Mythology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2010, 12:40 PM
RE: Mythology
I think mythology has a lot of value, but I may be biased in this opinion. Great works such as Homer's Odyssey, Ovid's Metamorphoses, and Dante's Divine Comedy would not exist without mythology. The same goes for the great works of the Renaissance artists Donatello, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael. Just because they are based on myths does not make them any less beautiful or fascinating.
I also have to add the ancient epic, Gilgamesh, which contains a flood and a man (Utnapishtim) who was told by his god that he had to build a boat to save his village... Sound familiar?? (This text was written on tablets in the 18th-17th century BC, way before the Hebrew Bible.)

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks, erbody, for your replies.

Ok, how bout this?

One of the great powers of mythology has always been that it tells us what our relationships are, what they should be and how they came about. Relationships with each other, with adversity, with other organisms, with the planet, with the heavens, etc...

What about something like Santa Clause? We (feel free to opt out of this we I'm speaking for) teach our children that Santa is real. Why? Because we're trying to teach them that there is rewards available for good behaviour and punishments for bad behaviour. It's basically operant conditioning (positive reinforcement and negative punishment). But it's all achieved through the power of mythology.

But we don't tell them that Santa is fake for years. Santa is pretty irrational. So does this sort of irrational mythology still have value in a rational world? Should it be held onto or abolished? Should we just tell children, be nice and I'll get you something on X-Mas?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Probably, if we're being entirely rational. But I find the Santa Claus story fun.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
27-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Unbeliever--> Please read your private messages. (Sorry to put this in a thread)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
27-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Oops, sorry. There's no real notification when I get one. :|

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
27-08-2010, 09:06 AM

I'm not going to tell my kid about Santa Claus. Society will do that for him. I just need to let him know that it is all bullshit from the get-go. He/She needs to be able to see through it. Not that Santa Claus is a particularly dangerous idea, but it bears structural similarities with religion and a number of other false things out there.
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Jeez, let the poor kid believe in Santa. If I'm any religion I'm Jewish and I don't tell my kids the truth about Santa. I never said anything either way but they picked it up on their own and my 7 year old completely believes he is real. I see it as completely harmless.

The duration of childhood innocence is very fleeting. My view is let it last for as long as it can and let them have their innocent illusions. The world will intrude soon enough.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
27-08-2010, 03:01 PM

BNW, I agree, as a child let them have their fun of imagination, that is one of the best things about being a kid. Now if they grow up to be 17 and still believe in Santa.. so be it.

Also, No one told us to be Atheist, we ( I assume) found this out on our own, who are we to have kids to tell them, look kid all this is made up.. Are we not just as bad as those who tell them that it is all real?
27-08-2010, 03:31 PM

WTF? Santa isn't real?
That's NOT funny!
27-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Calm down Smee. Santa's real. I promise. They're just trying to ruin Christmas for you.

So many cats, so few good recipes.