NASA Live Stream From Space

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2017, 06:56 PM
RE: NASA Live Stream From Space
I watched a couple videos of 2001 Space Odyssey and compared it to the NASA feed and the Space Odyssey's special effects are pretty damned good. There was no CGI...nothing. I think the movie has held up over the years.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
13-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Quote:I watched a couple videos of 2001 Space Odyssey and compared it to the NASA feed and the Space Odyssey's special effects are pretty damned good. There was no CGI...nothing. I think the movie has held up over the years.

I like the blue danube. TBH I've never actually seen Space Odyssey before. Please don't judge me.

It's good then?

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
13-05-2017, 08:23 PM
(13-05-2017 04:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I keep thinking I hear the Blue Danube in the background.

Yup. I too thought that that was what space sounded like.

Good to know from the OP what it actually sounds like.

It's a relief. Wouldn't it be awful if space sounded like Country Music!?!?!

Ohmy

Unsure

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2017, 08:42 PM
(13-05-2017 08:21 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  
Quote:I watched a couple videos of 2001 Space Odyssey and compared it to the NASA feed and the Space Odyssey's special effects are pretty damned good. There was no CGI...nothing. I think the movie has held up over the years.

I like the blue danube. TBH I've never actually seen Space Odyssey before. Please don't judge me.

It's good then?

Yes. It was directed by Stanley Kubrick who was a master filmmaker. He took years to prepare for a movie and forever to film it. Once in awhile it's shown in a movie theatre which is where I saw it. It was ahead of it's time, though there are elements of an LSD trip from 1968 which kinda date it, but it's still worth seeing......perhaps because of the LSD trip. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-05-2017, 08:34 PM
(13-05-2017 08:21 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  

It's good then?
Worth seeing in my view for the practical effects (it was filmed between 1965 and 1968) which set a new standard at the time of its release. Little-known factoid: most theatrical films are third-generation copies to protect the original negative. Kubric insisted on first-generation prints directly from the original negative for maximum clarity. As a result new prints were seldom made and by 1970 or so the prints you would see in theaters would be horribly beat up and scratched.

People either love it or hate it in terms of the stately pace, the lack of dialog for long stretches, and in particular some people have a WTF reaction to the climactic journey through the alien gate. I remember at the time I saw it (I was only about 12 at the time) that if I hadn't read the book, I'd have no fucking clue what was going on, particularly at the finale.
14-05-2017, 08:36 PM
(13-05-2017 08:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It was ahead of it's time, though there are elements of an LSD trip from 1968 which kinda date it, but it's still worth seeing......perhaps because of the LSD trip. Tongue
It wasn't intended as an acid trip, but as a mind bending space-time journey that nearly drove the protagonist mad with terror.

But, I will grant you, many denizens of the 60's and 70's TOOK it that way. I remember when the "acid trip" sequence began, a hippie sitting behind me in the theater blurted out, "what's that, what's that?!" and then after a pause, a chuckle and "far ouuut, man!"
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
14-05-2017, 08:40 PM
What a pretty speck.

Seriously, our planet is beautiful. Shame we don't take better care of it.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/