N. Korea now has missile capable of reaching D.C.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2017, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2017 08:00 AM by BikerDude.)
RE: N. Korea now has missile capable of reaching D.C.
(29-11-2017 12:21 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(29-11-2017 10:44 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  It's not going to fucking happen.
Did the USSR nuke us?
Did we nuke them?
They used to have drills for kids to hide under their desks.
Hell Pakistan and India have nukes and they stopped fighting since.
It's a deterrent.
He announced that he is a nuclear power with this missile capable of reaching the US.

I gotta say, that's pretty sanguine, coming from the guy who wrote this in '15,000 Scientists Warn On Climate Change' a few days ago:

(24-11-2017 07:16 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Yes and it's clear that people aren't going to do shit about it.
No matter what we say or do.
The little dutch boy only has 10 fingers and 10 toes.
He's running out and the tide is rising.
Find high ground. Stock up and get ready for the hoards.
Those in the know and in control have long ago faced this reality.
Including the government.
It will probably be a while. But it's inevitable.
Eventually there will be an inside and an outside.
And inside has been systematically moving to control food supplies for years now.
Water is next.
It used to be that this sort of belief required a tin foil hat.
Today it involves taking off the foil hat and the rose colored glasses.
But hey. You want the world of Star Trek?
This is how you get there.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/...super-rich

I have no idea how the 2 things are related.
Climate change and scarcity of resources are real and obvious and IMO inevitable.
Banging the nuclear annihilation drum is the same old familiar paranoia IMO.
To me it's clear (and understandable) that NK is afraid of Trump and is striving to gain a deterrence. The delusions of the NK people is famous but I don't believe that the leadership is unclear about the consequences of a nuclear first strike.
The danger of some nuclear power giving a nuke to a terrorist group is very real.
But it would happen when they become completely isolated. NK isn't there yet.
China is still supporting them. But yeah. It's the most likely scenario of a nuke being used.

Also this is a pretty much accepted position. That NK won't start shit.
At least outside the Alex Jones universe.
http://www.newsweek.com/world-war-3-nucl...ats-724880
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-...story.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl...872508001/

Lets just say that when it comes to the "end of the world" I'm in the "not with a bang but with a whimper" crowd.
A slow decline into dystopia as people frantically empower "daddy" to save them.
Till the whole world looks like North Korea.
And things like nuclear paranoia just feed the beast.
If you want to be afraid of something be afraid of some cop in riot gear kicking in your door and shooting you in the head because the TV remote is in your hand.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2017, 04:02 PM
This is an interesting image, taken in 2014 from the ISS. North Korea, the only nation to develop atomic weapons before the electric light.

[Image: north-korea-at-night.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
30-11-2017, 08:19 PM
I have a refrigerator to hide in.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-12-2017, 03:15 AM
(30-11-2017 04:02 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  This is an interesting image, taken in 2014 from the ISS. North Korea, the only nation to develop atomic weapons before the electric light.

You may not forget that this is much more a feudal monarchy for a god king than a communist state, this is only natural. And from the standpoint of self preservation, understandable.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
01-12-2017, 03:27 AM
(30-11-2017 06:37 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(29-11-2017 12:21 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  I gotta say, that's pretty sanguine, coming from the guy who wrote this in '15,000 Scientists Warn On Climate Change' a few days ago:

I have no idea how the 2 things are related.
Climate change and scarcity of resources are real and obvious and IMO inevitable.
Banging the nuclear annihilation drum is the same old familiar paranoia IMO.
To me it's clear (and understandable) that NK is afraid of Trump and is striving to gain a deterrence. The delusions of the NK people is famous but I don't believe that the leadership is unclear about the consequences of a nuclear first strike.
The danger of some nuclear power giving a nuke to a terrorist group is very real.
But it would happen when they become completely isolated. NK isn't there yet.
China is still supporting them. But yeah. It's the most likely scenario of a nuke being used.

Also this is a pretty much accepted position. That NK won't start shit.
At least outside the Alex Jones universe.
http://www.newsweek.com/world-war-3-nucl...ats-724880
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-...story.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl...872508001/

Lets just say that when it comes to the "end of the world" I'm in the "not with a bang but with a whimper" crowd.
A slow decline into dystopia as people frantically empower "daddy" to save them.
Till the whole world looks like North Korea.
And things like nuclear paranoia just feed the beast.
If you want to be afraid of something be afraid of some cop in riot gear kicking in your door and shooting you in the head because the TV remote is in your hand.

[Image: x6DEbV5.gif]
01-12-2017, 07:47 AM
In the larger sense does anyone else see North Korea as a further statement on the futility of war?
Is anyone surprised that they retreated into a paranoid, overly defensive, controlled state full of propaganda and led by a series of leaders who engage in bellicose pronouncements about their power? Or that they strive mightily to have a nuclear deterrence?
They have been invaded and occupied for centuries and their entire identity has developed with the single biggest goal being self defense.
America hasn't ever really been invaded by another country and conquered and occupied.
If we had we might understand a bit more.
Of course that said if a badger digs a burrow in your backyard you still have to deal with it or be prepared for it to eat your cat.

01-12-2017, 08:25 AM
I agree with your first two points, but the last about being invaded doesn't really hold water. The North as well as the South have been invaded and subjugated to a rather brutal colonial regime between 1910 and 1945.

It's totally understandable for the North to develop nukes. It's a life insurance for the ruling dynasty (you can't call it by any other name). The bellicose talk is just that, talk. For once it's meant as a deterrent and second, it's the usual asian hyperbolic terminology. Even more so, since the Kim dynasty is also justified by religious and mythological elements. They're using Korean mythology to their advantage.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
01-12-2017, 09:33 AM
(01-12-2017 07:47 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  America hasn't ever really been invaded by another country and conquered and occupied.

Native Americans might disagree with the above statement.

Also, England and Ireland were invaded and occupied many times, and they are nothing like North Korea. They just assimilated the invaders and carried on (although I won't pretend that the assimilation was painless). Of course, they have had 1000 years or more to deal with it. Maybe we just need to give the Koreans some time.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
01-12-2017, 09:39 AM
(01-12-2017 09:33 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(01-12-2017 07:47 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  America hasn't ever really been invaded by another country and conquered and occupied.

Native Americans might disagree with the above statement.

Also, England and Ireland were invaded and occupied many times, and they are nothing like North Korea. They just assimilated the invaders and carried on (although I won't pretend that the assimilation was painless). Of course, they have had 1000 years or more to deal with it. Maybe we just need to give the Koreans some time.

And Native Americans would understand.
Ireland and England have a bloody past related to being invaded . They hardly just assimilated the invaders. Yes it was painful so what is your point? That's not assimilation. It's fatigue at best.
Assimilated in the Borg sense I suppose.

01-12-2017, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 09:48 AM by BikerDude.)
(01-12-2017 08:25 AM)abaris Wrote:  I agree with your first two points, but the last about being invaded doesn't really hold water. The North as well as the South have been invaded and subjugated to a rather brutal colonial regime between 1910 and 1945.

Is this directed at me?
It seems like you are agreeing with me while disputing my point.
If the distinction is that the South is less militarized I would dispute this as the US has had military bases there for decades. And since it was the US that invaded during the Korean war (yes I suppose you could say that the north invaded the south but that gets weird) it makes sense that it would be the north that feels it's self in the cross hairs.
The south lives under the protection of the US.
US politicians have routinely suggested regime change and all sorts of bluster every election cycle.
It's not surprising that they hear that exactly the same way we hear Kim Bim Dim every time he blusters.