Myths about Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
RE: Myths about Atheist
(11-03-2010 06:10 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  
Quote:Skeptic, according to Oxford dictionary is "a person who doubts the truth or value of an idea or belief." That is what I believe, and yes I am skeptical of religion, but for the most part God is not apart of religion.

It doesn't appear that you ARE skeptical of religion, since you have tried to use parts of the bible to support your arguments.

In my view of skepticism about religion, once you start picking at the 'truth' of the 'good book', and realize there is NO truth to a majority of the claims it makes, then it can no longer be believed...it should be abandoned. That would include god as well...maybe not right away...but eventually, the idea of god becomes just as ridiculous an idea as any of the claims made in the bible.

martin, based on what you stated above, you've just defined yourself as one of two things: an agnostic and/or a deist. I'm starting to think that you are having doubts about your own belief system and that your 'thrashing around' on this web site is a final attempt at trying to maintain a belief system you KNOW you can no longer maintain. To coin an analogy, 'you see the lies that religion throws about like candy, which was tasty at first, but now you've realized you have a toothache'.

I wonder if that is true. I don't believe Martin is stupid, just confused some. However, I have seen people thrash around for years.

Honestly, I'm not ready to say that about Martin.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2010, 12:43 PM

(10-03-2010 12:43 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
Quote:As far as dragons are concerned there are plenty of scientific friends of yours that say it is possible for a dragon to have existed.

(10-03-2010 12:18 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Name three.

Dr. Peter Hogarth, Senior Biologist of the University of York,
Animal Planet did a show on dragons, listed some scientists that said that dragons could have existed. I am sure it is on youtube or their website.

Can't believe you actually thought that show was a documentary! That's simply amazing.

Anyway, maybe this will help. Dr. Hogarth joined Animal Planet for a live chat following the premiere of Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real on Sunday, March 20. You can have a look at the transcript here ( http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/.../chat.html ) where he begins the talk:

Dr. Hogarth: I'm glad to be here. I hope you enjoyed the show, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about dragons.

Togusa: Now is this show based on actual evidence or is it being used to entice our imaginations?
Dr. Hogarth: Well, we did title it Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real. It's really to stimulate the imagination. We ask if they really did exist, how would they fly, how would they live. It's based on real animals, but it's really just a fantasy.
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Its on the description of the DVD of that show on the Discovery Channel online store.
12-03-2010, 02:11 PM

(12-03-2010 01:49 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Its on the description of the DVD of that show on the Discovery Channel online store.

People show some common sense, I know what the DVD was about, the point I am making is that dragons are plausible, based on the science you so love to quote.
12-03-2010, 02:47 PM

(12-03-2010 02:11 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(12-03-2010 01:49 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Its on the description of the DVD of that show on the Discovery Channel online store.

People show some common sense, I know what the DVD was about, the point I am making is that dragons are plausible, based on the science you so love to quote.

No, the point you made was "As far as dragons are concerned there are plenty of scientific friends of yours that say it is possible for a dragon to have existed."

And then you listed Dr. Peter J. Hogarth as your expert!! Now, all of a sudden, you "know what the DVD was about".

Funny logic!
12-03-2010, 05:22 PM

They never said it was possible.. they where theorizing on HOW it MIGHT be possible...

YOU thought it was serious science...
12-03-2010, 06:56 PM

(12-03-2010 05:22 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  

They never said it was possible.. they where theorizing on HOW it MIGHT be possible...

YOU thought it was serious science...

If it is plausible then it is possible. Someone needs to change the name of this site!
12-03-2010, 07:38 PM
(12-03-2010 06:56 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  If it is plausible then it is possible. Someone needs to change the name of this site!

A question, martin: have you actually watched this documentary? If so, what biological mechanism did they use to explain the dragon's ability to breathe fire?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply