Mythology and Religion the same?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Mythology and Religion the same?
Now to start of I must be up front and say that I am not as educated as most of you, that I have read here on the discussion boards.

Here is something that I have questioned for many years now and could never understand and never knew where to ask others on the subject until I came upon this awesome person named Richard Dawkins and this website.

So here it goes and I'll try to explain it the best that I can.

Just like God and Jesus are worshiped today Zeus, Ra, Odin etc.. was worshiped thousands of years ago. But if you believe in and worship God its religion if you believe in Zeus and the others its called mythology. And I just don't understand why.

God had a book or it is a collection of sacred scripture from different authors of the sacred scripture. Which basically to me is like a collection of short stories by different people to form the bible.

Well we have many stories by different people about Zeus, Odin, and Set.

People thousand of years ago believed in Set, Zeus, Odin ( not going to name them all but I would think most people know these). They believed that these figures where their gods they built them churches, temple, statues, pyramids, wrote countless of wonderful stories fro them all. Stories that explained who they created the earth and what they are in control of in order for the universe to work.
Like for example if you where going into battle who did they pray to ARIES the god of war.

No I know there is no Zeus or set or aries just like I know there is no God or Jesus.

But why are these God's of the past referred to as mythological and God and Jesus are referred to as religion and still worshiped to this day.

I hope someone can decipher what I am trying to ask I know it might be difficult and trust me when I say it frustrates me to no end that I can not fully explain what I am trying to say in a more intellectual way.
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2010, 04:49 PM

RE: Mythology and Religion the same?
Definition taken from: dictionary.reference.com

my·thol·o·gy

a body of myths, as that of a particular people or that relating to a particular person: Greek mythology.
myths collectively.
the science or study of myths.
a set of stories, traditions, or beliefs associated with a particular group or the history of an event, arising naturally
or deliberately fostered: the fascist mythology of the interwar years.

I don't see why any religions aren't mythologies according to definitions # 1 or 4. People that believe these in different religions will argue that they aren't myths because they are real or truths.

The only real difference between religions and mythology might just be that people still believe in religions, and mythologies might be seen as extinct religions.
12-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Mythology is just dead religion.
Beliefs that lost their following.

You don't see any organized mythology today.
Perhaps it's fair to say that mythology is religions fossil record?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2010, 06:32 PM

(12-11-2010 05:00 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  Mythology is just dead religion.
Beliefs that lost their following.

You don't see any organized mythology today.
Perhaps it's fair to say that mythology is religions fossil record?

If that's the case then I hope some day religion as we know it will become a mythology due to Science.