N00b from SW Arkansas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2013, 09:51 AM
N00b from SW Arkansas
Hey all, Robert here. I live in Texarkana, Arkansas; love cars and racing; enjoy photography, astronomy, and nature; spend a lot of time wasting away on the internet, watching movies, and studying female anatomy. I'm on a bunch of car forums, frequent Reddit, and just love reading all the ridiculous things people post to Facebook. I spent 7 years as a US Marine ('03-'10) and hope to finally get around to going to college soon.

I grew up a Christian, although I was never too serious with my habits growing up. We weren't regular church goers; it was basically we'll say a prayer before eating dinner together and that was about it. I got a little bit more serious with it once in the Military... but not serious enough to the point of voluntarily going to church service or anything. There were a few moments overseas where I was like, "Wow, someone was watching out for us/them." Throughout life, I basically just accepted that there was a god and never thought to question otherwise.

About a year and 3 months or so ago, my mother said something that really planted a question, a curiosity, a seed... Inception, if you will. I forget what we were talking about exactly, or how it came about, I just remember my mom saying, "You know what my dad says? 'Well who's god's daddy?' What an idiot." So, not only did the question of, "If there is some Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent god; where did he come from" stick with me; but also the fact that she could call her own father, whom she really does love a lot, an idiot for having a differing opinion.

So I took to the internet. I really don't remember my order of reading/watching, etc. There was a lot of YouTube mixed with some r/Atheism, along with a variety of other things. I'm pretty sure that Richard Dawkins was the first person I searched out on YouTube, whom I found because of a joint talk he gave with Dr. Neil Tyson. It probably took me a good 3 to 6 months before I acknowledged that I was an atheist. Right around the same time, I started my podcast listening days with StarTalk. Soon after came The Thinking Atheist, followed up with a few others like The Good Atheist, SGU, and Science Fantastic. And then here lately I added in Ardent Atheist (I'm at episode 61), The Atheist Experience, and Penn's Sunday School. While I'm really loving Penn's SS, TTA has always been my favorite. When the intro starts playing, I get all kinds of giddy. With that said, I'm extremely upset that they aren't updating on the Zune Marketplace anymore. Sad Listening on YouTube just isn't as fun.

Anyway, for the most part, I'm still fairly in the closet with my atheism, although a little bit comes out here and there. The first part of my "coming out" came in June or July of last year and it was completely by accident/my stupidity. I decided I wanted to get a book or two from the local Books-a-Million. It actually took a couple visits for me to muster up the courage to ask for helping finding "The god Delusion", it was well hidden, and all the girls working there always had big crosses around their necks. A little intimidating, at first. Nevertheless, I got around to it one day, bought it, went home to an empty house, and set it on the dining room table with it still in the bag. My sister then called me and asked if I wanted to get something to eat, and I did, so I left... and I completely forgot about leaving the book on the table. Fast Forward... when I came home, my mother and wife were in the kitchen, and I noticed the book was lying on TOP of the store bag. Nothing was said, but I knew I was outed. One of my facepalm moments.

Oh well, now I serve 2 gods...

[Image: 8536768793_b3b558dc5d.jpg][Image: 8591381754_054d2dfa09.jpg]

...or at least that's what they seem to think!

Blah, blah, blah... glad to be here.

Ain't nobody got time for that/tl;dr: Atheist in Arkansas. Praise be to Kitty; he has risen!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like USMCFieldMP's post
31-03-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: N00b from SW Arkansas
Hi USMCFieldMP - life happens, huh? Wink

Good to have you here... we have some still closeted for various reasons, some activists, and we even have a few theists running around; we're an eclectic bunch. It's an international forum and I don't know about you but being out in the sticks myself, I feel lucky to have such a global perspective at my fingertips. Check the place out - I'm sure you'll find some interesting things being discussed.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-03-2013, 10:41 AM
C'est la vie. And welcome.

Want something? Then do something.
31-03-2013, 08:17 PM
I greet you as one Arkansan to Another. I live in the town of Mena, in central western arkansas. And I lol'd at your cat joke. In ancient times cats were revered as gods. They never forgot this.

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
31-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Welcome.
First you and your cats will get along with a few feline fanatics in here.
Secondly how can an ex-Marine be intimidated by girls with crosses?
Lastly you will find a vast array of experiences on here, people still closeted, people outed by others, people dealing with "mixed" marriages, people with family issues because of their atheism, anti-theists, agnostic-theists, gnostic-theists, theists, looney tunes and a guy who started his own religion, oh and another guy who claims he is Christ and we live inside a glass dome and...a fuck it...hopefully you'll stick around and sort it all out Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-04-2013, 02:47 AM
Thanks all!

(31-03-2013 09:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Secondly how can an ex-Marine be intimidated by girls with crosses?

I'm a rather shy person when I'm around strangers, especially good looking ones. It took a miracle for me to work up the courage that first time, too... I mean Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't ask where the book was, that he'd melt my brain. Big Grin

My later visits for Hitchen's "Mortality" & "god is not Great", as well as for Dan Barker's "godless" didn't suffer from this problem though.
[+] 1 user Likes USMCFieldMP's post
01-04-2013, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:18 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
01-04-2013, 06:32 AM
(01-04-2013 02:47 AM)USMCFieldMP Wrote:  ... I mean Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't ask where the book was, that he'd melt my brain. Big Grin
Did he put headphones in your ears and blast loud metal from a Walkman when he did this? Wink

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Welcome from your LA neighbor.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]