the cannonball over the target and on a trajectory that brought it some distance into a local community where it passed through a house, across a multi-lane street, and finally crashed into a minivan. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

They arent dead, they just have a hole in the wall lol. I am sure they make more than enough money to fix that minor dmg.

PS: One of my favorite shows....Sadly one of the few things that comes on discovery worth watching anymore.

They are lucky that nobody was killed. But they've complained about how hard it is do some experiments because of insurance. This will only make it more difficult. Will it be so difficult that it becomes too expensive to produce the show? Let's hope not.
09-12-2011, 10:24 AM
(08-12-2011 01:49 PM)kineo Wrote:  They are lucky that nobody was killed. But they've complained about how hard it is do some experiments because of insurance. This will only make it more difficult. Will it be so difficult that it becomes too expensive to produce the show? Let's hope not.

I'd say it doesn't look good. The chick with the minivan was harping on being in the car five minutes prior. "I could have been killed!" She whines, another shrew trying to get her fifteen minutes of fame. While I think she's a shrew, ballistics ain't quantum mechanics; some idiot took their eye off the ball.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Hey Obama is a fan of the show, it will be ok.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
12-12-2011, 09:29 PM
My question is, how old are the houses that close to a firing range of any kind? My suspicion is that the housing has moved closer to the range and not that the range was built close to housing. That would certainly change the feasibility of using that range in future experiments. I also agree, someone was not doing their math or setting the trajectory correctly. It's a damned good thing no one was hurt but the show's reputation.

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. Cool