NASA finds new type of life form.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2010, 10:50 AM
NASA finds new type of life form.
Quote:NASA Finds New Life

Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn't been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology. I don't know about you but I've not been so excited about a bacteria since my STD tests came back clean. And that's without counting yesterday's announcement on the discovery of a massive number of red dwarf stars, which may harbor trillion of Earths. [NOS—In Dutch]

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

Basically Biology textbooks may have to change. Life does NOT need the right elements to live.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
RE: NASA finds new type of life form.
Meh. I'd like to be more interested in this potentially earth shattering discovery that may very well change the entire way we view biology. However, I'm far too busy worrying about how TSA officers are frisking people in the states. It really is easy to tell which is more important you know. Whatever gets more media coverage MUST be more important. Duh!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Didn't someone create life in a lab that used the same elements as our DNA, but was not similar even 1%?

I think I read that somewhere.

Still a cell which lacks a basic element in place of another, that is pretty mental O-O I think if it wasn't for stupidity this could cause a revolution xD

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
03-12-2010, 12:01 AM
I wonder if that new form of life appeared seperately from our known line or if it went through an extreme evolutionary change. I am looking forward to the answer.
03-12-2010, 08:00 AM
(03-12-2010 12:01 AM)No J. Wrote:  I wonder if that new form of life appeared seperately from our known line or if it went through an extreme evolutionary change. I am looking forward to the answer.

That is a fantastic question. I'm really curious as to what the answer is myself.

I love this kind of stuff. It's great to live in an age when such discoveries are possible, isn't it?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Now of course, the question is: how will the creationists attempt to spin this? To me, this is a huge blow to the whole "things had to be juuuuust right for life to occur" argument from design. But, I can see it now - "See? This life form doesn't appear to share the same common ancestry that all other living things do, therefore God must have popped it into existence. And once again science doesn't know everything, and is changing all the time. Ha!" Wink

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
03-12-2010, 05:30 PM

This might actually validate the theory that life started several times in several different places (and hence evolution began in several different places). There could be an entirely foreign tree of life not related to our own living in the hellish extremities of the biosphere. Suck on that creationists.
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2010, 06:17 PM
(03-12-2010 08:26 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Now of course, the question is: how will the creationists attempt to spin this?

My prophesy is "THE USUAL BULLSHIT." Unlike the bible's prophesies, mine is clear, concise and I will not come up with a stupid excuse if someone proves me wrong. Big Grin
04-12-2010, 06:05 AM
I was really let down that this article wasn't about discovery of life outside of Earth (doesn't NASA know it should only research what I expect them to research? Tongue), but it's still completely amazing! Not to mention how many times more likely this makes it that there is life outside our speck of stardust.

Creationists will definitely use this to support themselves in some way, but I like how it contradicts their earlier proposal that DNA is a signature of God, and that's why all life has it. Sure this also has DNA, but a completely different kind from what we've seen. Did someone forge God's signature? Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
04-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Quote:I was really let down that this article wasn't about discovery of life outside of Earth
Well, the headlines everywhere were ''NASA is going to reveal new revolutionary information about extraterrestial life in 2 days'', but at least the discovery got more attention with those headlines...
Quote:Now of course, the question is: how will the creationists attempt to spin this?
God did it. He saw something missing, and that was microbes that use arcenic. Ummm....?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.